New rifle...

BuzzH

My nephew got a new rifle for Christmas this year, a left handed youth model Rem. 700 in 7-08.

I was in charge of getting it dialed in, and went out this morning to shoot it for the first time.

I tried 3 loads all listed as starting loads.

Took me 5 shots to dial it in at 100...then shot these 2 5-shot groups:

H380 and 140 ballistic tips shots 6-10 ever through the rifle:

0220161146a.jpg

This one with H4350 and 140 ballistic tips, shots 11-15.

0220161146.jpg

Tried a starting load of varget with the next 5, and it didn't shoot well at all.

So, I think I'll play around with the H380 and H4350 a bit more. Need to get my hands on some 120 BT's to give them a try.

So far looks pretty good.

Looking good. I would be happy with those groups.

My nephew got a new rifle for Christmas this year, a left handed youth model Rem. 700 in 7-08.

I was in charge of getting it dialed in, and went out this morning to shoot it for the first time.

I tried 3 loads all listed as starting loads.

Took me 5 shots to dial it in at 100...then shot these 2 5-shot groups:

H380 and 140 ballistic tips shots 6-10 ever through the rifle:

0220161146a.jpg

This one with H4350 and 140 ballistic tips, shots 11-15.

0220161146.jpg

Tried a starting load of varget with the next 5, and it didn't shoot well at all.

So, I think I'll play around with the H380 and H4350 a bit more. Need to get my hands on some 120 BT's to give them a try.

So far looks pretty good.
Are you sure? What about all the Remington's suck and the sub par quality and accuracy stuff people talk about? Better shoot it some more. Nice first loads Buzz. Gonna feed it some Accubonds? mtmuley

I used 120 gr bt factory loads for my son this fall and have been impressed with its performance on deer. My son said he thought the recoil was noticeably less than 140gr hornady whitetail.

I hope your nephew was with you learning the in's and outs of load building. It is the funnest parts of getting a new rifle.

Nice looking groups. So are you using any barrel break in shot sequence, or are you a "just load it and shoot it" type of guy?

Pretty much load and shoot.

I'm using the usual barrel break in...shoot 20 and clean. Repeat that for a while, then clean when I think its called for (not every often).

I don't buy into the shoot one shot clean for 20 rounds, then every 5, clean....none of that. I think its all BS myself.

I think if a barrel/rifle is going to shoot, it will...if the barrel is crap, no amount of "break in" is going to change it.

My opinion.

Are you sure? What about all the Remington's suck and the sub par quality and accuracy stuff people talk about? Better shoot it some more. Nice first loads Buzz. Gonna feed it some Accubonds? mtmuley

Wow! ^^^^^^ This is exactly what I was thinking while looking at those groups. Thanks for putting the dime in for perspective. I have always liked the lines of the 700 and have passed up some good buys on newer product because of the poor reviews.

The fit and feel of new Remingtons is not that great, but for the most part, they still seem to put accurate barrels on them. My newer SPS shoots great, but is rough compared to old Rems.

When they start touching, we start backing up. My best LR rifles, suck at a 100 yrds...1" groups is about the best they will do.

Nice groups. I know every rifle responds differently but I've had good loads with 4350 every time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back