MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nevada $

A-con

I have never applied in Nevada, but I'm thinking of adding it to my application list.
Can someone explain the basics, and how much it will cost me to start building points for deer only, or both elk & deer ?

The license is $142 and then $10 per species, except elk which is $15 + $3 predator fee on each application. Then another $3.50 convenience fee per app as well.

Honestly, if you're going to apply for elk and deer and gain points, you may as well put in for desert sheep, california bighorns, and pronghorn as well.

I've never drawn a tag in NV, but have been going for the best units and some years I apply for points only for everything but sheep. I always want my name in the hat for sheep.

You have a chance no matter when you get in the NV game but...you will have 1 ping pong ball in the hopper and I will have 65 (8 x 8 = 64 for prior years and 1 more for this year). Next year you have 1 x 1 = 1 plus 1 for that year so 2 while I jump further ahead of you to 9 x 9 = 81 plus 1 so 82. Then the following year is 5 vs 101. Then 10 vs 122. Then 17 vs 145. I am not max points but you get the idea that if more hunters get in line each year than draw that year then is a statistical spanking for anyone just getting in line. Anyone not in the top point pool will have less and less of a % of total ping pong balls in the hopper each year that occurs. So, the question is, do you feel lucky?

But the good thing about NV is if you only have your application and no points and draw the lowest random number, you are still going hunting. I have hunted NV many and it is my top priority for application. I'm done with elk and probably antelope, on the waiting period for both and will be too old to hunt elk for sure. My total was $193.50 for deer and both sheep and PIW. Just go to ndow.org and check out the tabs under the HUNT tab. It will explain everything quite clearly. NV has some of the best statistics to help you decide where to apply. Here is a link to the mule deer stats.

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...ources/Mule Deer Draw and Hunt Results(1).pdf

Easier to draw on the eastern side of the state (elko) but hot areas with the big boys tends to be on this side but there's like 1 tag for every million square miles so good luck getting one.

These are tough calls to make. Personally the squared point system has been in place for so long, it makes the chance of getting drawn for anything extremely remote. I drew twice since point squaring started, but I got in on the ground floor. Given the high total cost of applying, I would elect to pass and spend that money in places where you would not be so handicapped from ground floor entry.

Agreed Zim, I forgot abot the need to buy a licence, so it can keep my Az, Ut and Co licenses company.
I think I'll pass on Nevada.
It's so close for someone from Cali, but I have more points in more states than I will be able to hunt.
Moneys tight, think I'll just save it for gas when I do draw a tag.

Too bad we can't have a point swap meet, I'll trade ya 15 years worth of Colorado elk point for 8 in Nevada.

It'll cost you roughly $246 ($142 license) to apply for all of the species in Nevada that you can hunt as a non-resident. It runs $16.50 per for everything that is not elk. Elk is $21.50. (that price includes predator and online fees). If all you want to put in for is elk and deer, it'll be $180. These prices don't include the cost of the tag once you draw. Those are an additional $300 for antelope and bear, $240 for deer, or $1200 for bighorn or bull elk ($500 for cow elk). Nevada does a really good job posting how many points it took to draw for every species except bear. These are located in the bonus point section on their draw statistics page.

Back