MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Never Duck Hunted

Check out "Bobby Guy films" on YouTube, he's got a couple tutorial videos and most his hunting content is a good time killer. Duck hunting is an absolute blast, but be warned it'll become an addiction quick. I look forward to duck season just as much as big game.

A lot of good advice here! I would second those that have said "Do your scouting". I've killed plenty of ducks and I can't call worth a damn. Find out where the ducks are, and set up there before dawn. Cover yourself very very well. Build a blind out of brush or whatever is around. Toss out some decoys and wait. I've always had most success hunting in the morning.

Besides what others have said, make sure you work your dog for duck hunting. Sitting still, holding when the ducks are working, etc. This is more necessary for calling birds in, but anymore that is what I love to do. My goal is to be able to finish geese at 20 yards in the kill hole, which is always incredibly fun. Beware, once you get into it, it becomes addicting as hell.

Last edited:
I’ll chime in, duck hunting is one of my favorite small game/fowl hunts. Doing the typical mallard hen quack isn’t awfully difficult to learn, you’ll just annoy the bejeezus out of your significant other practicing in the house. The feeding chuckle was a lot more difficult to master (still don’t think I’m a pro by any means).

If the birds are working in I’ll just shut up, might do a mallard drake buzz with just my voice as they’re working in.

You don’t need a whole lot of decoys, maybe a dozen and it’s not a bad idea to have a few of a different species mixed in - just whatever is typically in your region during the season.

Ducks for the most part like to land coming in to the wind, plan to set up with the wind either coming in head on or at an angle.

You can do the typical set up of a J shape or C shape with decoys, leaving some space where you would want them trying to land - but the most important part to me is trying to make it look as natural as possible. Have some decoys clustered, not evenly spaced all around.

A lot of good advice already given on being motionless and covered up well. I will add one thing that has caused more ducks to flare on approach (in my experience) than anything else, and that’s face shine. If there’s anyone on your party that tends to have somewhat oily skin, or if you just worry about it in general use a face mask or something similar.

Last edited:
Second vote for a facemask. It is a must if you hunt with me.

I've never duck hunted and was never really interested in it, but one of my young Brittanys loves water and retrieving, so I want to get him out in the field this fall. There are places around here where I've found ducks and can just jump shoot some ducks, but I would like to sit in a blind and call them in. I'm clueless as to how to do that and know no one who does that. If anyone has tips, videos, articles, or book recommendations, I'm all ears. Max is no chessy, so I won't be hunting ducks in the winter.

Get a drake mallard or a widgeon call, they are easier to learn while learning to use a hen mallard call. I wish I lived near you, I love to get new duck hunters into the birds. My favorite for sure. Great luck.....

A facemask makes it hard to see pre-sunrise. Use paint

I suck at calling. I will usually make some noise on a hen mallard call if there are high fliers or birds flying off in the distance. It's just to get their attention, really. Once they come in closer I shut up. You'd be amazed what you can pull in with a dozen magnums and a mojo. Make a hide for your pooch. Make a realistic looking blind using natural vegetation. It doesn't have to be fancy or even cost anything. Try not to move much or look up until you pop up and kill them. Cloudy days are best for decoys, as are early mornings. It's not uncommon to get 50-75% of your action before sunrise. Evenings can also be fair hunting. A huge weather front pushing migrating duck into your area can make for dynamite hunting conditions. Ducks are fast - make sure to lead plenty when they're flying full speed across your field of vision.

I've hunted over many Brittanys. Only one liked the water and would do water retrieves. She was OK for waterfowl. The hardest thing was for her to carry a large/heavy bird such as a drake mallard or a goose through the water. As you know a Brittany is a slight dog, so make sure you practice water retrieves with a heavy object so the dog is used to pulling the weight/mass.

I mostly jump shoot now. More than anything, I just like the walking around. A pair or waders or a kayak will allow you to access anything that isn't big water. You can shoot just as many birds, maybe more, jump shooting rather than working a decoy set. The purists frown on jump shooting because it's "cheating"...anyways, I'll let them sound like an actual duck while I go jump some more birds!

Duck hunting is a sickness for people who enjoy doing hard work while being tired.
Probably the most accurate description of duck hunters I've heard. A close second, "duck hunters are people too dumb to sauger fish".

Calling is overrated IF you're where the ducks want to be. You can get a primos feeding mallard call to get them to look at your dekes. It's a shaker call, no practice necessary. Concealment & movement can't be overstated, especially if there's a lot of hunting pressure. I use layout blinds if I can boat or truck close to the spot, brushing with vegetation from the place I'm hunting. As others have said, motion decoys will also help, just depends how much you wanna spend. Good luck!

Duck hunting is a sickness for people who enjoy doing hard work while being tired.

How right you are for those decoy warriors.

Nothing like waking up at 3:30, packing 50lbs on your back a mile through a marsh, wearing neoprene spandex, in 0 degree weather, to attempt to trick birds to get close enough to miss.

Which is why I am more prone to spot & stalk jump shooting now a days.

Middle of the day, Breathable waders, binoharness & binos, in warmer weather, and stalking them on the river.

The only time I set up decoys anymore is when I see a species on a lake that I want on my wall and I target that species. Other than that, I prefer jump shooting.

Duck hunting IS an illness affecting people who:

* like to eat horrible meat from critters who just left the local sewer lagoons
* are too lazy to hunt blue grouse (chukar:oops:)
* love camo
* like to sit on their butts while hunting
* have never hunted huns over a Grif
* don't like SxS shotguns
* enjoy hunting whitetails from a tree stand
* like to carry 78# of deeks through swamp
* like the smell of wet labs
* probably enjoy trolling for walleyes

Just a different take on things, carry on......................:p

Duck hunting IS an illness affecting people who:

* like to eat horrible meat from critters who just left the local sewer lagoons
* are too lazy to hunt blue grouse (chukar:oops:)
* love camo
* like to sit on their butts while hunting
* have never hunted huns over a Grif
* don't like SxS shotguns
* enjoy hunting whitetails from a tree stand
* like to carry 78# of deeks through swamp
* like the smell of wet labs
* probably enjoy trolling for walleyes

Just a different take on things, carry on......................:p

Blasphemy.......

D7E6C3E1-6F2D-4694-B241-93D49F1DFD17.jpeg

I like eating duck. Seared on both sides and bloody in the middle. Merganser however..that will put some hair on your chest

Check out "Bobby Guy films" on YouTube, he's got a couple tutorial videos and most his hunting content is a good time killer. Duck hunting is an absolute blast, but be warned it'll become an addiction quick. I look forward to duck season just as much as big game.

Bobby is fun to watch.

Seems like a good dude.

I wish I could quit my job and spend all year hunting and make a living off of it.

Hopefully, he can continue to do his thing.

Walleyes differ from duck in that, besides swimming vs flying, they at least taste good - they're just so damned boring to fish for....................

Walleyes differ from duck in that, besides swimming vs flying, they at least taste good - they're just so damned boring to fish for....................
I've heard this from quite a few guys in Montana and Wyoming. I wonder if the ducks diet are that much different here from there to make them taste different? I wouldn't think so.

The ducks I’ve shot in Montana were delicious. Tim just needs to up his culinary game 😁

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back