Never Duck Hunted

jtm307

I've never duck hunted and was never really interested in it, but one of my young Brittanys loves water and retrieving, so I want to get him out in the field this fall. There are places around here where I've found ducks and can just jump shoot some ducks, but I would like to sit in a blind and call them in. I'm clueless as to how to do that and know no one who does that. If anyone has tips, videos, articles, or book recommendations, I'm all ears. Max is no chessy, so I won't be hunting ducks in the winter.

Calling takes a lot of practice and until you get good its probably better to not call at all. If youre in an area without a lot of pressure you can get by with 1-2 dozen decoys for your spread. The best thing to do is scout. Find where the birds are landing and then get in there the next morning before daybreak and get all the decoys out.

I'd encourage you to find a friend and go with them a few times. Or let a guide take you and let them know you've never done it and are wanting to learn. There's a learning curve with calling, as with the dog handling. ID is a big thing as you can only shoot certain numbers of some species, so you have to ID on the wing.

Welcome to the rabbit hope.

I'd encourage you to find a friend and go with them a few times. Or let a guide take you and let them know you've never done it and are wanting to learn.

That's one of my problems. I don't know anyone who hunts ducks around here. Even the folks I've talked to at the local NAVHDA chapter stick to upland birds and incidental ducks.

Addendum: I just thought of one person I know who hunts ducks. I'll give him a call.

Last edited:
I just kinda went for it with my dog in MT, mostly jump shooting. Had great luck hunting on rivers with a canoe (requires a buddy or a wife who is willing to get up at the crack of dawn). I've done decoys some, but I suck at calling and get really bored after a while, it's certainly fun to call birds in and I've had a few good days, but 90% of my ducks have been jump shooting.

The other great thing about jump shooting is you can go during the middle of the day. I've limited out twice on days I didn't start till noon.

My goal is simply to give my dog the opportunity to retrieve game on the water. So I guess jumpshooting is as good as anything.

My preferred method was to hunt rivers with a canoe, shooter in front and the dog either in front of or behind paddler (depends on the dogs behavior on that day sometimes gus would get so jacked he would bail out of the boat to early so we had too put him in the back corner). When a duck hit the water we would toss out the dog and he would get the duck and bring it back to the boat and we would lift him in... worked pretty slick after a few runs.

Lots of ways to do it, I'm sure if you have some access to private decoys is the way to go... kinda a pain in the ass on public land.

If you are around RS, I have a couple dozen mallard decoys you are welcome to use. I rarely hunt ducks anymore and when I do its mostly pass shooting along the Green. Let me know.

If you are around RS, I have a couple dozen mallard decoys you are welcome to use. I rarely hunt ducks anymore and when I do its mostly pass shooting along the Green. Let me know.
In Cheyenne. Thanks for the offer.

Duck hunting doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated. You could do really well with a dozen cheap floaters and a mojo spinner although that isn’t needed but they do work. I do a good bit of duck hunting and I don’t think that calling is as important as location. I shoot a lot of ducks and don’t do much calling, if you are decoying make sure you limit your movement and as long as you’re set where the birds are you’ll get some shooting. My preffered method is find pinch points where they are travelling flying into feeding areas and to just sit on a point and pass shoot or team up with a buddy and push birds to each other. As always be carefull when using the buddy method, make a plan with each other and stick to it so you are both shooting in a safe direction, often times you can keep the birds moving and get a lot of action that way. Also don’t worry about spending much on decoys, invest in a good pair of waders first as duck hunting is tough on them. I like the cabela’s waders, Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• 579C83FE-D016-47EA-9A26-19E78F3C392F.jpeg
    579C83FE-D016-47EA-9A26-19E78F3C392F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
I love to hunt big game and fly fish. I find waterfowl coming into decoys every bit as fun as those two activities, it really is amazing. What keeps me from doing more of it is the end result, a pile of dead ducks/geese. I dread cleaning and eating them and have a hard time hunting them because of that.

Wherever you are seeing ducks, watch them and how they come into that area in the morning. Get you a dozen cheap decoys and a maybe a spinner, keep the call at home. Set up right on that spot the next morning and you will have a good hunt and your dog will have a blast.

When it comes to calling, less is ALWAYS more. Don’t be that guy.

No teacher like experience. Im sure you can find someone to take you out a time or two. Everything above hold true. Take a dozen decoys and a couple calls. Id rig up a jerk string and save the money on the spinner unitl you decide if you like it. As long as its not below freezing the dog should be fine with a vest. Have fun!

I don't know how you feel about podcasts but the HP Waterfowl Podcast has some decent information about set up, decoys, blinds, brushing etc. They might be worth a listen. A dozen cheap decoys will go a long ways and you can get several different species to fly in to a single species decoy spread. Like somebody else mentioned, be sure to check your regulations for bag limits for different species. You also might have different regs for decoys and shooting times. Ducks Unlimited has a decent website that has really good descriptions of the various waterfowl and how to ID them.

Calling is very overrated. Learn to do a few basics and call very sparingly. Your decoy setup and blind is what will make or break you. Get some decoys with flocked heads. Learn to build a good hide. Find a pond with early season teal. It’s an absolute hoot.

Check out the DU website. Lots of good hunting techniques and tips.

Learning when to call and when not to call is very important.

I sent you a message, but there is some great advice here. With the dog, make sure they get out of the blind and let them run around now and then. New dogs are going to miss some birds/not understand that's ok, they get better as you do with more experience. I always brought a extra baggy of food for my dog during the slow time, they burn a lot of energy in the cold/water. Nothing better than working some birds with your dog.
49048648_105848437158794_9204248265472606208_n.jpg

Back