Potential Scope Defect?

Jappenz617

I’m having an issue and I’d like to see if anyone else has had something similar happen. This is a first for me and I’m really scratching my head.

I have a Browning Hells Canyon 300 mag that is topped with a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44. It was mounted using the weaver leveling system and rings bases torqued to the recommended in/lb

My first range visit and it’s impressive to shoot and groups sub moa. I have no issue getting the gun zeroed in. After I shoot, I clean it, put it in case, and return it to the safe.

My second range visit (approx 4 weeks later), After clean bore shot, my group is 1.5” right of center. I adjust windage 6 clicks left and I’m back zeroed where I left off. This time, noticing it didn’t feel right, I did not clean it. I left everything as is and put the gun in my case.

Third range visit (again, about 4 weeks later) conditions similar, gun not dropped or banged around. I am once again grouping off 1.5” to the right. I adjust 6 more clicks of windage to the left. Again no problems with zeroing the gun.

One last effort, I clean the gun. Return to the range for a fourth time and of course it’s off again but this time I only had to adjust 4 clicks of windage to the left. All shots have been with the same ammunition.

So essentially I’ve had to adjust a total of 16 clicks windage to the left. Has anyone encountered this? I’ve shot guns with scopes ever since I started hunting. This is the most expensive set up I’ve ever had. My next step is sending to Zeiss.

Sorry for the long post but I feel like this issue needed explanation.

Thanks for any input!

Real consistent like that it does seem like a scope issue. I had something similar when I over torqued the rings on one rifle and damaged it internally. Kept stepping over a little.

Real consistent like that it does seem like a scope issue. I had something similar when I over torqued the rings on one rifle and damaged it internally. Kept stepping over a little.
Thanks. I tried doing everything I could to make sure I wouldn’t run into an over torque issue. Heck I can’t believe i didn’t damage more scopes years ago when I didn’t use proper tools.

I had the same issue with a scope a few years ago. Send it in or pitch it. Good luck!

Thanks. I tried doing everything I could to make sure I wouldn’t run into an over torque issue. Heck I can’t believe i didn’t damage more scopes years ago when I didn’t use proper tools.
Amen man, same here. I never damaged a scope once, and now its happened twice using a torque driver. One was a used scope and I suspect it was already damaged, but the other one I took every precaution and still ran into a problem.

Not uncommon for expensive hunting scopes to lose zero.

Only other thing I'd say is that if you're using vertically split scope rings, ditch them for horizontal split rings.

I'm going to say stop cleaning the rifle. If it's consistently shooting left or right after cleaning it then is sounds like cleaning it is causing the issue AND/OR your trigger control needs some work.

take scope off and check base torque, then ring screw torque then take the rifle to the range with a box of ammo through it so you're hitting where you want and allow it time between shots. Take it home and don't clean it go back to the range and try again.

I agree with above. Mount another proven scope and see what happens.
What rings are you using? Did you degrease the mounting holes?Screws? Use blue loctite on install?
The X bolt mounting system isn’t the greatest setup. I would get a rail and bed it to the action and pickup some good rings like Hawkins Ultralights or seekins.

I'm going to say stop cleaning the rifle. If it's consistently shooting left or right after cleaning it then is sounds like cleaning it is causing the issue AND/OR your trigger control needs some work.

take scope off and check base torque, then ring screw torque then take the rifle to the range with a box of ammo through it so you're hitting where you want and allow it time between shots. Take it home and don't clean it go back to the range and try again.
Easy stuff first. mtmuley

I would say the above is spot on.
Have almost identical Zeiss scope and the only time it is off now is after cleaning. The 1st couple are flyers then the magic group.
I switched to Talley bases & Timney trigger, before the scope went on.

Thanks for the tips. I do have the Talley vertical rings on it. I just removed the scope from the gun and noticed there is a circular indentation on the scope tube from one of the mounting holes. I thought they were no lap rings but there’s apparently an uneven spot. I did shoot the gun without cleaning it on one of the trips to the range. I got the same results, it was off to the right again. I’ve got another scope here I’m going to put on with different mounts. Will see how that does.

I bought a couple sets of Talley's a few years back after reading their rave reviews everywhere. One set was unusable and the other needed lapping to the point I was not sure they were going to be usable.

That was the end of Talley for me.

I bought a couple sets of Talley's a few years back after reading their rave reviews everywhere. One set was unusable and the other needed lapping to the point I was not sure they were going to be usable.

That was the end of Talley for me.
Never had a problem with Talley. Use the singles on mine, both lapped.
I called once about switching to a lower base and the guy just said new ones on the way. Guy said keep the mid...
3 days later new low bases. Extended model too.

Never had a problem with Talley. Use the singles on mine, both lapped.
I called once about switching to a lower base and the guy just said new ones on the way. Guy said keep the mid...
3 days later new low bases. Extended model too.
I like Talley as well. I should’ve had them lapped. And it’s probably not the issue. I’ll get this mess sorted out eventually.

And just to add a visual to what I’m talking about. When I go to the range, with gun cleaned or not, this is where the gun groups. Upon making my adjustment, it hits center of target as seen in the lower left target. Everytime I’ve left the range, I had it zeroed in the bullseye.

Attachments

• B6E7D7E7-94CD-4264-A45E-1982E94003A7.jpeg
    B6E7D7E7-94CD-4264-A45E-1982E94003A7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
looks like my old targets. Before I rebuilt it, & went to 200 zero. Still to the right...
Try starting from scratch.
Talk to Zeiss about the scope. I doubt it is damaged,but...
I replaced my Leupold bases with Talley, and got a scope mount kit from Weaver.
Torque all screws. Yourself.

I had replaced my original stock & went with Timney trigger 25 years ago. Cracked stock and it's a 700...

The switch in scopes came 5 or so years ago. The migrating zero stopped, unless I've cleaned it. Then it's just a flyer or 2 then zero. A group 1 3/4 high inline above the 100 bull,1/2" groups on 100 and up too 3" on the bullseye @200. Dead calm,morning shooting.

I can still get a right group at times,but that is wind or my natural pull as a right hander. The Timney stopped any flinch I thought I had.

looks like my old targets. Before I rebuilt it, & went to 200 zero. Still to the right...
Try starting from scratch.
Talk to Zeiss about the scope. I doubt it is damaged,but...
I replaced my Leupold bases with Talley, and got a scope mount kit from Weaver.
Torque all screws. Yourself.

I had replaced my original stock & went with Timney trigger 25 years ago. Cracked stock and it's a 700...

The switch in scopes came 5 or so years ago. The migrating zero stopped, unless I've cleaned it. Then it's just a flyer or 2 then zero. A group 1 3/4 high inline above the 100 bull,1/2" groups on 100 and up too 3" on the bullseye @200. Dead calm,morning shooting.

I can still get a right group at times,but that is wind or my natural pull as a right hander. The Timney stopped any flinch I thought I had.
Ok. I’ll try this. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I haven’t had this happen before and really want to get it figured out.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back