Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Oryx

okdds

Last year I drew a once in a life time tag to hunt oryx on White Sands Missel Range. I shot a decent bull and had a great time. While out on the hunt I found out that I can draw other oryx tags in NM like broken horn hunts, population management hunts and off range hunts for oryx.

My question is anyone on this message board familar with these oryx hunts that are not the once in a lifetime hunt. Specifically has anyone hunted on the population management hunt or has any one tried to hunt oryx off of the WSMR?
Todd

IMO, if you don't live in NM it will be tough to do an oryx hunt off the range, unless you hired a guide. There's a reason the off range hunts run 1 month long; the oryx are scattered and you need to put in some days looking for them. I've seen some nice ones taken off range but I think for the most part it is a meat hunt. You might be better off trying for a broken horn on the range. Your chance of success will be a lot higher and if you are inclined you can have the broken horn repaired by a taxi for mounting. The other option you might consider is getting a private land tag...not sure what a tresspass fee would cost you but I thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck

Thanks for your responce. When I went out last year I hired a guide however after seeing how it's done I can DIY next time. Hopefully there will be a next time.

I have hunted the off range Oryx hunt, once myself and twice with friends. It does take some time and effort to hunt them off range. I am familiar with the areas that we hunted, but doesn't mean they will be there. Out of those three hunts we hunted around six weekends and only took one Oryx. My friend did take a nice Oryx, but we put in a lot of time to find it. If you have a limited amount of time in might benefit you to get a landowner permit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back