New 7mm-08 ??

When Remington first brought out the Mod 7 I got one. Worst shooting rifle I ever had and I am a Remington fan. About 2006 I got a Win Mod 70 featherweight. Really like that rifle. 6.5x55 with a 22" barrel. The more expensive rifle's, I don't know squat about, never could afford one. Of course it doesn't help hat I can be a terrible tight wad! But what the OP is asking about, I'd suggest he look at the Mod 70 Featherweight. I got mine when I came into a bunch of money of would never have paid that much for a rifle, about $775!

The Herter's wasp wasted bullet! Boy been a long time since I've heard that bullet mentioned. Never tried them myself but had a good friend that loved them. I did use some Herters 7mm bullet's. They killed well but were not great for accuracy! I miss Herter's!

I can tell you they worked great on deer. Probably killed a hog or 2 with them also. Back then we didn't have a chronograph so we loaded just shy of max with 4350 (30-06) and watched for signs of excess pressure. You upped the charge (within reason) until you noticed excess pressure signs or until your groups went bad. It is amazing what you might hang on to over years and years of loading. I was cleaning an area of the garage a few weeks ago and found boxes and boxes of Herters one piece shot cups for 20 gauge as well as 12 gauge. Yeh I miss Herters. Still have 2 recurves from them that haven't been shot in 25 years.

When Remington first brought out the Mod 7 I got one. Worst shooting rifle I ever had and I am a Remington fan. About 2006 I got a Win Mod 70 featherweight. Really like that rifle. 6.5x55 with a 22" barrel. The more expensive rifle's, I don't know squat about, never could afford one. Of course it doesn't help hat I can be a terrible tight wad! But what the OP is asking about, I'd suggest he look at the Mod 70 Featherweight. I got mine when I came into a bunch of money of would never have paid that much for a rifle, about $775!

My current "main gun" is a model 70 Featherweight Classic in stainless. It is a 7mm mag. I purchased that gun in 1996 and that is the last new rifle I purchased. I had purchased the A bolt 7mm-08 a couple of years before that. Way before the 7mm-08 became so popular. I can get slightly better groups with some loads with the 7mm-08 but I just like the feel of the model 70 better. If I was shooting for money from the bench at 200 I would probably use the 7mm-08. If I was shooting at game at 200 then the 7mag it is. Both shoot less than 1 moa with a load they like. The 7 mag is just a little more difficult to find that magic load for. The 7-08 shoots almost anything well. My pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 is very finicky with non toxics and is still a work in progress. The best load so far is about 1.5 moa. I can still get 1 moa with 3 different standard bullets. Even factory Fusions in the 06 shoot well but non toxics are tough so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back