Caribou Gear Tarp

Sunburn, rattlesnakes, and elk.

That is kind of gutsy to go all in on a tag that you don't know anything about other than species! You made good work of it, congrats!

Deer hunt was unsuccessful. Really enjoyed my time on the mountain.

Attachments

• IMG_8134.jpeg
    IMG_8134.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8136.jpeg
    IMG_8136.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8139.jpeg
    IMG_8139.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8144.jpeg
    IMG_8144.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8145.jpeg
    IMG_8145.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8149.jpeg
    IMG_8149.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8150.jpeg
    IMG_8150.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8153.jpeg
    IMG_8153.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 71391960327__9ECF4285-A3A7-40DC-8DBB-0C066C0E81E8.jpeg
    71391960327__9ECF4285-A3A7-40DC-8DBB-0C066C0E81E8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8162.jpeg
    IMG_8162.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Last planned hunt in Nevada this year is in the books. Had a shorter than the ear pronghorn tag in North East Nevada.

My plan was to leave work on Friday and head up to my unit. I had a friend from work tag along for this hunt. I didn’t even have a spot picked out until we stopped for a bathroom room break in Elko. I looked for a good glassing spot marked it on the map and we headed there. Google maps had me go the right way but ONX showed a shorter way and I went the shorter way. Going the shorter way I ran into the road being gone and we were about 3/4 of a mile from where I wanted to glass from.
We woke up at 0430 and headed out to the glassing spot. When we started up the hill to the glassing spot I realized it was all rim rock with no easy way up the hill. We tucked into so rocks watching a basin. As soon as it got light enough to glass I spotted a group of 7 pronghorns about 800 yards away and what looked like an easy stalk. I picked out a big rock as the goal to get to. We started the walk and when we got to about 25 yards of the big rock my buddy gets my attention and the pronghorns have moved down the hill and were looking at us. I picked out the biggest doe at about 100 yards and she was facing me. I took the shot and it looked like she went down. After the shot pronghorns went running everywhere. We went down the hill and I was expecting to see a down pronghorn… Nothing. We searched the hill side for about an hour not a hair not a drop of blood nothing. Clean miss.

We started heading to where they went to. Glassed for them and decided we would start back toward the truck as the place we were hunting wasn’t very big and I feel like it’s a spot that’s overlooked. As we crested the hill a pronghorn doe with 2 fawns was looking at us. They took off and we watched where they headed to. We turn to go to the truck again and I see 3 pronghorns go into a little draw off the hill we were on. I drop my pack and head towards them. There was a good size doe but I would have to shoot standing up off hand and there was another pronghorn behind her, No shot. I try to get closer and I look to my left and see them running; 2 does and a really nice buck.
As we head to the truck there are a 3 pronghorns about 300-400 yards away from the truck. We drop behind a hill to get closer. When we pooped back up we couldn’t find them. We drop back out of sight and move closer. We came up on a fresh scrape and still couldn’t find the 3 pronghorns. I move down this hill thinking that they have moved over the hill. Boom the 3 pronghorns are up and running, dang. They aren’t real spooked and pretty soon they stop and start to feed over the hill. We haul butt to try and cut them off. We get to that side of the hill start heading to where they should be. There is a pronghorn standing in the path. It moves on up the hill and I ease around the hill and there are 3 prongs horns looking at me at about 50 yards. I make sure the horns are shorter than the ears and Boom!!! She falls right there and pronghorns erupt from everywhere, there was about 10 pronghorns in this herd. They run a big circle around us and end back about 100 yards away just looking at us. I looked at my watch it’s 0900. It was the funnest big game hunt I’ve ever been on!! Got her quartered out and the road was only about 150 yards away so we carry the game bags and everything down to the two track and I go get the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpeg
    IMG_8345.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts