New from Idaho

I miss the nostalgic Northern Idaho so much from the 90's. Grew up there on the Lolo in the glory days of elk hunting. Not so glorious now, but I'd still rather be there than in Washington where I'm at now.
How long before Finn realizes that your screen name means you want to have intorcourse with the 79yr old president?

Welcome to the site and thanks for the great introduction. Mirroring Randy's hunting ethics speaks volumes.

Up in the Arctic north of ANWR it is sheep, caribou, moose, Arctic Grizz and wolf
On the peninsula it’s brown bears
I'm new and from Idaho as well. Moved here a little over a year ago. I've got a question about wolves for you. I've heard from several people here that the wolves they brought in are a totally different type of animal from what was here originally. Since you have experience with wolves in Alaska, what's your opinion on that? Passions run high on the subject and it seems to be difficult to get an objective opinion.

I'm new and from Idaho as well. Moved here a little over a year ago. I've got a question about wolves for you. I've heard from several people here that the wolves they brought in are a totally different type of animal from what was here originally. Since you have experience with wolves in Alaska, what's your opinion on that? Passions run high on the subject and it seems to be difficult to get an objective opinion.

Start by watching these

There are a lot of people here with a ton of knowledge about the reintroduction. Start a thread with your questions. Rh300um, welcome. I recognize your handle from Hammer. mtmuley

There are a lot of people here with a ton of knowledge about the reintroduction. Start a thread with your questions. Rh300um, welcome. I recognize your handle from Hammer. mtmuley
I intend to, just as soon as I get my ten posts required of new members. 👍

Welcome from Iowa. I am in the early stages of planning and research of doing a spot and stalk black Bear hunt in Idaho,
I need to check this off my bucket list. I have hunted bears over bait several times but never tried spot and stalk. I would love to chat with anyone with good insight as to a good area or region to start my search. I have been on many archery elk hunts in Co and love just spending time in the mountains.

Welcome from Iowa. I am in the early stages of planning and research of doing a spot and stalk black Bear hunt in Idaho,
I need to check this off my bucket list. I have hunted bears over bait several times but never tried spot and stalk. I would love to chat with anyone with good insight as to a good area or region to start my search. I have been on many archery elk hunts in Co and love just spending time in the mountains.
I’d would look into the Greys River area. It’s a spring hunt. 99 percent public land. It can be rugged in areas. This year we are getting a lot of snow so it my be a factor this spring. I live 2 hours away from the area for a reference. I’ve seen a lot of big black bears in there over the years.

I’d would look into the Greys River area. It’s a spring hunt. 99 percent public land. It can be rugged in areas. This year we are getting a lot of snow so it my be a factor this spring. I live 2 hours away from the area for a reference. I’ve seen a lot of big black bears in there over the years.
Good info, thank you very much, I will definitely look at the area. What unit is that in?

Do you mean the Grey's River that meets the Snake at Alpine?

That would be Wyoming right? The Idaho side there would be unit 66. I don't think the black bear harvest there is very high.
Typo maybe? Unit 16 has bears. Gedney Ck, SOB, Fog Mountain. You name it.

@Sharp stick - Anywhere along the Idaho/Wyoming line or Idaho Montana line you will find bears. You will find grizzlies in there too. You HAVE to know how to tell the species.
In spring bear season you have to be prepared to deal with trails blocked by snow and blown down trees. All the streams will be raging with snow melt and will be a b*tch to cross.

I am not trying to discourage you, just wanting you to be prepared and have a good trip. I have never shot a spring bear. I've seen many, just not one that I wanted badly enough to shoot, process and haul out.

Every Non-Resident coming to Idaho should start on the IDFG hunt planning pages on the IDFG website. All the current reg pamphlets are there in PDF form, as well.
You will see that there are units where you can take two bears, if you have the desire and budget for the tags.

