Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho ML hunt with CVA Wolf - Tips for safe and successful hunt please!

broncridingirl

far enough Nor Cal to avoid traffic and people
I'm headed to ID for muley/whitetail hunt with a CVA Wolf. Trying to dial it in a little still and looking for recommendations. This will be my first ML hunt. Shooting lead 50 cal powerbelts with 100 grains Pyrodex and percussion caps. A few questions I've got are:

1. Shoot with a clean barrel, or fire a cap after cleaning? Currently I am running a pre-soaked cleaning patch and a dry patch after 2 shots. On 3rd without cleaning it gets a little tough to load but sill doable in a pinch. What is this business about spit patches? I've read some people fire 1-3 caps with no load to dry out the breech plug and/or foul the barrel. Is it necessary or helpful?

2. I did have one misfire and I can sure say I didn't like it! It was first shot after cleaning the breech plug and I think there was a little moisture leftover. Fired on 2nd cap. How long do you wait to load another cap... 30 seconds? 60 seconds? What other safety measures should I take (beyond the cardinal rules of gun safety)?

3. I got a fanny pack to carry my stuff in and some waterproof pill bottles for extra bullets, etc. I like the suggestion of carrying some extra pre-measured loads in vacuum sealed bags. I will also plan on taping the barrel. Other suggestions for success if it rains or snows on me? How the heck do you load one of these things in the rain? And should I keep something over the holes in the breech plug when I'm hiking? Other suggestions for extras to take along? I will be day hunting and back to a warm house each night (where my 2 little kiddos will be begging me to go with them the next day!)

Thanks for all the insight!

I think most of the answers will be specific to your own gun and load. I haven't used Pyrodex so my observations about fouling and cleaning may not be relevant.

My gun always throws the first bullet from a cleaned barrel several inches off-center. Then I get 3-5 shots in a good centered group before fouling becomes a problem. So, I always shoot a normal hunting load the day before I start hunting, then load for the hunt without cleaning.

I haven't used spit patches. I do sometimes fire a cap after cleaning to verify there is no blockage.

I have never experienced a hangfire or misfire, so can't offer advice on that question.

On stormy days I usually wrap the breech and cap area with water-resistant fabric. Usually my hunts have been in cold weather, so rain hasn't been much of an issue. If weather is bad, I'd say to load it in camp before heading out, and make the first shot count. Reloading in a heavy rain could be difficult.

If possible, once your gun gets cold, leave it cold. If you bring a cold loaded gun into a warm house, you risk condensation ruining your powder. My uncle learned that the hard way. He twice missed chances on elk when his cap fired but the powder did not.

Last edited:
I think most of the answers will be specific to your own gun and load. I haven't used Pyrodex so my observations about fouling and cleaning may not be relevant.

My gun always throws the first bullet from a cleaned barrel several inches off-center. Then I get 3-5 shots in a good centered group before fouling becomes a problem. So, I always shoot a normal hunting load the day before I start hunting, then load for the hunt without cleaning.

I haven't used spit patches. I do sometimes fire a cap after cleaning to verify there is no blockage.

I have never experienced a hangfire or misfire, so can't offer advice on that question.

On stormy days I usually wrap the breech and cap area with water-resistant fabric. Usually my hunts have been in cold weather, so rain hasn't been much of an issue. If weather is bad, I'd say to load it in camp before heading out, and make the first shot count. Reloading in a heavy rain could be difficult.

If possible, once your gun gets cold, leave it cold. If you bring a cold loaded gun into a warm house, you risk condensation ruining your powder. My uncle learned that the hard way. He twice missed chances on elk when his cap fired but the powder did not.
Thank you

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back