MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

One more week until Oryx

Following this post. Hope to draw an oryx tag in NM at some point. Just haven't been lucky yet.

Drew a tag 20 years ago for Red Canyon. It was a one day hunt so the pressure was on. Only thing I can compare the first morning too, after the orientation, was the start of a Bassmaster fishing tournament. Everybody trying to be the first one out of the gate. A 3 day hunt would be fabulous: you will have a better chance to enjoy the experience. The oryx on my unit were not as numerous as other units. 30 hunters shot 21 animals. They stressed not to touch unexploded ordinance. It was everywhere on our unit: sometimes just fins sticking out if the ground. Good luck. You should have a blast.

Attachments

• 60E8798A-7907-42FD-9E69-1E7A13F28AC0.jpeg
    60E8798A-7907-42FD-9E69-1E7A13F28AC0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I'm one week out from my OIL Oryx tag at WSMR. I can feel the excitement already. I'll be packing this weekend and getting in some last minute long range rifle practice in. I've got my taxidermist lined up and found a butcher that will cut and wrap overnight so we can fly all our meat home. I've also got two good buddies who when they found out I drew volunteered to come and help out. I'll be hunting the Rhodes Canyon area 2/10-2/12. We are staying in Alamogordo. If y'all have any oryx hunting tips? I've never hunted oryx and never hunted in New Mexico to tips would be much appreciated. I'm going to try and keep the updates coming to this thread as the hunt happens. Check back for updates.

Guided? If I were to pull that OIL tag I'm on the fence about doing it guided or not, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. curious to hear anyone elses take on that. But I'll be following along, taking notes!

plenty of oryx on that range. here is old map of the range to get an idea of area. love to chase oryx! Good luck! go to the gate the earliest the better! we tagged out not too far from the gate. with new covid around you ll be able to stay in truck and listen to the radio then take off to chase the oryx!!

Attachments

• RCRCOryxUNOFFICIAL-MAP-2019.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Guided? If I were to pull that OIL tag I'm on the fence about doing it guided or not, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. curious to hear anyone elses take on that. But I'll be following along, taking notes!
In my opinion, absolutely no reason to go guided on WSMR. I understand it is OIL, and the tag for a NR is a bunch of $, but this very similar to antelope hunting. Except a lot bigger animal and a lot bigger gun. Off range I might consider a guide.

I found a local guy Garcia’s taxidermy. We have talked and I’m meeting him for a some information about judging oryx and hunt locations. He has never drawn but has been on the Rhodes canyon hunt with others many times.
Garcia's is great. He mounted a mule deer for me a couple years ago. Here is an OIL Oryx he recently did. I'm thinking the form is the one I want for my latest Oryx.

Screenshot_20230202_184445_Facebook.jpg

Robert Major and his team at Major's wildlife studio mount hundreds of Oryx per year. They know what Oryx mounts are supposed to look like and they produce top notch quality.

I'm one week out from my OIL Oryx tag at WSMR. I can feel the excitement already. I'll be packing this weekend and getting in some last minute long range rifle practice in. I've got my taxidermist lined up and found a butcher that will cut and wrap overnight so we can fly all our meat home. I've also got two good buddies who when they found out I drew volunteered to come and help out. I'll be hunting the Rhodes Canyon area 2/10-2/12. We are staying in Alamogordo. If y'all have any oryx hunting tips? I've never hunted oryx and never hunted in New Mexico to tips would be much appreciated. I'm going to try and keep the updates coming to this thread as the hunt happens. Check back for updates.
We just left the area this morning, poking around over in white sands just for fun. Did not get into your area. Good luck, patience and good glass will be key.

