New Hunting Rig ?

• Chevy Trail Boss Z71

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Toyota 4Runnner TRD Pro

Votes: 36 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1100RemingtonMan

I’m looking for a new hunting rig next year 2021 what would be your choice and why ? My current rig is a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71 with Leer topper.
I would like something a little smaller for forest trails, just FYI I’m 6’2 and a Tacoma is to small inside, a 4Runner is not.
I live in Iowa and go West annually Big Game hunting but I Duck hunt a lot also in Iowa and tow a 16’ Lowe Jon boat.
I would like better off-road performance. Why no Ford or Dodge, if I go the truck route I have $3,800 n a GM credit card.
Why Chevy ? I have had a ford truck a Chevy truck and my current GMC truck Professional Grade B.S. no it’s not any better, actually the worst of the three.
What would you buy and Why ? Thanks

I'd go with the Chevy mainly because I'd rather have a pickup. If you're looking for something smaller than your current truck why not look at the Chevy Colorado? The crew cab long bed is similar length to a full size, but quite a bit narrower so its way more nimble on tight trails. Its not the greatest off road but its honestly not that bad. Get slightly larger heavier ply tires and it helps a ton. A level kit or small lift would be nice too, but I've gotten by the last three seasons without anything and haven't done any damage. You could also get a ZR2 and really get after the offroading. That thing with the diesel would be a really nice hunting rig.

I just had the Tacoma off road double cab. I am 6’4”, my wife is 5’11”, and my son (12) is now 5’6”. He is projected to be 6’7”. My grandfather was 6’11”. Needles to say, we have a leg room issue in the Tacoma and could not all ride in the vehicle comfortably. So...I just sold my 2017 Tacoma. The crazy thing is, I sold it for $1500 more than I bought it for. It was in immaculate condition and had 27K miles.

I am now in the hunt for a new off road hunting rig. I am moving back to DC for work for a couple years and won’t need the vehicle for two years. I have high hopes for new Bronco (huge cool factor). I tell my wife that might be my mid-life crisis vehicle in lieu of a corvette.

Toyota is in the middle of a re-design for the Tundra so I want to see what they do with that and the Ford F-150 is nice. All that said, the 4 runner will hold value like crazy and we have actually test driven it. When equipped with the 3rd row option, the rear seats will slide back and give our family enough leg room in the 2nd row. I have always wanted to do a old bronco rebuild and love the looks of the new bronco but it’s very hard to pass the Toyota reliability and resale value. I won’t buy first year redesigns. Both the Bronco and new a Tundra are at least two years out for me to really consider. My concern with the F150 is the reliability of the eco boost engine. The bronco would have to have the 2.7 and the Sasquatch package.

I'm sure the reason ford was not on the list of possible choices is because he didn't want to spend all his hunting time walking out to find someone to tow the ford out. ;)
It was on Utah400elk’s list, which is why I suggested getting the one that won’t need expensive turbos replaced . I have several friends that have had their eco boost turbos go out around 100k miles.
Hope you get a few good seasons out of that ram’s tranny 😉

It was on Utah400elk’s list, which is why I suggested getting the one that won’t need expensive turbos replaced . I have several friends that have had their eco boost turbos go out around 100k miles.
Hope you get a few good seasons out of that ram’s tranny 😉
I was referring to the OP of this thread who had Chevy and Toyota on it.

I’m looking for a new hunting rig next year 2021 what would be your choice and why ? My current rig is a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71 with Leer topper.
I would like something a little smaller for forest trails, just FYI I’m 6’2 and a Tacoma is to small inside, a 4Runner is not.
I live in Iowa and go West annually Big Game hunting but I Duck hunt a lot also in Iowa and tow a 16’ Lowe Jon boat.
I would like better off-road performance. Why no Ford or Dodge, if I go the truck route I have $3,800 n a GM credit card.
Why Chevy ? I have had a ford truck a Chevy truck and my current GMC truck Professional Grade B.S. no it’s not any better, actually the worst of the three.
If you want smaller than a Silverado and upgraded off road performance in a GM, look at the Colorado ZR2. Can be had with a diesel. mtmuley

