Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

new gun keeps misfiring

jlturner

Hey guys I just purchased a cva optima 50 cal, and the weapon keeps misfiring. Everything is clean on the weapon but it is extremely incosistent. I am using Jim Shockey powder p. Has anyone ever experienced issues with his products? Or do you think it is something else??
Thanks

Don't forget the primer next time...lol just kidding never been around a M.L so can't help just had to joke a bit good luck.

Its the powder... junk it and switch to Pyro, Blackhorn, or 777. I'm not 100% sold on Blackhorn yet. I've had some hang fires, and miss fires. Never had a problem with 777 in 7-8 years, hunting in some pretty wet conditions. Shockeys Gold is a solid gold turd... Its dirty, and very hydrophilic. The can will turn to a brick about 2 months after its opened. So make sure you shoot it up.

Maybe JB will pipe up, he really likes Shockeys Gold, but I sure didn't have good luck with it.

Check the flash hole in the breech plug and make sure that it isn't plugged. I would try a different powder. I like BH209, but other powders may work well. I would probably try the new black powder substitute, Alliant Black MZ.

Bad powder baby. (note: just cause it says Jim Shockey, does not mean it's the best, or that he would even use it :(

Last edited:
How long is the gun loaded between shots? You could be getting moisture absorbed by the powder.

Check your primers...pop a few. You might be able to hear duds. Pop a couple before you load up.

Thanks for the info guys. I also wanted to mention along with the shockey powder pellets I am using Thompson Shock Wave Sabots and triple seven 209 primers. I think I will use the 777 powder pellats. Do you guys reccomend 100 or 150 for white tail?

Thanks for the info guys. I also wanted to mention along with the shockey powder pellets I am using Thompson Shock Wave Sabots and triple seven 209 primers. I think I will use the 777 powder pellats. Do you guys reccomend 100 or 150 for white tail?

I agree with changing to a different powder. I have tried Hodgdon TRIPLE 7, Blackhorn 209 & Black rifle powder FFg (superfine). Blackhorn is alright with a few misfires. 209 works good with my 209 ignition. I have personally found that the FFg works the best in my muzzleloaders.

As for your powder load. DO A LOT OF SHOOTING AT DIFFERENT POWDER LOADS AND WITH DIFFERENT SABOTS. My load & sabot gives me the best combination at 115 grains. 115 is plenty to bring down a whitetail.

Next summer go out and have fun with different loads.

good luck to all
the dog

is the primer even going off or is it just the powder not igniting? My brother had to send back a brand new CVA because the primer was not even going off.

I have killed elk with 100 grains of powder no problem. You will want to shoot both 150 and 100 to see which one will give you tighter groups. 150 grains with a 290 grain bullet out of my muzzleloader puts me all over the paper but with 100 grains of powder I can shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. Each gun the powder will burn differently so if you really want to get serious about getting your muzzleloader to shoot accurate shoot loose powder and start with 90 grains and work your way up to 150 until you find the most accurate load.

As for the Jim Shockey powder I have heard nothing but bad things about it. I shoot triple 7 and have never had any problems even in snowy and rainy weather.

Shoot 150 grains not 100. It's cheaper and hurts a lot less. I've killed mule deer at 200yds and elk at 150 yds with 100 grains. Jim Shockeys powder sucks. Burn was inconsistant and also I had a lot of misfires. Horrible groups. As far as the powder get some 777. Its cleaner and actually ignites. I shoot 2x 50 grain pellets. Super tight groups. Also those bullets suck. They are a copy of a rifle ballistic tip. You'll get pass throughs every time but little blood trails. They WILL NOT open or expand. I just posted a thread about using pistol bullets. For whitetail I recommend shooting some Speer Deep Curl in .452 cal in 250 grains. Combine it with the HPH/24 Black Sabots from MMP. Use 100grains of 777 pellets.

Last edited:
Also, check the headspace on the CVA.
When the gun is loaded and closed, is the breech face tight up against the primer ? (Is there room for the primer to move back and forth a little bit) If the primer moves, it's loosing some of it's power out the back and that can cause miss fires and hang fires.
It can be adjusted.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back