New Mexico Archery Pronghorn - 2009

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my desk is somewhat cleaned off at the office, took the wife to dinner every night since returning from Nevada, sent the son off to college yesterday, and the truck and trailer are packed and ready to go. Time to "Get the Show on the Road."

Idaho Bugler and I will be in New Mexico late tomorrow night, or early Friday morning. We have archery tags for our third choice unit. Not real worried about what unit, as it is New Mexico, and any unit is a possibility for finding a lunker.

Since I have been through this location before, I know there is some cell service on the high knobs, so I am hoping we can provide daily updates with the new OYOA mobile office system.

Who knows what we will find, but I am sure it will be fun. Looking forward to Spitz coming up for a couple days to join along and spot "Big Hank" for us.

Last year, while in New Mexico, four of us hid behind one Moo Cow to get amazingly close to antelope. This year, we will try tandem pairs of cows, Bessy and Belle, to see just how close we can get. For me, and the way I shoot, I am thinking we need to get within ten yards. Bugler is probably good for five times that distance.

Looks like the August monsoon season has started, and the forecast is for afternoon and evening thunderstorms every day. That much daily rain puts the kibosh on a good waterhole strategy, which is OK. As effective as sitting water can be, I just don't have the patience to sit that long, or the radiator to stay cool.

Looking forward to sending pictures of a good time.

I talked to Bugler a little while ago. With all the smack talking he was doing, I'm thinking the NM pronghorn don't stand a chance. ;)

Good luck to you guys. Looking forward to the updates.

We need pictures of the cows in action, and given that Moosie won't be along, the cows will likely be used for the intended purposes....

Have a great trip, and best of luck.

I want to see the Montana Sheep Decoys being used. I saw the Blowup sheep Bugler had in his Truck that he said he was using for a Decoy.....

Good luck in NM on the antelope. Especially with trying to get with in bow range using the cow decoy. I know you have used it in the past and just recently in NV, but just doesn't seem to work for me. Tried it one day after a buddy shot one at noon from a blind, to just try the rest of the day. Got to rifle range but nothing ever under 150 yds. Tough to abandon the decoy -mid stalk. And on a good lope or deer i rather just try to get as close as possible just sneaking/crawling along. And maybe i will completely run out of cover, maybe something will changed (animals position, land features, weather) or maybe ill just have to regroup and come up with something else. I will be trying the SNS on archery lope the same time in Utah. Good luck, Fish

I too would like to see this "Decoy" in action...that is the decoy being used for it's intended purpose. Post some pictures! Thanks

Good luck guys! Looking forward to the daily posts. Roll through 2B on the way and give us an outlook for the upcoming deer season.:D

I think Fin has the touch with a Bessy The Cow Montana Decoy. I'm guessing there will be an arrow or two in the air.

Good luck,
NVLongbow

Good luck you two. That cow thing should be interesting hope it works for you. I have killed a few lopes my self with a bow and some times it is dang tuff. But knowing the bugler the way I do he should be able to get done.

Man, it rained all night and a good portion of the morning. I am to tired from driving to type much. We got in at 2:00 am. Bugler has been taking photos like crazy. I will let him tell his stories.

So far, the funniest part of the hunt is the guide and client who drove up on us this morning, while glassing. We start talking, and the guide tells Bugler how many tags there are for this unit, and I am thinking that ain't right. I tell him how lucky we all are to have tags for Unit "X". He turns and looks to the guide and says, "My tag is for unit Y, why are we over here in Unit X?"

Guide doesn't have maps or regs, and doesn't seem to think I know what I am talking about. I break out maps and regs, and show them where we are. The guide claims he knew all along that he was in the wrong unit and was just playing a trick on the client.

Needless to say they drive off, and we continue glassing that 86+ buck that Bugler will toast tomorrow.

More later, after a nap. Need to get some rest before Spitz shows up and gets the party going tonight.

We seem to be having some technical difficulties. Last night I posted my pics of the mechanical difficulties we had on the way down, but it is not here. Hmmmm?

Only my superior mechanical talents, combined with Bugler's engineering supervision was able to get us back on the road. Seems the trailer light plug came out in SLC. By the time we got to Moab, it had been ground down to nothing, while dragging along behind. And, while fixing that, we noticed a trailer light was out, so $90 later, and we were on the road again. Would have made the pit crew for the #24 car jealous.

Pics tell the story.

P1100498.JPG

P1100501.JPG

P1100509.JPG

P1100510.JPG

P1100513.JPG

Well like fin said we got in at 2:00 am. The drive was easy talking with fin the whole time about hunting. It also helped we were seeing hundreds of elk and deer on the sides of the road. Anyway we pull over just outside the unit and sleep in the truck. I get the back seat and fin gets the back in the shell.

P1100518.JPG
P1100519.JPG

Did we mention rain?
P1100516.JPG
P1100517.JPG

Welcome to New Mexico..... The welcome sign 120 miles past the border. NICE!!!
P1100521.JPG

Attachments

• P1100563.JPG
    P1100563.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 519
The first part of the morning had us scared. No antelope sightings for the first 5+ miles. But after we found the pocket of goats they were everywhere. Here are a couple we were able to get pics of.

Attachments

• P1100558.JPG
    P1100558.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 511
  • P1100559.JPG
    P1100559.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 517
  • P1100560.JPG
    P1100560.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 531
  • P1100561.JPG
    P1100561.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 515
  • P1100562.JPG
    P1100562.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 519
Nice goats.

I expect Big Fin, being a well documented and incurable antelope junkie, is pretty antsy to get after them!

These updates are great! Go get'em!!!

I'm just about to ditch work and find these guys up in the Land of Enchantment and get the party that is opening weekend started. Will update with uncensored pics and story.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back