Elk Tenderloin

shrapnel

The two best things I get each fall are mountain grouse and elk tenderloins. When the elk is gutted, I cut out the tenderloins and place them in a plastic bag to keep them clean and from drying out.

I left these in the refrigerator for 10 days in a zip lock bag and then marinated them for 2 hours in teriyaki, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rice wine vinegar and a few liberal dashes of Tabasco sauce.

I then put 2 cut sticks of butter and Yellowstone Seasoning in the middle of the 2 loins and then tied them together with string. Then I seasoned them on the exterior with the same seasoning and course ground black pepper before leaving the loins out at room temperature for about 3 hours.

I have a smoker/cooker that I set to 400 degrees, then drop water soaked hardwood chips into a pan below the grill and cooked/smoked them until pink in the inside.

Sliced and served with salad and pan fried potato chunks and pop overs, I realized tonight why I want to get elk every fall. It’s just too bad there are only 2 per animal…

IMG_3114.jpegIMG_3125.jpegIMG_3126.jpeg

While those look delicious , I never got the whole -2 hours in teriyaki, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rice wine vinegar and a few liberal dashes of Tabasco sauce.
I like the taste of meat , not all that stuff . Salt and pepper , I'm good to go . Oh , and mushrooms and garlic .

I agree about doctoring something too much, but salt and pepper won’t provide you the result of that marinade. I would give you the phone number of who was over to share that meal and they would echo the same observation of just how good that was.

Guess what is happening to the left overs…

IMG_3128.jpeg

Instead of me winging the marinade portions (sounds delicious). Can you provide some amounts?

Instead of me winging the marinade portions (sounds delicious). Can you provide some amounts?

I am shooting prairie dogs and drove up on a high spot to answer. It is sadly, very unscientific. I just poured what I would estimate about 2-3 ounces of teriyaki, just a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce, a little more Soy sauce and a couple splashes of rice wine vinegar, finished with about 3 good shakes of Tabasco. 2 hours is plenty of time to get some penetration of the marinade and not too long to overwhelm the meat.

I do understand the sacrilege of doctoring good meat with too much seasoning and spice, but this will amaze even the most skeptical of how good this really is…

I am shooting prairie dogs and drove up on a high spot to answer. It is sadly, very unscientific. I just poured what I would estimate about 2-3 ounces of teriyaki, just a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce, a little more Soy sauce and a couple splashes of rice wine vinegar, finished with about 3 good shakes of Tabasco. 2 hours is plenty of time to get some penetration of the marinade and not too long to overwhelm the meat.

I do understand the sacrilege of doctoring good meat with too much seasoning and spice, but this will amaze even the most skeptical of how good this really is…
Looks delicious. I would've tried this tonight but I just seasoned some tenderloins and straps about 30 minutes ago.
I'll give it a shot soon and report back.

The two best things I get each fall are mountain grouse and elk tenderloins. When the elk is gutted, I cut out the tenderloins and place them in a plastic bag to keep them clean and from drying out.

I left these in the refrigerator for 10 days in a zip lock bag and then marinated them for 2 hours in teriyaki, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rice wine vinegar and a few liberal dashes of Tabasco sauce.

I then put 2 cut sticks of butter and Yellowstone Seasoning in the middle of the 2 loins and then tied them together with string. Then I seasoned them on the exterior with the same seasoning and course ground black pepper before leaving the loins out at room temperature for about 3 hours.

I have a smoker/cooker that I set to 400 degrees, then drop water soaked hardwood chips into a pan below the grill and cooked/smoked them until pink in the inside.

Sliced and served with salad and pan fried potato chunks and pop overs, I realized tonight why I want to get elk every fall. It’s just too bad there are only 2 per animal…

View attachment 304788View attachment 304789View attachment 304790
That looks great but could not have been better than fresh cow tenderloin fried on the mountain at a drop camp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back