Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Never Duck Hunted

I bought some camo burlap and decoys last week. I might have some time to go this weekend after I take my kids fishing. Can one have some success if starting in the middle of the day?
Absolutely. Birds come back, especially after feeding in fields, for water, grit, and a safe place to loaf during the middle of the day, Or at least that's been my experience.

If wear glasses, try not to reflect light. I did not see any tips on the actual shooting of ducks. They fly fast but since are so much bigger than doves I see a lot of guys shoot and the shell wad is WAY behind the duck. I have seen a guy say he was taking the lead duck in a string and drop the fourth or later in the string.

I was a good shot with a Winchester Model 12 pump shooting around 40 to 60 yards with full choke usually. I later picked up a fiberglass-wrapped barrel Winchester Model 59 with the aluminum receiver and was like sending out guided missiles the balance and fit was so perfect for teenage me. Was super quick to get on target.

Very few shots each season were with the ducks sailing in with wings set. Most shots were as ducks flared off from decoys later in the season. I would swing with the duck approaching from behind the duck then continue to swing past the front of the duck after shot. I would do this for ducks passing L to R, R to L and incoming an angles towards me. Ducks high-tailing it away or slightly quartering away as revved their wings with afterburners...well those were more of a figure the arc of the shot pellets and boom. I shot 1000s of clay pigeons tossed from a trap house and would shoot mostly at 16 yards but sometimes all the way back at 27 yards. Those clays that appeared headed hard right or hard left were good training for me as was dove season that would happen before teal that preceded the big ducks. Dropping two ducks with two shots was common and a few triples each season. And, a few when touched off three shots and not a damn feather to show. Only had a trained dog for one season so other years could not hunt the river but instead focused on creeks, ponds and lakes.

Have a....blast!

Here is an example of how camouflaged I like to get our blinds brushed in. When my dad tucks in you wouldn't even know that there were any blinds there. The only thing that looks out of place is the goose flag. Also, there are 3 blinds in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3275 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3275 - Copy.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
that is a heck of a good job of blending in Jeremy. But in contrast, I put a chair or stool out on the edge of a pond in tall weeds. Sometimes I pull a piece of cheap camo cloth over me, most of the time I don't. Ducks don't seem to care a whole lot, which surprises me to some extent. But brushing in, can't hurt.

that is a heck of a good job of blending in Jeremy. But in contrast, I put a chair or stool out on the edge of a pond in tall weeds. Sometimes I pull a piece of cheap camo cloth over me, most of the time I don't. Ducks don't seem to care a whole lot, which surprises me to some extent. But brushing in, can't hurt.
It seems to me that it really depends on where you are hunting and the time of year. In Montana it seems like ducks don't care as much as they do when I've hunted them in California, and early season it is much easier to get away with less camo than late season.

It seems to me that it really depends on where you are hunting and the time of year. In Montana it seems like ducks don't care as much as they do when I've hunted them in California, and early season it is much easier to get away with less camo than late season.
agreed. Late season probably would be a good bit different, but I'm a minimalist and usually hunt with just me and my golden, so we get away with not much. I think that's better than big boxy blinds anyway.

I went on a sage grouse hunt and got my first duck. There were ducks in a reservoir near where I was hunting grouse. After the morning hunt, I went below the dam, hoping to shoot ducks just on the other side. A mallard flushes from below the dam. I missed.

I waited to see if the shot bumped birds on the other side then snuck over only to see empty water. When I turned around to walk back to the truck, I noticed the mallard circling back along the horizon. I sat among some shrubs to wait and see what happened, and sure enough, the duck came back to the same spot. I didn’t miss.

FA4CDC6C-BD0E-48FE-896A-CA206E76FAD7.jpeg

For the internet police... I left all lead ammunition in the truck.

For the dog purists... I didn’t have my dog with me, I confess. I did, however, let my dog find the duck after I shot it.

My preferred method was to hunt rivers with a canoe, shooter in front and the dog either in front of or behind paddler (depends on the dogs behavior on that day sometimes gus would get so jacked he would bail out of the boat to early so we had too put him in the back corner). When a duck hit the water we would toss out the dog and he would get the duck and bring it back to the boat and we would lift him in... worked pretty slick after a few runs.

Lots of ways to do it, I'm sure if you have some access to private decoys is the way to go... kinda a pain in the ass on public land.

View attachment 112220View attachment 112221View attachment 112222
How do you lift the dog in without capsizing?

Well Gus weighs 21lbs... not it's not a huge issue, you can easily lift him with the duck in his mouth with one hand. Gus just kinda natural swims right to you...

With a lab... ha, no way... you aren't getting that dog in the boat with out capsizing 1 out of 3 retrieves.

I've done it with a lab and 2 people in a canoe. The trick is having your buddy lean the other way while I pull in the dog. Takes some coordination and practice but it works. Would not attempt this solo... You end up in the drink

I've done it with a lab and 2 people in a canoe. The trick is having your buddy lean the other way while I pull in the dog. Takes some coordination and practice but it works. Would not attempt this solo... You end up in the drink
now that is a sensible answer.

If you absolutely have to do, do it up in the bow where you can bring the dog over the gunwales closer to the midline of the boat.

But it is not something to do routinely as in duck hunting. I have a place I want to hunt but don't have a way to get Gus into the canoe easily - unless I can find a muskrat lodge in just the right place.

Back