new fitness goals

duckhunt

The past few months I've really been slacking. I never really set any certain goals, I've always just tried to improve myself. Getting fat and lazy over the holidays a thought popped in my head, I am setting goals to reach. I am 40 years old, 5ft 11inches, and 210 lbs. Also run a 12 minute mile but after 1 mile I have had enough.

My goals are to hit the fitness center at least 3 days a week and on off days do body weight exercise at home. In 6 months I want to be down to 185 lbs and be able to run a 9 minute mile for atleast 2 miles.

Any other hunt talkers setting fitness goals for the year?

Going to be hunting the unlimiteds next fall. Don't know what type of fitness that will take from the gym but I figure I should have a better idea after my trip haha

I'm not the type to make New Years resolutions. But after my tonsillectomy last week at 36 years old my diet has been a heavy dose of Cream of Wheat and not much else. The good thing is that I've lost between 15-20 lbs in the last week and a half. I'm hoping to use this as a jumpstart to maki g some more changes to my diet and health. I'm 6' 3" and was pushing 280# before my surgery. I'm under 260# now and feel really good (except for my sore throat). I'm hoping I can drop at least another 20# and maybe more. This could be the start of something big for me. I haven't had a soft drink since Dec. 22. Hoping I can stay off of that wagon along with staying away from sweets.

Amen to all of that. Not out of shape, but after hauling an elk out by myself I know i want to be in better shape to handle it next time. Maybe even enjoy it - or at least suffer less

I need to get in better shape and lose a bunch of weight. I want to lose around 50 lbs and get my strength back up to where it used to be.

Not alot of weight that I need to loose (48 yrs old 5'7" 170 lbs), but I will mainly tote my pack loaded with 75 lbs of pea gravel for the next couple months, then go to 100 lbs until the end of August as much as possible. I've always done alot of regular 3 sets of 60 pushups, sit ups, and as many pull ups as possible daily.

I have to lose my gut!
55 years old, 5' 9'' 190lb, that is a BMI 28, not good, so 168lb is my goal, i was 170lb when i got fit for my Montana Elk hunt in 2014, so 168lb and get a lot fitter ready for 2016 hunt.
Cheers
Richard

Round is a shape, isn't it? Seriously, I need to work on cardio and increasing my stamina instead of crapping out too quickly after getting a good start.

I have a stretch goal this spring of running a marathon fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon next year. At my age that's under 3 hours and 25 minutes. 26.2 miles at a 7:50 average pace.

Right now I'm 6'2" and pushing 215 pounds. 47 years old. To get there I'm going to need to lose about 10 or 15 pounds and get some miles logged.

I'm going to try to add some pushups and situps into my workout routine this year as well.

Last edited:
At my age, my fitness goal is to simply keep being able to do 4-5 miles a day afield. I know that will all to soon be 3-4, then 2-3.....

I have a stretch goal this spring of running a marathon fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon next year. At my age that's under 3 hours and 25 minutes. 26.2 miles at a 7:50 average pace.

Right now I'm 6'2" and pushing 215 pounds. 47 years old. To get there I'm going to need to lose about 10 or 15 pounds and get some miles logged.

I'm going to try to add some pushups and situps into my workout routine this year as well.

That will be a heck of an accomplishment!

I'm hoping to do a marathon this year around 3:30-3:35. No where even close to the Boston qualifying time for my age (35). Staying healthy is key.
Good luck to all!

I need to gain some muscle and endurance. Hoping I draw my kodiak goat tag and want to be in shape for it. Planning on lifting 4 days a week and doing some running two days and a pack ruck on the last day. I am 6'4 and about 255. Need to get down to around 220 to be good. Ran my first marathon last year but slacked off since then. Might have to sign up for another one for motivation

Nice goal's gentlemen. Now lets see the gains!

Myself I'm planning on toning it down a little for 2016. I can't handle the body haters.

I would like to finish the maah daah hey 100 mountain bike race. 1st year I made it 25 miles before cramping and having to drop out. 2nd year made it 68 miles before heat exhaustion. I think the 3rd year may be the charm.

I've also been eyeing the vertical K held on Lone Peak at Big Sky Resort. It is a race up the final kilometer of elevation up to the summit. I figured that would be good prep for walking in the mountains.

I just hope to hold on. I hurt my knee after packing elk/ ignoring symptoms while running. I won't be able to run for a while. Gained about 12 lbs since I had to stop. So i have started spinning and trying to maintain.

Npaden I am pulling for you! I ran Boston in 2011.

Considering training for a half and maybe a full marathon. Only issue is I hate running. Need to find some way to make a contest out of it and get my competitiveness to get me into it.

Good luck Npaden, hope you make it if you try. I've toyed with the idea of trying out for that. We'll see how this goal goes first!

The first thing I looked at after my original post on this thread was what I was eating and drinking. Its no wonder why I feel like crap with what I've been putting in my body. So the past couple days I started eating the right food, no more processed crap. I also started drinking water instead of pop. I do drink milk with my supper though. After work tomorrow I will be in the fitness center getting a start on the new me.

60,6'2" usually 185lbs thru my life. Mostly as a builder,then Park Ranger.
Always been active,at work or anything else. Surfed almost every morning for 35 yrs at one time.
Eat good food and drink water. Always have. Rarely junk type food. That's road trip stuff.
Grew most of my own too for many years.
Gave up booze 30yrs ago.
Love my coffee. Tabac has been a vice at times. Roll my own. Like a good cigar still..
Never drink soda,never have.

Nice calm life retired for 6 yrs away from rat race found me and old caught up. Heart attack in Mar.
Would killed most folks they say. No damage,on some meds ,but the toll of the trauma cost me muscle mass I did have ,and I'm slim.
So getting my stamina and strength has been a challenge and I have to pace it now. Hard for me to do.
I'm @7500' and my BP was 109/70 65HR after morning meds.175lbs now,too lean. Doing good,but hate the meds.Makes me dehydrated and fatigued. So I drink tons of well water now,and it has to go someplace....lol.
But I'm 60,been thru a dozen lives and just real happy now in this place in my life. Heart deal and all.
But like Gunner said,if I can do 5 -8 mi a day stuff now. Cool.
I did 10 the other day in the snow for fun.
You know,I'm doing pretty damn good for all I've been thru.
My goal is to get up early and go like always. Maybe my sleep and life patterns require changes.Diet and personal expectations need tweeking.
Reality check.
I'm 60, retired and living a good healthy life in NM. More time for hunting and maybe fishing again.

You younger folks had better look at reality. It will catch up with you.
Loose the sodas,crap food daily,drink more water and exercise every day.
IMHO a gym doesn't count. That's making up for a sedintary lifestyle . Bench pressing a ton will not bring an elk back in tough terrain alone.Let alone keep up with an elk in a hunt.
I took a more than a few 35 yr old tri-athelete types that got in over their heads off the mountain as a Ranger/EMT/SR guy too. Not just folks with " a few extra lbs,& a soda monkey on their backs".

DO IT! Yourself, for yourself and your families. Or it will catch up sooner....

Last edited:
My goal for this year is to get in shape to compete in a Battlefrog 8K. In pretty decent shape now, I just needed a goal to shoot for since I'm not going elk hunting again until 2017.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back