New ranch hand.

hank4elk

Well I broke down last week & went to look at some doggies at the shelter.There was a couple Lab gals to check out. I found this guy and he was the calmest one there & he wanted out of the slammer.
Meet Rio, my new buddy & hike partner. He does not like male dogs( I understand) & cattle. Perfect.
He wants to go out 1st thing in morning to hike tho,gotta slow that down a bit. Only sign he seems interested in is yotes & bunnies. He left a herd of antelope totally alone checking for prairie dogs by the windmill yesterday.They finally went & bed down a couple hundred yards away.
He loves his ranch & rides in both trucks like a pro,inside off the ranch. Hell he can jump right into the closed bed of the F-150...lol. Doc & I think he about 5 & he is very well behaved.A big softy.
rio2nd 046.JPGrio2nd 044.JPGrio2nd 059.JPGrio2nd 061.JPG

Nice looking dog and hopefully a good companion for many years!

What the heck is he though? Looks like a chocolate lab/Doberman mix.

Good on you Hank for using your local animal shelter.........there's lots of good pets there just looking for someone to care. Welcome home Rio !!!

Congrats Hank. Good to have a partner on the ranch. I see that Martin clan agrees with you :hump:

Nice looking dog and hopefully a good companion for many years!

What the heck is he though? Looks like a chocolate lab/Doberman mix.

He's a red dobe,fitting for NM lol. Docked tail & full ears. Been in touch with NM Doberman rescue folks & got real good intel & advice. He is just like my GS's in demeanor.
I was worried I could be stuck during hunting season after 10 yrs of no dogs,but he likes the neighbors too so they can watch him if I'm gone. He might get some anxiety issues over that but we'll work thru it.
He nicely asks to come in or go out. Is a good eater,tho a bit slobbery...lol. He has not bothered one thing here including elk steak thawing on table next to the butter. Does not beg,but does like treats. He loves walks & never runs out of sight really. Heals on command....well several....lol.

Last edited:
love it!!

That is a great find!! I found one of my best dogs in the shelter. Congratulations on your new family member!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back