Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

New 7mm-08 ??

brnsvllyjohn

I never thought I would be the guy asking about what rifle I should buy. With the new Ca. laws I am thinking about buying a new 7mm-08 so I will own a registered gun and then I can buy ammo without a $20 background check for every purchase. I have a 7mm-08 now that shoots almost any non toxic well. Most groups are less than 1 moa. It is a featherweight with a 20 inch barrel and I just want one that has a longer barrel and maybe a slightly nicer rifle and possibly a few ounces heavier. I do better when I am offhand or in a hurry with a rifle that is a few ounces heavier than the Micro Medallion is. If I buy a new one that I like my existing A bolt will get passed down to a grandson.
What I was thinking was looking at some options that are around $1500 - $2500 for the rifle. I already have plenty of Leupold scopes. Not sure what brands are the best in the $2000 range. Do I need another rifle? No. I just think I want one.
Right now the rifle that feels the best in my hands is the Hells Canyon and in Ca. I can get it for $1200 +-. I don't like the feel of the Tikkas much and if I don't like it more than my A bolt there is no point. I was hoping that by stepping up in price I might find something I like the feel of better.

I never thought I would be the guy asking about what rifle I should buy. With the new Ca. laws I am thinking about buying a new 7mm-08 so I will own a registered gun and then I can buy ammo without a $20 background check for every purchase. I have a 7mm-08 now that shoots almost any non toxic well. Most groups are less than 1 moa. It is a featherweight with a 20 inch barrel and I just want one that has a longer barrel and maybe a slightly nicer rifle and possibly a few ounces heavier. I do better when I am offhand or in a hurry with a rifle that is a few ounces heavier than the Micro Medallion is. If I buy a new one that I like my existing A bolt will get passed down to a grandson.
What I was thinking was looking at some options that are around $1500 - $2500 for the rifle. I already have plenty of Leupold scopes. Not sure what brands are the best in the $2000 range. Do I need another rifle? No. I just think I want one.
Right now the rifle that feels the best in my hands is the Hells Canyon and in Ca. I can get it for $1200 +-. I don't like the feel of the Tikkas much and if I don't like it more than my A bolt there is no point. I was hoping that by stepping up in price I might find something I like the feel of better.

A tikka T3X stainless in a bell and Carlson stock $1000 (the stock makes all the difference). A Howa 1500/Weatherby vanguard series 2 in H&S Precision stock $900. A Bergara Premier Highlander $1,600.

It sounds like you need a gun just for the registration. If that is so, then perhaps consider a Savage Axis on sale at Cabelas/BassPro for $300 right now. Pays for itself in 15 ammo purchases, and you have a crappy trigger/substandard scope that shoots pretty well, and will give you your next upgrade project.

Instead of the $19 per ammo purchase, you need to have a DROS (I believe within the last 5 years from the ammo purchase). Buy and DROS the cheapest AR upper, probably < $50. $1 per ammo purchase with < 5 year old DROS

Last edited:
I have a model 70 super grade in 7mm-08 it’s a beautiful rifle and shoots lights out with ETips.

Just get a COE (certificate of eligibility) and and FFL 03. Then you can have ammo mailed right to your doorstep. That’s what I have. Whenever I need to buy ammo I just logon on to grafs of brownells and order it. They have a copy of my license and they ship it straight to my house.

I gave a hair over 1000 for mine new. Found it in guns international. I think they have gone up since then. Such a sweet shooting rifle and good looking too!

I'm not familiar with the CA laws but have you ever thought about reloading can you skirt it by buying reloading supplies versus factory ammo. I love reloading even though I'm a rookie at it.

We are starting to reload again. I have loaded thousands of rounds in my lifetime. I probably still have some Herter's wasp waist 180 grain 30 caliber projectiles. Those are probably 40 years old. 100s of Sierra bullets. I know I have a few boxes of the original Barnes X bullets and the original Nosler ballistic tips in 3 calibers. Non of that really matters except to point out that we have lots of dies and equipment. It doesn't solve my problem for non toxic in some ammo like slugs I need to hunt an area where you are only allowed to use shotguns. If I didn't need more slugs I wouldn't buy ammo for years.

