Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New NM Gov. asks for Game Comish resignations

hank4elk

We were just trying to work out a way for more buffer between Gov. & G&F.
This could be not so good for Hunters & Fisherpeople....& great for horses & wolves.

Our governor is Nuts! Would be better suited for California.

If she wants something, vote the other way!

Hank, can you explain this part:

"The new commission will have to address concerns about hunting permits and whether residents are getting their fair share as mandated in state law. The allocation of hunting tags has been an issue that has transcended administrations."

Are residents not getting the 84% they are supposed to have?

But yeah, these state wildlife agencies absolutely need independence from politics.

Given her stance on most issues that I have seen so far, this development is a bit scary. I am very interested to see who she appoints. Any idea how long that process will take?

"The new commission will have to address concerns about hunting permits and whether residents are getting their fair share as mandated in state law. The allocation of hunting tags has been an issue that has transcended administrations."

But yeah, these state wildlife agencies absolutely need independence from politics.

My friends, who are residents, would be happy if they allocated all the tags to residents. The Republican nominee for governor last year ran on giving all veterans a free licence and guaranteed deer tag, effectively eliminating any chance non residents had of getting a deer tag.

Residents want ALL the tags from what I have seen the last 10 years. Even tho some of the sportsmans groups are in outfitter pool groups. NMWF & such. Full nose snippers if you ask me. They hate landowners too.
They cannot change what is in the book,& the accounts, now. This year.
NMG&F is in it's own budget program. Independant,sort of. Only a $40 mil budget for the 5th largest state.
The Board could be stacked by influencers.
Some big land owners are influencers still,I hope. Ranching is a big deal in NM....hunting & fishing are also.
I do know half a dozen programs are on the line this year,before all this .... E-plus one of them.

Last edited:
Residents want ALL the tags from what I have seen the last 10 years. Even tho some of the sportsmans groups are in outfitter pool groups. NMWF & such. Full nose snippers if you ask me. They hate landowners too.
They cannot change what is in the book,& the accounts, now. This year.
NMG&F is in it's own budget program. Independant,sort of. Only a $40 mil budget for the 5th largest state.
The Board could be stacked by influencers.
Some big land owners are influencers still,I hope. Ranching is a big deal in NM....hunting & fishing are also.
I do know half a dozen programs are on the line this year,before all this .... E-plus one of them.

Oh okay, yeah I assume most residents of Western states would prefer no tags issued to NR if possible. Just thought the law mandated 84% wasn't fully going to residents based on the way that was stated in the article.

Some would like the E-PLUS program eliminated and those LO tags added to the public tag pool. The usual citation is half the "available" Elk tags are LO tags and therefore only available for purchase. Because the majority of those vouchers go to nr, residents claim they aren't getting "their share" of the Elk tags.

Some would like the E-PLUS program eliminated and those LO tags added to the public tag pool. The usual citation is half the "available" Elk tags are LO tags and therefore only available for purchase. Because the majority of those vouchers go to nr, residents claim they aren't getting "their share" of the Elk tags.

They might not mind if they could purchase them for 1/10th of what a NR is charged. TIC, sort of

I see. So double the amount of people hunting on public land thus making private lands "refuges" and then angering ranchers and farmers to the point they start taking matters into their own hands. I certainly have a few issues with the E-PLUS system, notably unit-wide tag designations, but I don't see eliminating private land tags altogether as a positive step.

I see. So double the amount of people hunting on public land thus making private lands "refuges" and then angering ranchers and farmers to the point they start taking matters into their own hands. I certainly have a few issues with the E-PLUS system, notably unit-wide tag designations, but I don't see eliminating private land tags altogether as a positive step.
That is what will happen.
And the ranches will be available to lease ,IF you draw or not, for around $?k on up per year, like TX,MT,WY.
Working with the ranchers has increased the elk herds statewide for everyone. Not working with them is not going to work here ,IMHO.
Any resident can contact a rancher & get a LO tag Authorization . Just like a NR.
I too would like to see UW tags elimintated, or them really being UW & all can hunt the ranch too.

I think it will be interesting to watch. I don't know much about NM politics and the interests that are driving these changes but I know my group of 5 guys spend thousands of dollars yearly in New Mexico, hunting elk when we draw or buy LO tags when we don't. Barring either of those, we hunt deer. I know many other non residents do as well adding greatly to the local economies but I also understand residents wanting tags for themselves. I didn't realize how many land owner tags were available thus reducing the number available for draw. The per capita income in NM can be startlingly low making the LO tags out of reach for most.

Why do UW tags exist at all?

What is wrong with UW tags? It opens up a ton of ground for the average sportsman. They are required to allow access. If they don’t they get kicked out of the program. They finally entered the modern era and maps will be available online starting this year.

I could be wrong but I think it has nothing to do with tags or drawings. I would come closer to believing it will have something to do with lessening the coyote hunting and adding more wolves. The state land comm. is already poised to not allow coyote hunting contests on the state land that she controls. The New Mexico Cattle Growers Assoc. is already up in arms about that. I think that the Game Commission should be elected by the New Mexico HUNTING and FISHING license holders and not be political at all. A random drawing of 10 license holders selected to a group that will offer 15 names and then the 9 with the most votes from NM license holders are appointed.

I think the logic of unit wide tags is that the landowner has elk active on his land some of the year though perhaps not during hunting season. A migration issue perhaps where the elk are there in winter and early spring but not late summer and fall. Not saying that is the case but have heard that as why a Ranch Only tag would be a disaster.

NM residents don't want all the tags. We want NRs to continue to pay over 50% of the license revenues. We actually want them to give MORE NR tags by getting rid of outfitter tags and increasing the NR pool to a Western industry standard 10%.

We also don't mind LO tags...but we want science-based management rather than NM-style corruption to decide which ranches are entitled to a reasonable amount of tags.

I was no fan of the previous anti-public land anti-public access commission. But I suspect I will soon miss the devil I knew...replaced by the anti-hunting, anti-science commission which will soon ban predator hunting and trapping.

Time for serious reform to the Game Commission. NMDGF is self-funded and should be self-governed by science-based policy leaders with the sole interest of wildlife management...not political hacks! Why have a Commission if they are so uninsulated from the Gov's bidding.

Back