If you want smaller than a Silverado and upgraded off road performance in a GM, look at the Colorado ZR2. Can be had with a diesel. mtmuley
I sat in one and the Cab is to small for me being 6’2 but the Bison is a impressive machine. I have test drove a Trail Boss & 4Runner. and I fit in both. Surprised the truck gets more mpg

Watch FB marketplace. Sometimes you can find a good deal. I found a 92 4x4 Silverado with good body and frame with a freshly rebuilt transmission and transfer case for $1500. I'm going to drop a new crate engine in it due to the mileage and burning some oil. So, I have an amazing hunting rig that will last me for several years for all in total about $4500. It even has a cool cassette deck ;)

Watch FB marketplace. Sometimes you can find a good deal. I found a 92 4x4 Silverado with good body and frame with a freshly rebuilt transmission and transfer case for $1500. I'm going to drop a new crate engine in it due to the mileage and burning some oil. So, I have an amazing hunting rig that will last me for several years for all in total about $4500. It even has a cool cassette deck ;)
Those are great trucks. I had a couple GMC's of that 88-98 era. Put almost 300K on both of them. Good find Cush. mtmuley

I personally think the Tundra looks the beat in the 1500 series. The gas mileage and lack of, for lack of better words, refinement, are the only hold back. I want to see what there new v6 twin turbo engine does for the truck.

I really want the Bronco but I am afraid the 3500 tow capacity might not be enough.

I have nothing but time and think, right now, the F150 is a much nicer truck than the tundra. The 4 runner might be a good compromise and might be what I need

I'm 6-2 also, and have put about 300k on a '97 Ranger with no complaints. Maybe I'm long-torsoed and have stubby legs though, lol.

I'd just drive each and make a decision off that. I think they're both pretty nice rigs.

Have used an 03 duramax for 13 years and have towed and gone in places that you wouldn’t believe on a regular basis. Had an injector line blow up once in the mountains and that is it. Most of what I drive off-road is hard substrate. the weight and power of a diesel on hard ground And hills is a huge advantage. Don’t go on sand or deep mud though. bought in 07 for 21 grand and kept well maintained. First diesel I owned and it is the only way to go out here. In 4l the thing is a beast. Pulled a lot of gas trucks out of drifts with it. It is really beat up but i Love it.

If you’re going to be towing anything, I would not recommend the 4Runner. I just did a 450 mile jaunt today from UT to MT in my 2019 pulling a flat utility trailer with < 1000# on it. Tried to roll 75-80mph. Constant downshifting, no power going uphills, and averaged about 12mpg. If gas mileage is going to be that bad, it should at least come with some power! The rig does great off-road, but it’s woefully underpowered.

My first truck was a hand-me-down '91 Silverado 4x4 short bed, loved that rig...

Just picked this 2018 Silverado up with 14k miles, is the double cab which isn’t AS convenient as the crew, but for a loss if 8” and myself only having one child at the moment...saving the bucks over the crew is worth it. You can easily fit two adults in the back and kids are a breeze. It came with the 6’6 bed as well and will be getting a topper and a bed/storage setup for hunts. It’s a good compromise in my opinion for saving money and still remaining full sized. You do have less room in the back but still more than the Tacoma’s, etc in the front and have more towing capacity, payload, cargo room, the same fuel mileage. Is wider in the mountains but usually balances out capability wise from having more weight than the tacos ans midsizers who’s beds weigh all of a hundred pounds and tend to spin and slide in snow. Outfitted with decent tires and chains you’re good to go. Purchased this for less than any of the ecoboosts can be found with less than half the miles on average and also being a 2018.

Attachments

• 42E448E7-E75B-4BE7-AB58-06EF7F04BE41.jpeg
    42E448E7-E75B-4BE7-AB58-06EF7F04BE41.jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 27DC8F71-0FB2-4882-99F8-A7734D7C0CDC.jpeg
    27DC8F71-0FB2-4882-99F8-A7734D7C0CDC.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads