Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Nevada Worth the Money

Treedagain,

There's no use...I've said the same things to Zim and he's just not going to believe you...no matter how many tags you've drawn. No matter how many people beat horrific odds and draw tags. If I worried about odds and return on investment and had the kind of entitlement attitude as Zim, I wouldn't even bother hunting. With Zim, its 100% about Zim benefiting himself...no other considerations. He's entitled and owed tags for applying. Half the time, he's so worried about it, he draws tags looking for a "way out of states ripping me off" and then has a sub par tag. Usually results in a post about how bad the hunt was that he waited X number of years to draw. Or how point creep screwed him again. It really doesn't sound like any part of his hunts are fun...which at that point (pun there), why hunt at all? I don't get it.

The plus side to a bonus point state, even one with a squared point system, it only takes ONE number to be the right number drawn. I question how much "better" of a chance a guy with 12 points has (144 random numbers) VS. someone with 5 (25 random numbers). The guy with 25 random numbers still has a pretty good chance at getting a lower/better number than the guy with 144 random numbers.

The only statistics that really matter are: You don't put in, your odds, are 100% for sure...ZERO. You apply, your chances are 100% better than not applying at all.

If you're in a situation that you want to hunt desert sheep, there is NO better option than putting in for Nevada as they issue more DS tags than any other state.

I've been applying for NV for a long time, still haven not drawn any tags there, but its self induced as I only apply for the best of the best (with the exception of sheep). Plus, I never mind supporting a State that manages with quality in mind over quantity. Its nice to know that if I were to draw, I would have a good hunt there...and management like that costs money. I'm happy to contribute.

I've have also noticed Zim is always "poor pitiful me" nobody wants me to have a tag. All the states with drawings are against me, they're just taking my $$.
I wonder...are all the states he applies in holding a gun to his head forcing him to apply against his will?
If he found a ten dollar bill on the sidewalk he would complain about it not being two fives.

JMO...

If you don’t apply you can sit on the sidelines and wonder if you should have applied.

I apply for NV every year. I think it’s about $200. I know the odds are low (Very low) but still apply every year. I end up applying for AZ, UT, NM, NV, CO, TX and WY. I try for elk and deer in every state; moose in CO and UT; sheep in UT, AZ, NV and TX. I also thrown in a few raffle tickets and occasionally ID Moose. With all those apps, I hope to draw a single tag every year.

When I retire from my current job, I will try and work in UT again to get my retirement from previous LE early. My UT points will be worth something when I return.

I believe my final retirement home will be in AZ or NV...making those points more valuable.

Now, my son just turned 12 and I am starting the point game for him. Starting from ground zero...We have been a little more selective. We apply him for AZ, UT, TX, NM, CO and WY. All of these are for deer and elk (except elk in TX).

I decided to skip NV for him. I guess the odds are too low to start now in NV. I believe he will draw tags in the other states in the next 10-12 years and some have very cheap apps/licenses for youth hunters.

Not sure if that helps.

Nowhere in any of my posts do I complain about not drawing enough tags for myself. You are grasping at straws. In fact I think I’ve drawn more than my share in 2 great mule deer hunts and the #1 archery elk demand hunt in the world (111-222). Look it up. I’m playin with house money. And any rookies entering the game now wouldn’t even scratch my 22 squared points for anything else. You know that. 484 chances to 1? Seriously, who ya crappin? If it’s about me, why would I recommend the OP to invest in AZ & NM which reduces my odds?

I am merely answering the OP’s question with sound financial judgement in mind. He asks if he’d be better off investing in Arizona or New Mexico rather than Nevada. My answer is a resounding hell yes, backed up by not only my stats, but your own. And it’s not even remotely close. This is the most brain dead easy answer on HT.

I know Randy agrees with me in Utah, and I have to believe Nevada as well although I can’t recall if he said so in his videos. Remember, we are talking ground floor entrants. As several have agreed with me, the squared point holders bury them. 1 in 10,000 odds vs. 1-6% in AZ/NM for comparable hunts. My question is, what is your motivation to mislead fellow sportsmen? Do you have some kind of skin in the game?

This has dragged on pretty long. To the OP, do your homework, and posting here shows you are starting to do so. Research odds and then figure out how much money you have to gamble each year on apps. Applications have gotten more expensive and in most cases odds are worst at the same time. Sit down, think about how much the gamble is worth and if you have the cash then go for it. But in the end, DO YOUR RESEARCH on the real odds. Some states try to make it very difficult to find the real odds. The services like gohunt that supply the odds in an easier to read format are worth the money in the end. I have walked away from a few species in states with a pile of points after doing the research I wish I had done years earlier. Now I have shifted that application money to other states that I feel are a better gamble. And things do and can change in a couple years so you have to stay updated. An Example is NM breaking the lope units into more and smaller units limiting NR tags even more in units with less than 10 tags. Also be careful when applying with a partner in some states because that can bite you. In some units that in some years only one tag available thus it can disqualify your app. My hunting drive and desires are on a downward slope so my opinions are different than others posting here. A crystal ball would be great, but no one really has one.