Yesterday at 8:12 PM
Well, I wanted an oryx 35 inches or better and I got it done this afternoon with this 37 inch cow. It was the first day of the 2.5 day hunt. I made a 408 yard shot with the new Browning 6.8 western about 2 miles from the truck. There were a lot of big boulders that made for a solid rest. The bullet broke the shoulder and the oryx went down. I shot again just to make sure. We ended up finding a lot of animals above the valley floor. We went high to get away from other hunters and it worked. The oryx seemed to be just below the rocks in the grasslands between the rocks and creosote brush. It was more work, but the whole group we found were all adult animals. It was a great hunt albeit very short. This was my first OIL tag and would recommend this hunt anyone interested. This is a great hunt to do DIY. We rented a 3 bedroom vrbo in Alamogordo for $99 a night and will be watching the super bowl from the house’s couch on Sunday.

I’m happy to have finally hunted New Mexico. All the folks we met were awesome and really helpful. Jacob the barber, the oryx guy, and all the wardens and base staff are top notch individuals. Also, many thanks to the people here on HT for the advice. I would recommend this hunt to anyone interested. There are a lot of rules, but for good reason as WSMR is a very active base. I was lucky to draw. It was only my second year applying. I’ll be back to NM to hunt broken horns or off-range tags eventually.

- Joe

Attachments

• 58AE900E-EF61-49EB-92B8-D6E7AA31314A.jpeg
    58AE900E-EF61-49EB-92B8-D6E7AA31314A.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 28339593-9F20-456E-8E24-02144DB24B41.jpeg
    28339593-9F20-456E-8E24-02144DB24B41.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 118
  • 9C8CFB05-E68E-4298-97F4-BE89FD153624.jpeg
    9C8CFB05-E68E-4298-97F4-BE89FD153624.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 118
Well, I wanted an oryx 35 inches or better and I got it done this afternoon with this 37 inch cow. It was the first day of the 2.5 day hunt. I made a 408 yard shot with the new Browning 6.8 western about 2 miles from the truck. There were a lot of big boulders that made for a solid rest. The bullet broke the shoulder and the oryx went down. I shot again just to make sure. We ended up finding a lot of animals above the valley floor. We went high to get away from other hunters and it worked. The oryx seemed to be just below the rocks in the grasslands between the rocks and creosote brush. It was more work, but the whole group we found were all adult animals. It was a great hunt albeit very short. This was my first OIL tag and would recommend this hunt anyone interested. This is a great hunt to do DIY. We rented a 3 bedroom vrbo in Alamogordo for $99 a night and will be watching the super bowl from the house’s couch on Sunday.

I’m happy to have finally hunted New Mexico. All the folks we met were awesome and really helpful. Jacob the barber, the oryx guy, and all the wardens and base staff are top notch individuals. Also, many thanks to the people here on HT for the advice. I would recommend this hunt to anyone interested. There are a lot of rules, but for good reason as WSMR is a very active base. I was lucky to draw. It was only my second year applying. I’ll be back to NM to hunt broken horns or off-range tags eventually.

- Joe
Cameras weren’t allowed on WSMR when I shot mine. They even checked our truck. Detect a little jealousy? Good looking oryx.

Congratulations, great looking oryx! They really make a great looking mount, I did mine on a pedestal base. If you've never eaten oryx before, you're in for a real treat.
Oryx heart tacos on the menu tonight!

Attachments

• C5F467CE-10B9-4E5B-8EEC-F35C8606EFBF.jpeg
    C5F467CE-10B9-4E5B-8EEC-F35C8606EFBF.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 24

- Joe

Great job @Birddog916 I agree 100% with you. That is a hunt that I would love to do again. Thoroughly loved NM and all that it has to offer.

Cameras weren’t allowed on WSMR when I shot mine. They even checked our truck. Detect a little jealousy? Good looking oryx.
Yeah, the range might take them away again. They mentioned in our briefing they have had problems in recent years. The hardscrabble mountains and the Sacramento Mountains are beautiful. Both mountain ranges jet out of the desert nearly 90 degrees in some places making for a dramatic setting worthy of pictures. I really wanted to take a picture of the setting sun making the Sacramento Mountains glow a purple hue, but refrained due to the current rules of no pictures other than your oryx with no defined landscape.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back