Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New hunter apprentice tags

teamhoyt

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/apprenticeHunter/default.html

I just saw this on the FWP website, My 11 year old is going to be so happy. She is taking hunter ed in 2 weeks and her mom told he she could hunt this fall. I had to tell her the bad news that just cause she would have HS she still had to be 12 to hunt. it appears this changes all of that! But it doesn't really talk about an effective date when the program begins, also if they are allowed to hunt during the regular 2 day youth time period.

just called Helena and this IS for this fall, they can get their certificates beginning Monday BUT must do it in person at an FWP office. I asked about them being able to hunt during the 2 day youth season and they said probably but it wasn't specified in the law so the commission will be setting that in this months meeting. BTW my daughter is now FREAKING out! going to be a great fall!

Heard about it from a, now former, poster of the site over the weekend. Just bought his 10yo a 243 Tikka Compact to start getting ready. IMO, a good move! Good luck to all that use this opportunity to take a kiddo out.

This program has made my son a pretty happy ten year old. I see they addressed the objections many people had about adults filling their kids elk tag by not allowing a mentored hunter to buy an elk tag under the age of 15. Seems appropriate to me.

I am a landowner and there will be no youth hunting my land unless they have hunter safety. I think HS is critical!

Back