New Hunter Here!

JenH

Hi all!

First time on this forum. This is actually my first season hunting. I was one of those folks that "just didn't get it". I do now. My husband is an avid hunter and has majority of his life. After 18 yrs of marriage - I am now right there with him in the field. This deer season, I have seen it all. The frustration, the cold, the getting my feet soaking wet even with waterproof shoes! I love it. I cannot stop thinking about the hunt. I have always been huge into hiking, but hunting is definitely the next level. A lot of my friends look down on me, but I have to explain to them the conservation aspect and they seem okay with it then - either that or they are lying to get me to shut up.

To backtrack a little, I started hunting with my husband when we moved to South Dakota - for Mountain Lions! People thought I was insane. Didn't get one, but those memories are worth the miles and miles we covered. Just like now, this past weekend 24 miles - deer everywhere - on private land across from walk in! We going tomorrow. I have been researching every aspect of hunting deer in this area.

I will say the most excitement was being there when both my kids tagged out. They fed their family! For a child to know that they have the power to do that, the power to put food on the table - I cannot explain it.

Hopefully I will fill my tag before Thanksgiving!

Zoey Deer.jpg
Erik Deer.jpg

Welcome to the club! (and the forum). You have an important perspective that many people miss. Most of us have probably grown up hunting, but to come into as an adult you are better able to educate people on how you transitioned into the sport.

Welcome to the club! (and the forum). You have an important perspective that many people miss. Most of us have probably grown up hunting, but to come into as an adult you are better able to educate people on how you transitioned into the sport.

See- you can teach an old dog new tricks! I am almost 40 yrs old. I love going outside my comfort zone to prove to myself I am not old! And, yes, I grew up a city girl, in Dallas, TX. I love telling my friends all about hunting, even my boss told me he has learned so much from me.

My wife is a reformed City girl too. She enjoyed the game meat I would feed her and enjoyed shooting the guns I bought for her for fun. It was a natural progression for her to decide to want to hunt. Now we hunt together a lot of the time. There's nothing like sharing a sunset over the prairie with your wife, even when she didn't shoot anything. Her excitement was incredible when she shot her first game animal. A doe pronghorn. That made it all worthwhile to me. That night I grilled HER backstrap and she was so proud of herself for providing dinner and meat in the freezer.

Welcome, hope to see many post's by you and your family of hunters.... good luck on your tag. My wife and kids love hunting, my wife got a doe mule deer with her bow and a cow elk with the rifle this year, she has had lots of fun, we got married 12 years ago and she had never hunted before that, while we were dating she took her hunter safety, and now she is addicted to feeding our family, it's awesome, we get to start with our 9 year old daughter this next spring, she passed her hunter safety this past May, again good luck,
Matt

Welcome! My wife had never hunted until we got married. I think she took it up just too spend more time with me but, now she loves it as much as I do!

Hi Jen, welcome to the forum! My husband also introduced me to hunting many years ago and now I think I drive him crazy at times because I get so antsy to go! The great thing about hunting is there are always new challenges to try - new places, new species, new weapons. Hope you enjoy all the opportunities the sport has to offer!

Hi Jen, welcome to the forum! My husband also introduced me to hunting many years ago and now I think I drive him crazy at times because I get so antsy to go! The great thing about hunting is there are always new challenges to try - new places, new species, new weapons. Hope you enjoy all the opportunities the sport has to offer!

I told him I want to try bow hunting next season. We have an archery range on our base (indoors and outdoor) so I can definitely practice. :) He was actually really cool with it and now he wants to get into that too!

Go for it! I took up bird hunting about 5 years ago. That's been fun, especially after we got and trained our first bird dog. I'm kinda thinking a sea duck hunt looks interesting...my hunting bucket list keeps growing all the time. Need more time and money! ;)

Welcome! You've obviously done a great job with the kids.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you have taken the initiative to hunt. Might take even more courage to post on this forum, but with Cushman as the moderator for all posts by new members the welcoming committee is under good supervision. Look forward to more of your posts.

Congrats to your family and their success.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back