I draw multiple NV tags every year, don't know what your guys' problem is..:sneaky::sneaky:;)

I like this system a hell of a lot better than than the preference point scam most states run.

If you're on the fence about NV, consider just buying $50-100 in raffle tickets there or in another state. In some cases, spending $100 on raffle tickets will get you close to the same odds as actually being in a state drawing.

I draw multiple NV tags every year, don't know what your guys' problem is..:sneaky::sneaky:;)

I like this system a hell of a lot better than than the preference point scam most states run.
Multiple tags every year,yeah right,I have been hunting in Nevada for 40 years,and lived here 58.I know better.

Multiple tags every year,yeah right,I have been hunting in Nevada for 40 years,and lived here 58.I know better.

In the last 4yrs I've drawn 3 deer tags, 3 elk tags and an antelope. All but 1 deer and 1 elk tags were filled. If you're willing to hunt archery, muzzleloader, and rifle your chances of drawing expand exponentially. For residents, anyways.

In the last 4yrs I've drawn 3 deer tags, 3 elk tags and an antelope. All but 1 deer and 1 elk tags were filled. If you're willing to hunt archery, muzzleloader, and rifle your chances of drawing expand exponentially. For residents, anyways.

Must be cow tags? They still have mandatory wait times after drawing elk, right?

And resident vs. non-resident is pretty dramatic.

Must be cow tags? They still have mandatory wait times after drawing elk, right?

And resident vs. non-resident is pretty dramatic.

1 bull 2 cow. Yes there's a 7 year wait on bull tags excluding spike, depredation, silver state, and dream tags.

I don't understand why there are full on internet fights over draw odds. But then again...it is the internet.

Nevada n r is more in the ball park of $235 per year and that's applying for 6 species,,i got extremely lucky and drew a cali sheep tag in 2017,,but now have 10 points and am hoping maybe ill get a deer tag soon,,but don't count on it.new mexico is a good state to try,,overall cost is pretty good for n m,,you get most of it back if you don't draw

I am 8 years into the world of applying in multiple states. I started out applying in 7 states and Nevada probably would have been next on the list had I taken it to 8. Since then, I've dropped down to 6 states. With that said, there have been several changes over the last few years and had I started from scratch today, Nevada would have had a better chance. For me, it was a matter of time/flexibility, desired hunt frequency and money. I feel like Nevada has some significant longterm upside if it fits into your game plan.

1 bull 2 cow. Yes there's a 7 year wait on bull tags excluding spike, depredation, silver state, and dream tags.

I don't understand why there are full on internet fights over draw odds. But then again...it is the internet.
I have drawn at least 1 tag in 5 out of the last 6 years and I only hunt rifle season. 4 elk ( 1 bull, 3 cows) and 5 deer (4 buck, 1 2nd draw doe). And I’m not particularly lucky.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself.....

I have drawn at least 1 tag in 5 out of the last 6 years and I only hunt rifle season. 4 elk ( 1 bull, 3 cows) and 5 deer (4 buck, 1 2nd draw doe). And I’m not particularly lucky.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself.....

But you’re a resident correct?

But you’re a resident correct?
Correct. Obviously there is much more opportunity for a resident.

But there seemed to be some skepticism that a resident could consistently draw tags. If you stay away from the low odds units it certainly can be done.

Correct. Obviously there is much more opportunity for a resident.

But there seemed to be some skepticism that a resident could consistently draw tags. If you stay away from the low odds units it certainly can be done.

It’s definitely worth it for a resident! The license and tags are more affordable, and so are the scouting and hunting trips. You can apply for a lot of hunts that a non-resident might feel uneasy about using their points, vacation time etc. for. Draw odds are better. I can’t imagine an NV resident thinking that it wasn’t worth it.

For a non-resident it comes down to what you’re going to have to give up in order to apply. For many, it won’t prevent them from applying anywhere else nor be an amount of money that they mind being without. For many others they have to choose between NV and somewhere else. NV should be one of the last states to add to your application list if you’re a non-resident and can’t apply everywhere.

The demand is incredible and isn't going to get better. With the internet, research has made it to easy. The odds were better when it was paper applications and going to a bank for a cashier's check. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it has changed hunting forever. I been playing this bonus preference point game for over 25 years. I have worked hard my whole life to pay for these points and have watched the price's skyrocket. I apply in 9 states and have drawn some great tags and only 2 in Nevada one mule deer tag and a elk tag for this year I will be turning 67 on this hunt. If I was younger and starting out I would skip most states and do mostly raffles.

Back