New Ice Auger; What should I be looking at?

The K-Drill is a great economic and space saving option, especially if you already have an 18V or higher cordless drill. I have the 6" and it works great for trout out here in Oregon.

Ross, I just got an 8” Ion for Christmas. So far I’m really happy with it. The reverse function is nice to keep less water and chips from accumulating up on the ice. Another reason I picked the Ion over a Strikemaster is the blade design since I do fish in places that occasionally get a bunch of sand/dirt blown onto the ice and supposedly the Ion blades will keep their edge longer. Also read some reviews online that claimed the Strikemaster blades can leave a sharper edge on the ice at the bottom of the hole and lead to more broken lines. Those reviews were a few years old so that might not be an issue any longer. I got the 8” inch for faster and easier drilling. I usually just drill a second hole right next to the one I fish through for any electronics. I was able to squeeze this guy through an 8” hole and don’t expect to catch anything much bigger.View attachment 209836

That is a fantastic fish! Thanks for the heads up Travis, I hope I am posed with the problem of trying to get a fish like that back up through the hole...

Theat, I am guessing that wasn't a guy you pulled through the hole, but a big ol' gal. man, what a fish! How big? Good fight? Give us the story!

Go electric no doubt. I have the Strike Master 10" my partner has the ION 10". If you're trying to cut weight go with the ION as the auger fins are plastic. If you want metal go with the Strike Master. We fish hard in the winter (3-4 times a week) and we have never been able to kill a battery during the day and drilling more holes that most people would.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back