Oryx & Rocks

fishing4sanity

Two years ago I drew my once-in-a-lifetime oryx tag for WSMR (White Sands Missile Range) in New Mexico. This year I drew another tag for WSMR, a broken-horn oryx tag. I've hunted New Mexico three times, prior to this trip it has never worked out to stop at Arches National Park. This time I was able to spend some time in the park and saw some very interesting geology.
DSC_8232-17.jpg
Taking pics on WSMR isn't allowed except for your oryx after it's killed. This isn't WSMR, but it's looking north instead of south into the range, so very similar terrain. Also, a couple of my broken-horn oryx.
image000003-1.jpgimage000001-3.jpg
Not being able to take pics on WSMR makes this more of a rock report than a hunt report but it was an interesting trip all around.
DSC_7947-3.jpgDSC_7972-10.jpgDSC_8004-21.jpgDSC_8024-7.jpgDSC_8053-17.jpgDSC_8083-5.jpgDSC_8125-3.jpg
That last pic is of Shiprock New Mexico. Aside from 3,100 miles of driving it was a trip I'd love to do again.

Congrats! I've always wondered, what is it about oryx that they break their horns? Is this just a common trait for the species? A mineral deficiency for the area? Genetics? Either way, I'd be thrilled to draw the same tag someday.

Look at the compression rings on that old timer! Did it even have any teeth left! It's a cow, right? Kinda hard to tell with ends broken off.

Here's my cow from 2019.2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg
And this year's bull.20220826_112506.jpg
I wish I only had to go 3,000 miles for them!
Best red meat I've ever eaten.

Last edited:
Congrats! I've always wondered, what is it about oryx that they break their horns? Is this just a common trait for the species? A mineral deficiency for the area? Genetics? Either way, I'd be thrilled to draw the same tag someday.
It's because their horns get brittle in freezing winter temps, which causes the horns to break when the animals fight or spar. They can be very aggressive animals. The bulls more so than the cows.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back