Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

One more week until Oryx

Birddog916

I'm one week out from my OIL Oryx tag at WSMR. I can feel the excitement already. I'll be packing this weekend and getting in some last minute long range rifle practice in. I've got my taxidermist lined up and found a butcher that will cut and wrap overnight so we can fly all our meat home. I've also got two good buddies who when they found out I drew volunteered to come and help out. I'll be hunting the Rhodes Canyon area 2/10-2/12. We are staying in Alamogordo. If y'all have any oryx hunting tips? I've never hunted oryx and never hunted in New Mexico to tips would be much appreciated. I'm going to try and keep the updates coming to this thread as the hunt happens. Check back for updates.

One of these days I'm gonna do an out of state guided hunt! Getting long in the tooth and have never been a trophy hunter, always a subsistance hunter. Looked up that Oryx and nice looking animal! Ranch in Texas has them, think it was $3500. Probably the guide is extra, says guide $125. Well have the money and can't take it with me so just might do one of these trips!

Enjoy it and good luck! My OIL tag was for Rhodes as well. It will seem like a mad house when you first head out from the check-in area, but it spreads out fairly quickly. You will be seeing other hunters fairly often. Glass a lot, part of the area is fairly flat, but there are mounds scattered here and there that give good glassing points. It's been a few years since I was there, but don't overlook the small boundary roads. I'll even give up my honey hole (remember this HuntTalk when it's time for me to cash in my karma points), as soon as you go through the gate on day 2 of the hunt take the first dirt road to the right. It'll curve back to the east boundary fence of the WSMR, follow it going north. You'll see oryx, even a few off range, then more on range and then you'll notch your tag.;) Take a good solid tripod and practice shooting off of it, there are lots of areas where shooting from the tripod might be your best bet. If you have extra time going to the White Sands National Monument was worth it in my opinion. Have fun!

.....Take a good solid tripod and practice shooting off of it, there are lots of areas where shooting from the tripod might be your best bet.
Ditto on this, a tall tripod or stand-up shooting sticks. Brush is often too high to shoot prone, sitting, or off a pack, so anything that improves your accuracy on a standing shot can help.

Good luck!

In all seriousness, make sure it is dead when you grab it. Those horns are sharp and can mess you up!

I found a local guy Garcia’s taxidermy. We have talked and I’m meeting him for a some information about judging oryx and hunt locations. He has never drawn but has been on the Rhodes canyon hunt with others many times.
Good deal. If you decide on looking elsewhere Afterlife Taxidermy in Fort Sumner NM and Majors Wildlife Studio in Las Cruces both do extremely good work. And they took 1st and 2nd place in the Masters division at the last taxidermy show. Both do extremely good work and care about the little details

Know what a big oryx is dont shoot the first medium sized oryx you see if it's a on range hunt forsure. Unless that part doesn't matter to you. We had a guy bring in a oryx from a on range hunt. He passes on oryx til he found one he liked. Shot a 39" that flared out at the tops of her horns. Absolutely beautiful animal

Know what a big oryx is dont shoot the first medium sized oryx you see if it's a on range hunt forsure. Unless that part doesn't matter to you. We had a guy bring in a oryx from a on range hunt. He passes on oryx til he found one he liked. Shot a 39" that flared out at the tops of her horns. Absolutely beautiful animal
I'm going to be pretty picky and try for the largest I can. My goal is to get something better than 35 inches. The wife wants a shoulder mount for the dining room, so I'm trying for a good one.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back