Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Barrel, action blueprint, What to expect ?

F250

I have a Remington 700 .300 Win. Mag. built around 1966. It was a gift to me about 10 years ago from a family friend who bought the rife new when I was in early grade school. I can still see those huge cartridges laying on the deer camp table next to my .22 rimfires ! I had the rifle ported and glass bedded when I received it. Accuracy has been going downhill steadily. I have a Leupold VXII 3-9X on it. Groups have increased to 5" at 100 yards. I sent the scope back to Leupold(it checked out fine), tried different ammo, etc. Anyway, brought it to a well known gunsmith where I have had work done in the past. The throat is shot out. So, I have a new stainless steel barrel coming, and the gunsmith will "blueprint" the action (also cerakote the action and barrel, add a muzzle brake and a new recoil pad to the original BDL stock). Anybody ever have this done ? What can I expect ?

You should expect it to be a tack driver and it will probably shoot whatever ammo you run through it. What barrel and contour did you go with? New trigger?

The definition of "blueprinting" and action is pretty ambiguous. That said, if the gunsmith is worth his salt, you'll probably get a better shooting rifle in the end. What make of barrel are you using?

There may be a procedure for properly "breaking in" the new barrel. If so, you should follow them to get best accuracy. Plus, don't discount proper cleaning of the barrel. I have read much about how copper buildup affects accuracy and its not good!

While you customizing, get a Timney trigger for it. I bought a Model 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum and put it in a Christensen Arms synthetic stock (bought from Remington Arms near where I live) and the trigger sucked. Nothing I did in terms of adjusting improved it, so I bought a Timney. I love it! Easy to install and no need to adjust it as it was fine where it was factory set.

Thank you for the responses. The original trigger is actually very good so that will remain the same. The gunsmith recommended a certain barrel, and the name escapes me. The rate of twist will be as the original and the barrel length will be 24".

I would agree that you should expect it to shoot lights out. I also agree with the barrel break in being important but after seeing buzz's thread on a new rifle I'm not as sure as I used to be. I would make sure the trigger assembly gets a good cleaning to make sure it functions correctly. Build up in there is what causes the unwanted discharges you here about. A timney would prevent that as does proper cleaning and maintenance.

I'm sure the stock trigger is ok but at this point why not throw a good one in. Skip the Timney and step up to a Jewell. You won't regret it

Back