I also just do not like the idea that I cannot go buy ammo. That is just wrong. I haven't purchased a new gun since 1996. Seems like it could be time to buy a new gun.

We are starting to reload again. I have loaded thousands of rounds in my lifetime. I probably still have some Herter's wasp waist 180 grain 30 caliber projectiles. Those are probably 40 years old. 100s of Sierra bullets. I know I have a few boxes of the original Barnes X bullets and the original Nosler ballistic tips in 3 calibers. Non of that really matters except to point out that we have lots of dies and equipment. It doesn't solve my problem for non toxic in some ammo like slugs I need to hunt an area where you are only allowed to use shotguns. If I didn't need more slugs I wouldn't buy ammo for years.

I also just do not like the idea that I cannot go buy ammo. That is just wrong. I haven't purchased a new gun since 1996. Seems like it could be time to buy a new gun.
You can buy all the ammo you want any where you want. Online. At the store. Wherever. All you have to do is get your FFL 03 and your COE. That exempts you from all of the ammo law BS.

It also gives you dealer pricing at a lot of places. Like brownells. It also allows you to buy C&R long guns cash and carry in the state of CA. Gets rid of the 1 in 30 law. Allows to you but C&R handguns through a dealer with out a 10 day wait. And you can buy any C&R gun out of state and bring it home with you.

You can buy all the ammo you want any where you want. Online. At the store. Wherever. All you have to do is get your FFL 03 and your COE. That exempts you from all of the ammo law BS.

It also gives you dealer pricing at a lot of places. Like brownells. It also allows you to buy C&R long guns cash and carry in the state of CA. Gets rid of the 1 in 30 law. Allows to you but C&R handguns through a dealer with out a 10 day wait. And you can buy any C&R gun out of state and bring it home with you.

True, but there are costs involved in getting an FFL 03 ($30 for 3 years) and the COE in California is $71 for one year and $22 renewal. Add in cost of fingerprinting and it may or may not be worth it depending on how often you buy ammo ($1 per transaction if you've DROS'd anything in the past 5 years) or don't plan on purchasing a C&R.

Good information to know and let people decide if it is worth it or not

It sounds like you like your A bolt, so see if you can find the X-bolt Hell's Canyon Speed or Hell's Canyon Long Range and see how they fit you. If you want fancy take a look at the X-bolt White Gold Medallion.

I need someone to say that I should pass my A bolt on to a grandson and buy myself a nice new rifle. If I can't get you guys to agree how am I ever going to convince my wife I need a new gun? She would let my buy one for the grandkids without question but she doesn't think I need a new gun. After all there is no room in the safe.

They make bigger safes don't they?

On a side note I have been to 3 local gun shops and asked about having a gun from Gun Broker or a private party anywhere shipped to them if I found a used one I wanted. They all said absolutely not. Not for any price they simply refuse to do that. One guy said he used to do it for $150 but he wouldn't do that for $300 now. If they don't order the gun from a rep they will not have anything to do with it. Getting an FFL to handle a gun for you was not a big problem a few years ago. California just gets stranger every day.

I need someone to say that I should pass my A bolt on to a grandson and buy myself a nice new rifle. If I can't get you guys to agree how am I ever going to convince my wife I need a new gun? She would let my buy one for the grandkids without question but she doesn't think I need a new gun. After all there is no room in the safe.

They make bigger safes don't they?

Tell your wife that VikingsGuy said you need a new gun AND a bigger safe. There.

I can't believe you (and your wife!!) have been holding out on your grandchild.....get with the program!

The Herter's wasp wasted bullet! Boy been a long time since I've heard that bullet mentioned. Never tried them myself but had a good friend that loved them. I did use some Herters 7mm bullet's. They killed well but were not great for accuracy! I miss Herter's!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back