Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

new mexico unit 50

kmx2gx

Drew the unit 50 tag. This will be our first time elk hunting. Looking for some info. Looks like a tough unit we are not trying for a trophy but would like to get on elk and have some chances. Going with my brother and a buddy. All of us are in good shape and are willing to go the extra mile if needed. This will be a 2nd archery so Sep 15-24 are the days we are hunting. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Looks to be fairly flat/pinion juniper. Again any info for a few noobs would be awesome thanks!

Hey kmx,

I've got the hunt just before you, 50 first archery. It was a third choice but i'm happy to have it. I was successful in 51 last year but i know 50 is going to be a whole different animal. Probably going to head up and scout later this summer. I'm considering hugging the unit 51 line, or heading east and hunting near the river. Let's keep in touch, and i'll definitely give you a hunt report assuming i can reach you before you head out.

Hey kmx,

I've got the hunt just before you, 50 first archery. It was a third choice but i'm happy to have it. I was successful in 51 last year but i know 50 is going to be a whole different animal. Probably going to head up and scout later this summer. I'm considering hugging the unit 51 line, or heading east and hunting near the river. Let's keep in touch, and i'll definitely give you a hunt report assuming i can reach you before you head out.
That sounds awesome! It’s an any elk tag and I am not picky! Just excited to get a decent tag! Good luck and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Where are you at? Able to do any scouting? I'm in Santa Fe so it's just an hour and a half north of me. Not sure if you've got Gohunt, but according to them the success odds are actually not that bad, considering the draw odds. (I'm guessing the dudes who are successful are locals though). Like you i hunt meat first, then trophies. I'm not a guy who keeps secrets about hunting spots so if i find out anything i'll be sure to let you know. PM me if you want.

Where are you at? Able to do any scouting? I'm in Santa Fe so it's just an hour and a half north of me. Not sure if you've got Gohunt, but according to them the success odds are actually not that bad, considering the draw odds. (I'm guessing the dudes who are successful are locals though). Like you i hunt meat first, then trophies. I'm not a guy who keeps secrets about hunting spots so if i find out anything i'll be sure to let you know. PM me if you want.
I’m in Iowa and I’m moving in July so scouting is not an option for me but we plan on hunting the whole season and giving it everything we have! And anything you could find out would be fantastic! I do have gohunt that’s how we found the unit. Thanks again for any info I have been and will be breaking everything down with onX and google earth.

If this is your first time elk hunting i'd HIGHLY recommend signing up for the elk101 course. I learned things that would have taken me ten years to learn by trial and error, and i'd hunted elk before. It's that good.

If this is your first time elk hunting i'd HIGHLY recommend signing up for the elk101 course. I learned things that would have taken me ten years to learn by trial and error, and i'd hunted elk before. It's that good.
It is my first elk hunt. I’ll definitely look into it! I know what our odds are in filling a tag but we are all just excited to get into the elk woods so we are ready when we finally draw a “glory tag”.

I personally never hunted unit 50 but most of the time that i drive through there i seen quite a few elk always crossing the HWY 285 east to west towards unit 51 around tres piedras to about 6 miles south . good luck guys on great hunt.

Drew the unit 50 tag. This will be our first time elk hunting. Looking for some info. Looks like a tough unit we are not trying for a trophy but would like to get on elk and have some chances. Going with my brother and a buddy. All of us are in good shape and are willing to go the extra mile if needed. This will be a 2nd archery so Sep 15-24 are the days we are hunting. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Looks to be fairly flat/pinion juniper. Again any info for a few noobs would be awesome thanks!

Just left there Saturday. We camped on the north side of Montoso just south and to the west of the old water tank. Had a bull encounter on day 1 (September 7) with no shot. Several hunters around. Had a cow encounter on day 2, both were in the evening. Saw a nice 5 point with 7 cows on the morning of day 3 heading back up to bed. Never could locate them after a chase. Maybe talked to pojoaque40 on top of Pot mountain to the north. If it was him, they killed a cow on the west side of Montoso. As the week progressed and the moon got bigger, we saw less and less activity. Spent the last few day on the top and east side of Pot and hears a few bugles and actually got on to chuckle at my raking, grunting and panting. Bugling didnt seem to gain any attention. No water on top of Montoso but there is water on top of Pot. If you can bivvy hunt, do so if you can to stay on top of Pot, its a long climb! There are elk there but the wood cutting has changed the elk behavior on Montoso from years past. Careful of rattlesnakes, we saw a few! be happy to talk to you and share more info!

Just got back from our hunt. Very tough only a few bulges in the very early hours. We did get lucky and my bro shot this 5x3. Wthis being our first elk hunt we are beyond pleased to be bringing back meat. Thank you for all the help everyone! This was my first but will not be my last elk hunt. I’m hooked for life!

Attachments

• 06E8D253-CE65-44D5-ADBD-9C6874CB96C5.jpeg
    06E8D253-CE65-44D5-ADBD-9C6874CB96C5.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 104
Congrats on the Unit 50 bull! That might be more of a trophy than a 360” in a good unit.

I’ll be there for the first rifle hunt mid October; gonna scout at least once prior to season. Good luck to all hunters in unit 50.

I’ll be there for the first rifle hunt mid October; gonna scout at least once prior to season. Good luck to all hunters in unit 50.
What did you think of the unit from my research it looks like it might be a hard.unit to find elk I was looking into putting it down as a third choice in my application this year.

What did you think of the unit from my research it looks like it might be a hard.unit to find elk I was looking into putting it down as a third choice in my application this year.
Yes…Hard unit to find bulls that time of the year. Saw a total of 6 cows in a week. I’d recommend to swing for the fences and put in for a different unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back