New Hunting Rig ?

New Hunting Rig ?

• Chevy Trail Boss Z71

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Toyota 4Runnner TRD Pro

Votes: 36 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the Chevy's and GMs, they started putting turbocharged V4s in some of them in 2019. I just picked up a gently used 2020 Silverado and it took me a while to find the V8. Glad I did, truck is a beast. I test drove one of the V4 models and it just doesn't feel right, sound right...you can't put a V4 in a full-size truck, come on man!

P.S. - If you're cool with the V4, you can get a deal on a new truck. They are obviously having a hard time selling them. This dealership in PA is discounting them pretty heavily.

Last edited:
I heard the 10 speed transmission is being dropped as it's reliabilty has not been very good. I was told there going back to a 8 speed.
Not even close to the truth there. I work at a GM store. Yes, there are slightly more mechanical problems with the 10 speed vs the 8 speed. The 8 speed shifts like pure dog crap if the shift points get out of whack. The 6 speed trannys are pieces of junk. Expect no more than 80k out of them.

As far as who designed them, GM was 100% the 8 and Ford 100% the 10. The 8 is a pump driven and the 10 a chain driven transmission. I would take the 10 speed 11 out of 10 times.

With the Chevy's and GMs, they started putting turbocharged V4s in some of them in 2019. I just picked up a gently used 2020 Silverado and it took me a while to find the V8. Glad I did, truck is a beast. I test drove one of the V4 models and it just doesn't feel right, sound right...you can't put a V4 in a full-size truck, come on man!

P.S. - If you're cool with the V4, you can get a deal on a new truck. They are obviously having a hard time selling them. This dealership in PA is discounting them pretty heavily.
V4?

It was on Utah400elk’s list, which is why I suggested getting the one that won’t need expensive turbos replaced . I have several friends that have had their eco boost turbos go out around 100k miles.
Hope you get a few good seasons out of that ram’s tranny 😉
Just traded my 06 Ram for a new one. The 06 had 250k and other that normal wear items only had to replace the fuel pump. No other issues with it or the prior 3 Ram's I've had. Guess I got lucky and had a good one (4 times :) )

Buy a Toyota, resale alone is worth it. I have a 14 4runner, 82,000 and I could sell it for 25k tmrw.

Check the Other option....
I have a 98Tacoma 4x and a 01 F-150 Offroad. I'm 6'2" and no problems with the legs in them,but it's just me and the dog. Once in a while a real passenger. Both bought as newer used and very few problems with either. Lots of miles on them both,344k T & 133k F150. I sold my 1st Toyota 4x with 500k on it and my last F-250 had 565K on it........
Have not owned a Dodge,Chevy,or GMC since the 70's & they were 60's & 50's trucks.
Only fleet trucks I drove for 20 yrs were Dodge,Chevy,& GMC and they were junk with bad paint jobs.
Look around for another option,IMHO

Looking buy my first true hunting rig. Currently driving a 97 Dodge Dakota that’s a 2WD been stuck in the desert already with it. Have my heart set in a Tacoma in double cab with the TRD OFF ROAD trim in a long bed.I’ve been told a long bed is more of a hassle then a helpful thing to have in the back country. I live and hunt in mostly Southern California but plan to make trips to Utah,Nevada and Arizona as well. Any insight will be greatly appreciated thank you in advance!

I’m looking for a new hunting rig next year 2021 what would be your choice and why ? My current rig is a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71 with Leer topper.
I would like something a little smaller for forest trails, just FYI I’m 6’2 and a Tacoma is to small inside, a 4Runner is not.
I live in Iowa and go West annually Big Game hunting but I Duck hunt a lot also in Iowa and tow a 16’ Lowe Jon boat.
I would like better off-road performance. Why no Ford or Dodge, if I go the truck route I have $3,800 n a GM credit card.
Why Chevy ? I have had a ford truck a Chevy truck and my current GMC truck Professional Grade B.S. no it’s not any better, actually the worst of the three.
What would you buy and Why ? Thanks
The new Ford Ranger they have lots of room and lots of power. only drawback is not as many accesories cuz there new. I have two buddies with them. One pulls a full size camper. The other has horses.

Looking buy my first true hunting rig. Currently driving a 97 Dodge Dakota that’s a 2WD been stuck in the desert already with it. Have my heart set in a Tacoma in double cab with the TRD OFF ROAD trim in a long bed.I’ve been told a long bed is more of a hassle then a helpful thing to have in the back country. I live and hunt in mostly Southern California but plan to make trips to Utah,Nevada and Arizona as well. Any insight will be greatly appreciated thank you in advance!
I don’t think you can get TRD OR with 4 doors and 6’ bed. Just short bed and 4 doors or regular bed and 2 doors. if you want both the longer bed and 4 doors no off-road pkg available.

I have a Frontier and had the same decision to make. There is no wrong answer. 4dr 6’ bed is full-size length and turning radius territory. But you can always upgrade tires and suspension to get the bull of benefits of OR pkg.

If I were to re-do it I’d stick with one of the “normal” options. IMO mid-size trucks should be small and if you need more size then get a 1/2ton. Having said that I kinda can’t imagine having anything less than a 6’ bed. Already seems tiny.

I have a 09 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 long bed (6.5 ft) and bought it to just hunt out of and love it, I’m pretty hard on it and have taken it done pretty nasty places love having the long bed and wouldn’t even consider the short bed.

I had a 2009 Double Cab, SR5, 4x4 with the 5 ft bed. It was a great truck, treated me well and got me everywhere I wanted to go. However, almost every time I used it for outdoor adventures I was doing gymnastics trying to fit what I needed into the bed and back seat while swearing under my breath. Even though I know it will limit my access a little I just will not have a truck without an 8 foot bed again. Heck, that is why I went all the way to Ohio to get my Supercab, 8ft bed F150.........all hail Jack!!!!!

I went from a 2017 Tundra to 2020 GMC 1500 , with the 6.2. I have been more then pleased with the truck. My toyota had quite a few rattles after the 2nd year, and mileage was pretty poor. I have towed a good sized Yarcraft with both trucks, no comparison, GMC hands down. In the 1 1/2 yrs I have owned the GMC, I have did regular service and at 13,000 miles , 0 issues.

I went from a 2017 Tundra to 2020 GMC 1500 , with the 6.2. I have been more then pleased with the truck. My toyota had quite a few rattles after the 2nd year, and mileage was pretty poor. I have towed a good sized Yarcraft with both trucks, no comparison, GMC hands down. In the 1 1/2 yrs I have owned the GMC, I have did regular service and at 13,000 miles , 0 issues.
I'm surprised the Toyota guys haven't piled on. Toyota's engine can't even compare to the LS series. I've owned GMC trucks exclusively. Great trucks. mtmuley

Back