You want to glass any open space you can see, usually south facing. In the Clearwater drainage in May and June there is rain, lots of it. Your camping gear and rain gear has to be up to it. Being wet is miserable and dangerous. I had a friend who shot a bear in Unit 16, south of the Selway. He got soaked bring the bear out across the swollen streams and got hypothermic. If his dad hadn't found him, he would not have made it.

Both baiting and hounds are legal in Idaho, usually not both in the same unit. This avoids some use conflicts. Baiters get pretty ticked when hounds blow their setup. Hounds don't read maps, so it happens. Get a copy of the IDFG regs and understand the rules for the unit you want to be in.

The Clearwater is the true gem of Idaho. You cannot really have a bad trip if you come with the right attitude.

The fishing can be good in June, I would never come to Idaho without fishing gear. I've reached the point personally where I can turn off my phone and fly cast all day and be happy, fish or no fish. I have had many pan fried trout dinners out of Selway river tributary streams. If you can get a worm to hold in a deep pocket, you can catch them. Even if they are running high. Virtually every drainage has its own rules and catch limits, so again, know the regs. Some are closed before July 4th.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your plans.

Typo maybe? Unit 16 has bears. Gedney Ck, SOB, Fog Mountain. You name it.

@Sharp stick - Anywhere along the Idaho/Wyoming line or Idaho Montana line you will find bears. You will find grizzlies in there too. You HAVE to know how to tell the species.
In spring bear season you have to be prepared to deal with trails blocked by snow and blown down trees. All the streams will be raging with snow melt and will be a b*tch to cross.

I am not trying to discourage you, just wanting you to be prepared and have a good trip. I have never shot a spring bear. I've seen many, just not one that I wanted badly enough to shoot, process and haul out.

Every Non-Resident coming to Idaho should start on the IDFG hunt planning pages on the IDFG website. All the current reg pamphlets are there in PDF form, as well.
You will see that there are units where you can take two bears, if you have the desire and budget for the tags.

You want to glass any open space you can see, usually south facing. In the Clearwater drainage in May and June there is rain, lots of it. Your camping gear and rain gear has to be up to it. Being wet is miserable and dangerous. I had a friend who shot a bear in Unit 16, south of the Selway. He got soaked bring the bear out across the swollen streams and got hypothermic. If his dad hadn't found him, he would not have made it.

Both baiting and hounds are legal in Idaho, usually not both in the same unit. This avoids some use conflicts. Baiters get pretty ticked when hounds blow their setup. Hounds don't read maps, so it happens. Get a copy of the IDFG regs and understand the rules for the unit you want to be in.

The Clearwater is the true gem of Idaho. You cannot really have a bad trip if you come with the right attitude.

The fishing can be good in June, I would never come to Idaho without fishing gear. I've reached the point personally where I can turn off my phone and fly cast all day and be happy, fish or no fish. I have had many pan fried trout dinners out of Selway river tributary streams. If you can get a worm to hold in a deep pocket, you can catch them. Even if they are running high. Virtually every drainage has its own rules and catch limits, so again, know the regs. Some are closed before July 4th.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your plans.
In 16 according to IDFG site there aren’t a lot of spot and stalk bears taken, trying to avoid areas known for grizzlies. I know they can pop up just about anywhere but the Eastern border and way north looks to have the most. 16 was suggested by another person on here but the river he mentioned seems to be mostly in Montana. Something else I noticed from the IDFG site is a lot of spring spot and stalk bears are taken from the units next to Boise, is it that there are just more black bears there or just more hunters close to Boise?

In 16 according to IDFG site there aren’t a lot of spot and stalk bears taken, trying to avoid areas known for grizzlies. I know they can pop up just about anywhere but the Eastern border and way north looks to have the most. 16 was suggested by another person on here but the river he mentioned seems to be mostly in Montana. Something else I noticed from the IDFG site is a lot of spring spot and stalk bears are taken from the units next to Boise, is it that there are just more black bears there or just more hunters close to Boise?
Lots of spring bear folks in this neck of the woods, and close proximity to the unit with, arguably, the best spot and stalk opportunities AND the biggest bears.

Back