Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Never bone out shoulder again

brockel

Tried a new recipe today and it turned out amazing. Take a whole deer or antelope shoulder and season however you’d like. Throw it on smoker at 200 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. Put it in an aluminum foil pan. Add a few sliced peppers and onions. Dump a can of chilis in sauce on top of the shoulder. Dump in a bottle of coke and cover the pan in tin foil and put back on the smoker at 300 degrees for another 3 hours. Pull off and the meat will fall off the bone. Shred it and put it on taco shells. I will never bone out another shoulder on a deer or antelope again.
9108599F-D5B5-4A2A-88DC-52A494155076.jpeg
D949F43E-F523-4404-97CE-279F80FEF927.jpeg
32DE6230-FB95-455D-AE6A-AAD6B4108079.jpeg
A4A40B05-E6B9-4ED9-9E2A-0F9609D954DA.jpeg
4AD11A0E-32FD-48EF-8C4E-E910F6B3D6E8.jpeg

Looks good! I can only do that with local kills though. I’ll have to give that a try.

Many states (my home state included) won’t let you bring bones in from out of state nowadays because of CWD.

Excellent! I did this last fall with a mule deer fawn front shoulder. My son shot it with a bow. We had a camper and an oven so I seasoned and seared it in cast iron then used Cold Smoke as a braising liquid. Covered in foil and left in the oven for most of the afternoon. It turned into a hell of a camp meal. So I have also now started leaving the fronts intact.

I’ve been leaving whitetail shoulders intact for years, they make the best bone-in roasts imo. Shoulder, to me, seems to be one of the more flavorful cuts of meat. Plenty of collagen and connective tissue to add moisture and flavor. I also think the wing is the most flavorful cut from a chicken too, must be something about the upper limbs!

My mouth is watering looking at those pics! I smoked a whole antelope shoulder last year and it turned out great. Four more in the freezer ready to smoked.

This is also really good. Another cut that is really good is the shanks. Many hunters even throw them away or when they do cut the meat off them for hamburger, they loose a lot of meat. I like to put those in a slow cooker whole with about the same treatment done here with the shoulder. The gristle in shanks break down when cooked slow and over a long period at lower heat and gets really tender. I also like to cut little pockets in the meat and stuff that with scallions and whole garlic cloves.

Whitetail shanks in the oven as I write this. Will have to try this with shoulders, looks delicious.

Let us know how it comes out. One thing on shanks, you also don't want to let them dry out. That is why I use a crockpot or slow cooker to do them. If they dry out, the meat will shrink and toughen up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back