Yeti GOBOX Collection

Potential Scope Defect?

Thanks for the tips. I do have the Talley vertical rings on it. I just removed the scope from the gun and noticed there is a circular indentation on the scope tube from one of the mounting holes. I thought they were no lap rings but there’s apparently an uneven spot. I did shoot the gun without cleaning it on one of the trips to the range. I got the same results, it was off to the right again. I’ve got another scope here I’m going to put on with different mounts. Will see how that does.
And if it still does the same thing, is it the different scope or different mounts?

Ok. I’ll try this. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I haven’t had this happen before and really want to get it figured out.
I just know I love my rifle & the Zeiss glass and it likes me, now. I also know I was a better shot when I was younger. Now I am a better shooter than I was.

This is a curious issue because it looks like it groups well just in the wrong spot. When a scope failure has happened in the past it either won't shoot the same place twice or the reticle movement is wrong (won't move or track wrong 1 click might be 1/2" and 2 clicks might be 3") but that was with old Burris Fullfield II scopes.

I still think I'd go back to the starting point and work your way back. It will cost you expensive ammo. That way you have some talking points with Talley, Zeiss, and the base manufacturer. I would also call as you'll likely be able to troubleshoot in real time. What bases are you using?

I have never used the Talley vertical rings that require additional bases only the lightweight base/ring combo. I have them on 4 rifles and the only issue I've had was when MidwayUSA sent me an open package with mixed ring height and Talley replaced with no questions asked. Midway on the other hand couldn't have cared less. I lap all rings regardless of brand. It's part of my process for consistency.

This is a curious issue because it looks like it groups well just in the wrong spot. When a scope failure has happened in the past it either won't shoot the same place twice or the reticle movement is wrong (won't move or track wrong 1 click might be 1/2" and 2 clicks might be 3") but that was with old Burris Fullfield II scopes.

I still think I'd go back to the starting point and work your way back. It will cost you expensive ammo. That way you have some talking points with Talley, Zeiss, and the base manufacturer. I would also call as you'll likely be able to troubleshoot in real time. What bases are you using?

I have never used the Talley vertical rings that require additional bases only the lightweight base/ring combo. I have them on 4 rifles and the only issue I've had was when MidwayUSA sent me an open package with mixed ring height and Talley replaced with no questions asked. Midway on the other hand couldn't have cared less. I lap all rings regardless of brand. It's part of my process for consistency.
I Have the talley base and ring combo (horizontal). After finding that impression on the scope, they definitely need to be lapped.

Once I have the rifle sighted in, just run a lightly oiled patch (absolutely no bronze brush at all or cleaning fluid) through the barrel. In fact, when I have hunting season coming up in a week or so, I don't even run a patch through it. I put the gun back in the safe and pull it out for hunting.

I had some weird shit happening with a custom 7mag I had built 20 years ago. My problem was more extreme than yours. It turned out that the barrel was just too light, and after say 5 boxes of ammo it started putting out some really weird groups that moved around. Took it back to the gunsmith who reluctantly changed the barrel to a heavier contour and bingo bingo bongo. It wasn't the scope or the mounting or the ammo. Change one thing at a time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back