New Mexico Bulls

nmelktrout

Happy New Year, Amigos.

Here are a couple of photos from my recent elk hunt in New Mexico with my father. For the first time in many years none of my hunting brothers (Bmack or Casey) were available to join me on a hunt. Not only did that mean that I had to corral my old man without any help in some tough country, it also meant that I had less muscle to help pack meat out of hell holes. I shot this bull on the second afternoon of our hunt. Thanks to his mass, I completely under-judged his size when I first located him and then shot him. I knew I'd shot a good bull, but was floored when I actually walked up to him. It took us 2 days to pack the 275lbs (as weighed at the butcher) of boned meat up and out of the cliffed-out canyons that I killed him in.

My father killed this bull on the last day of our hunt. Tracking this bull ended up being one of the wildest hunting experiences of our lives. My father fell on his rifle the previous day and a chip-shot turned in to a long day of tracking that involved a mother mountain lion and her two sub-adult kitties getting on the blood trail, actually walking up and sniffing my backpack and ultimately running this bull up every steep slope they could find. Amazingly, they pushed the bull back to within a half mile of our camp where we were able to end the chase. They got into the carcass that night and were growling and screaming at us the next morning as we quartered him. The most incredible blood trail I have ever followed.

Here's to a prosperous 2015,

Cody

congrats on a great hunt! That is a super bull you killed ! Just this last week I shot a deer with a bow and gave him a little time. the coyotes got on his trail and pushed the deer making a big circle and he died about 200yds from where I shot him. I was really worried when I saw the coyotes had picked up the trail as it made it very difficult to sort out the trail and I could've easily lost the animal over it.

Wow! Two great bulls. Yours is truly a special animal. Sounds like a hunt for the ages.

Awesome bulls!

Although unfortunate about the poor hit, sounds like a great story to share with the grandkids some day..

Awesome bulls and hunt! Thanks for sharing. That kitty portion of the hunt makes for a great story.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. There really is nothing better than hunting with those that are near and dear to us. I just can't wait until I can do hunts like this with my son.

Lee and J.R., it would have been great to have had you guys in camp! My own fault for not calling.

-Cody

Sound like quite a hunt! Great photos and amazing bulls, congrats. That first bull is thick

Great bulls! yours is a mass monster for sure. Did you score it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back