New Hunting Rig ?

New Hunting Rig ?

• Chevy Trail Boss Z71

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Toyota 4Runnner TRD Pro

Votes: 36 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the Trail Boss has electric locking front and rear differential it would work for Me. I don’t need crazy HP as I would prefer MPG

As far as I know, the front doesn't lock and the rear is the G80 locker which is mechanical. There's no button you press it just does it automatically when it senses slip. I have it in my truck and it works, but it can be a little harsh. The wheels have to spin for a bit before it locks up. Wish there was just button to press so you knew it was locked.

Yes that is exactly how it works nrpate05. They need to be electric. TFL Truck YouTube has a great comparison of the Chevy Trail Boss and 4Runner. If you watch you will see the weekness of the G80 locker not very refined for 2020. When I had a Ford F-150 with no rear locker and I got stuck one day in a off camber situation front left tire in mud and back right tire in the air the other two tires were on frozen dirt about like concrete and I could not move as it put power to the wheels that turn the easiest. What a joke a 4x4 truck that was. I would not buy a Truck with out a rear locking differential. What I want is some help up front also in a 4 wheel drive.

Sample size of one, but my experiences with my current work vehicle will likely eliminate any chance of me ever buying a Chevrolet.

I can think of a couple of examples off the top of my head that would dispute this assessment, but to each their own.
Well, the LS series of engines was introduced in 1999. They have powered everything from pickups to Corvettes and still are. Picked right up where the venerable small block left off. If there is a better gas engine available, what is it? mtmuley

The GM LS engines are the best gasoline engines made. I'd rather have more cubic inches than less with a turbo. Paired with the new 10 speed transmission, tough to beat. mtmuley

I heard the 10 speed transmission is being dropped as it's reliabilty has not been very good. I was told there going back to a 8 speed.

I heard the 10 speed transmission is being dropped as it's reliabilty has not been very good. I was told there going back to a 8 speed.
Where did you hear that? The transmission was developed between GM and Ford jointly. Weird, but it was. Still being used by both automakers as far as I know. If the Camaro ZL1 1LE couldn't break that tranny, what could? mtmuley

Well, the LS series of engines was introduced in 1999. They have powered everything from pickups to Corvettes and still are. Picked right up where the venerable small block left off. If there is a better gas engine available, what is it? mtmuley
I’m not going to argue this and detract from the OPs thread. Suffice to say I don’t like walking nor do I like tow trucks.

I’m not going to argue this and detract from the OPs thread. Suffice to say I don’t like walking nor do I like tow trucks.
The OP asked about a vehicle equipped with an LS engine. Except for the import. mtmuley

You may think it’s funny but I don’t. Carry on.

Now, that made me chuckle.

Now to be fair,,, an engine is far less likely to let a person down than,,,,,,,, say a transmission.

Over the years, I've had some offering from each of the big three domestic auto makers. My experience is that they are making much better rigs than way back in the day. I had a 76 Ford Pickup that was easily the worst truck I have ever owned. Of course back then if you lived where they salted the roads a Chevy would rust out in short order.

Now, that made me chuckle.

Now to be fair,,, an engine is far less likely to let a person down than,,,,,,,, say a transmission.

Over the years, I've had some offering from each of the big three domestic auto makers. My experience is that they are making much better rigs than way back in the day. I had a 76 Ford Pickup that was easily the worst truck I have ever owned. Of course back then if you lived where they salted the roads a Chevy would rust out in short order.
The best engine in the world isn’t worth much if the pickup around it isn’t reliable, but yes you are correct. My indictment of the engine probably should have been levied at the surrounding parts. That make a pickup.

Now, I gotta get back to cleaning out my imported Chevrolet so it can go into the shop tomorrow for the fifth time with 49k miles on it.

The best engine in the world isn’t worth much if the pickup around it isn’t reliable

That has more or less been my thoughts about the Dodge Ram pickup with the Cummins engine.

That has more or less been my thoughts about the Dodge Ram pickup with the Cummins engine.
And it’s relatively true, although neither of mine ever left me completely stranded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back