New B&C world record ram

In case anyone is curious....
image_zpsarfg9pqz.jpg

A local rancher who knew of the ram and found the animal on his property obtained a possession permit from Alberta Fish & Wildlife

...cool he gets to keep it.

Not that I'm ever going to shoot a sheep to worry about it, but why don't they take the difference between the length of the horns as a deduct? Because it was broomed?

Elk regularly knock tips off their antlers and that ends up being a deduct.

Not that I'm ever going to shoot a sheep to worry about it, but why don't they take the difference between the length of the horns as a deduct? Because it was broomed?

Elk regularly knock tips off their antlers and that ends up being a deduct.

Because sheep naturally broom? It would be uncommon to have an 8+ year old bighorn with unbroomed horns.

The length of the longer horn also determines the quarter measurement locations for both horns.

This ram will not get entered into the books, will it? The story isn't clear, but seems to indicate that it is the new world record.

I don't see why not. Unlike P&Y, my understanding is that B&C entries can be found as well as shot by any legal weapon. I'm assuming that it was picked up is the reason you ask.

I don't see why not. Unlike P&Y, my understanding is that B&C entries can be found as well as shot by any legal weapon. I'm assuming that it was picked up is the reason you ask.

That is why. I have never taken a close look at the rules, I guess I had always assumed the entries needed to be hunted.

Learn something new everyday.

ram was killed in a spot to which no season for bighorn sheep exists, foothills Wildlife management zone(Sheep sanctuary) adjacent to our mountian zones. Nice to see a K-Country ram with its massive bases and big loopy curl take over first place.

Roadkill... devaluing auction permits, one world record at a time.

B&C recognizes the animal not just the hunter. The animal lived in the wild and against the odds grew to world record size and should be recognized for it, he is still the biggest ram ever recorded as he would be if he would have been shot, hit, died of old age or was beat to death with brick. It is nice to see them enter finds / road kill whatever, if they didn't what would happen to all of those true record animals. If we are going to call something world record it should be the biggest (free range) animal in the world. In the book I believe it will have (found) or (picked up) in quotes next to it.

I wonder how much those suckers weigh? The first time I handled a set of bighorn horns I was amazed at how heavy they were. And those were from about a 170 class ram. Seemed like they had to weigh 30 pounds or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back