PEAX Equipment

new rifle. rem vs weatherby vs ???

Robertsj22

i have kinda settled myself into getting a new 30 caliber. Its going to be a 308. I have went and held some rifles and what ive found is i really like the raised cheek piece that the weatherby vanguard has and the remington too. So ive narrowed it down to remington 700 mountain ss or weatherby vangaurd ss. Any gun that i should also consider? I know alot of people love the tikka's but the feel of there stock is a complete turn off to me.

You can't go wrong with either of your choices; one will definitely be lighter than the other. The Vanguard is surprisingly hefty. The recommendations for the HOWA also have tremendous merit.

i have kinda settled myself into getting a new 30 caliber. Its going to be a 308. I have went and held some rifles and what ive found is i really like the raised cheek piece that the weatherby vanguard has and the remington too. So ive narrowed it down to remington 700 mountain ss or weatherby vangaurd ss. Any gun that i should also consider? I know alot of people love the tikka's but the feel of there stock is a complete turn off to me.

I have both and like both. But, they're pretty different guns. The Vanguard is quite a bit heavier, 24" barrel, plastic stock, 3 position safety. The Remington is a lighter weight, 22" light contour barrel, glass stock, 2 position safety, and better trigger IMO. But, you'll pay more for the Rem.

I'm a Remington guy, so I'm always gonna choose a M700 or Model Seven over anything else.

I recently bought a Model Seven SS in 308 and replaced the stock with a B&C stock(it has the cheek piece like you like) and love that little rifle.

Weatherby Vanguard in a HS Precision stock, Howa 1500 in a HS Precision stock, Tikka T3X SS in a B&C stock, the Rem 700 mountain SS with a gunsmith truing job are all great options and better than just taking any of them off the rack.

I have my 308 in the vanguard package, but not the SS, and I love it. The only thing I did different with it was to pick up a aftermarket trigger, but honestly the stock trigger shoots well enough. Stock vs aftermarket trigger shaved off like 0.05" for my groupings at 100y.

Looks like they just increased the price on this trigger though... When I bought it, I remember it being about $110. Maybe you could watch for it being on sale to save a few bucks. In the end I wouldn't say changing the trigger is required. It was still light-years ahead of the Remington trigger I learned on.

I really like the Howa/Wby Vanguard rifles. I've got a Vanguard SS in .257 Roy and a 1500 in .243 Win, and both have turned out to be good shooters. The stock 2 stage triggers are really good as well, very comfortable with the take up and break smooth with good hunting rifle weights. I think the Vanguard has a slightly better trigger (not sure if they are the exact same trigger, maybe it's the way they were set at the factory?). I think you'd be happy with either rifle

Reactions: FLS
One consideration with the 700 Mountain SS is you don't get a weight savings with a SA cartridge. When I bought mine, it made the decision to go .280 vs. 7-08 a no brainer.

It's a great rifle and I don't think you'll regret buying one. Mine is accurate as hell for a 6.5 pound setup.

I have 2 SS Rem 700 rifles and 2 SS Weatherby Vanguard rifles. I have developed sub-moa loads for all of them. I pillar and glass bedded all of these rifles, and I have modified all of their stocks to fit me.

Both of these Vanguards have 24" barrels and are in Weatherby's Griptonite stocks. One is chambered in .223 Rem, and the other is in .308 Win. I really like the feel of these Griptonite stocks.

One of my Remingtons is at least 15 years old and is in a Remington plastic stock. It is chambered in 7mm Rem mag, and is one of my most used rifles because I don't have to worry about wet weather. I like this rifle, but if I could put it in a Weatherby Griptonite stock, I would.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness a few months ago. Its a lot lighter than the standard Vanguard and has the raised Monte Carlo cheek piece like you were talking about and might be comparable in price to the 700 Mountain. You might look into the Vanguard Wilderness, if you haven't already. Both would be darn good choices.

I will add that I have a couple of 700's and they are very accurate guns, better than most. Others have mentioned T3X. That too is good advice. I have one in .308 and its my go-to.

I have quite a few different kinds of deer rifles. Weatherby mk v ‘s , Browning , Ruger, Encore, Mauser . Montana Rifle Co.and Remington 700. My favorite set up by far is a Rem 700 xcr2 in a Mc Millan Edge classic stock. It was a lot easier
For me to get just what I wanted by starting with a 700. Everyone has their own wants , likes and budget.

Love the tikka action but the stock is no good

Heard this from a few others. Why do think the Tikka T3x stock is no good ? Any particular reason(s). I have a Tikka T3X Hunter 270 in wood stock and although the action is super smooth and I achieve 1/2inch groups accuracy , I think the recoil is excessive and a bit harsh.

Last edited:
I don't think there any problem with the T3X stock. I've heard the T3s were hollow and kind of noisy, but the newer ones are different. Harder composite and filled with a foam material. I've had a few rifles with composite stocks and Tikkas is pretty good.

I don't think there any problem with the T3X stock. I've heard the T3s were hollow and kind of noisy, but the newer ones are different. Harder composite and filled with a foam material. I've had a few rifles with composite stocks and Tikkas is pretty good.

Thanks Brian. Good to know. Planning to order a Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back