Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

New chainsaw

WyOpitz

I just got a new to me Stihl chainsaw. Its an MS 210 with a 16" bar. I don't know much about chainsaws, I have a Stihl 4 stroke weedeater and that's about as much as I know about those little engines. I will be using this mainly for camping/hunting firewood.

My question is what do you guys have or take with you to keep it running on the mountain? besides gas/oil :)

Thanks

Big Fin gave a pretty good opinion of having a chainsaw/yard tools around the house on the newest podcast. Worth a listen

I've never had any problem running my saw in altitude. I always mix up extra gas in a plastic water bottle, I take bar lube, extra chain, spark plug, file and tools. I can get all of it in my saw case with the saw.

My old saw took a dump last year and I bought a Stihl 251MS, 18 inch bar. It worked perfectly for firewood last year. Your saw should be great and light for cutting wood as long as it's not too big.

.image.jpg

If you are using yours for firewood, I would buy an extra chain. Spacing out and screwing up and putting your chain in the dirt once can dull it badly. You can also buy a sharpening kit, and all you really need is a vice to put your saw in at home to sharpen it. I end up getting about 4 cords per chain cutting solely lodge pole as long as I stay out of the dirt. For some, it's easier to have a pro do it. In my case it is better and fairly cheap ($10) but I can do it if I have to.

Good choice . Stihl makes a great saw, I own 7 of them . A new saw should not give you any problems , if you bought the saw at a low altitude , get it adjusted for the altitude in the mountains . A wrench for for putting the chain back on after it flies off when cutting small brush , both a round file for sharpening the cutting teeth and a flat file to file the rakers about every third sharpening. I never saw without wearing a hardhat eye and ear protection and saw chaps , even if it's only a few cuts . U-tube can show you how to use the files . Have a handsaw along just in case you get the bar pinched . Good luck !
John

Make sure to only go to half throttle for the first three tanks of gas. Break in period is highly recommended. Manual has a lot of good info on safe usage. Chainsaws are great tools but they don't care what they cut. I've seen some dandy mess up that happen in a heart beat. Stihl makes a great saw.

Best thing we started doing for small engines is only buy ethanol free gas or spend the money on some of the pre blended expensive stuff. Our small engines on the farm run longer and better than when we were using ethanol blends.

In the winter buy the lighter weight bar oil and buy yourself a good set of chaps. Go have some fun. I have a ms280 stihl has cut probably 30 cords and lots of timber framing. I've be eyeing a ms 391 with 25" bar.

Best thing we started doing for small engines is only buy ethanol free gas or spend the money on some of the pre blended expensive stuff. Our small engines on the farm run longer and better than when we were using ethanol blends.

New saws have an issue with ethanol which gums up the carb pretty easily. I have two old stihl's and two new. The old ones run well with just about anything while the new ones are a bit more finicky. The dealer suggested using premium gas (91 octane or higher) and use within two weeks as the ethanol starts to break down. Since I started doing this I've had no trouble. If you can find ethanol free gas, that'd be the ticket

my 2 stihls specify premium fuel only in the manual. Ethanol free, for sure.

They've been great saws for me.

Going to the woods I would say take an extra chain, or chain sharpening tools. You won't need much fuel mix or bar oil, but take a little bit with you. The small cans of redi-mix would be perfect for the fuel. Don't worry about a winter mix. The saw warms up and the oil gets thin anyway. I don't know if that small saw is the m-tronic, as I have not kept up on them, but a regular carb adjusted at the dealer may be a little less cooperative at high altitudes, but you are probably OK.

As far as the Stihl, the saw will serve you well. Keep non-ethanol fuel and preferably synthetic oil mix in it. With synthetic, you will not foul plugs. I have four Stihls from a 180 up through a 441. All have been excellent saws and I have never fouled a plug. I use nothing but Amsoil synthetic. Premium, non-ethanol gas is the best, but regular works just fine, too. Premium is getting more difficult to find. If you do have to use ethanol, just make sure that you don't leave it in the saw, or in your container for long periods. The ethanol not only draws moisture, but it separates leaving alcohol and gas in two layers. It is fine as long as you use the fuel within a few months. When left in the saw, it is hard on lines, gaskets etc.

Enjoy your saw.

Here is a pic of my woods crew.

Last edited:
This may be the exception but my Stihl 280 needs to be adjusted for altitude. It runs at 5000 feet but when I get up to 6000 feet I need to adjust the H clockwise (to run leaner). Some gas stations sell Ethanol free premium gas , which I use all the time for chainsaw and 4 wheelers.

This may be the exception but my Stihl 280 needs to be adjusted for altitude. It runs at 5000 feet but when I get up to 6000 feet I need to adjust the H clockwise (to run leaner). Some gas stations sell Ethanol free premium gas , which I use all the time for chainsaw and 4 wheelers.

I have taken my 280 out to Colorado several times above 9,000 ft and had no issues. I put an 18" bar and chain on it just for hunting trips.

Took an 029 several times too w/o issues.

Definitely an extra chain and or file..... easy to hit a rock as you cut through a tree on the ground. Learned that one the hard way year one.

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to get on the mountain and start cutting! The wife doesn't understand but I can't wait to use it. Lol

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to get on the mountain and start cutting! The wife doesn't understand but I can't wait to use it. Lol

Chainsaws can be addicting-just like guns! Go to arboristsite.com for some good chainsaw info.

And no, I have not listened to the pod cast. By the way-what is a pod cast?

I have a new Stihl 170 that is a great little saw.Goes fine with my bigger Huskie and the Echo tree saw.

And leave it to a CPA to gripe about using powertools around the house for wifey....LOL Just funnin' Randy

I do know the ex regrets me not being around the house sometimes,like when the last big oak came down and she had to cough up $4k to cut it up....

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.... The cool kids club! Have an 038 Farmboss that my dad got in 1987. Cut down a dead juniper at the cabin that was hard as a rock last weekend. Ran like a top.

Can someone post a link or sum up what BigFin said on the pod cast?

Buy some chaps, and use them. Weekenders tend to put their knees into those short little bars.

Attachments

• 9 falling.jpg
    9 falling.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 523
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back