Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need some advise for a first time elk hunt

What mulecreek said about elk hunting is absolutely the truth, time and dedication to one area pays big dividends.

Unless the area sucks in the first place. There is a fine line between dedication and not knowing when to pull the pin and find a new place that just might be better.

I love to hunt new areas. There have been very few places that I have found that were good enough to go back to time and time again. When you do find one, keep going back. But don't go to a place year after year just because one guy in your party killed an elk there 10 years ago.

JLS is dead on. I went west to hunt elk from the east for 10 years and never found a place that was worth a second year.....maybe spot a few cows or a dink bull. I finally gained enough experience and understanding to learn where to kill bulls. Now I have honeyholes in 3 or 4 western states and fill tags with decent bulls at will. But I'm 30 years invested at long distance hunting.......1000 miles plus. No scounting because of the distance makes it tough so you have to just learn it by hard knocks. Take your best guess and go for it.....if it feels worth a second year then go for it. If not, don't be afraid to pull up stakes and try a new area every year until it starts to work. 90% of elk are in 10% of elk country.......it all looks the same.....BUT ITS NOT! Good Luck!

Thanks for all the help guys! I hope I got it figured out now for a place to try. Hopefully will have some pictures to share this fall!

Look at a map of the USA. You most likely are closer to western MT than NW CO. MapQuest the routes and compare driving times. My advice is to look hard to MT as your "go to" elk hunt destination since as long as MT keeps the same pricing policy that results in leftover elk tags for sale AFTER you know if you are drawn in ALL the other states where you build points and apply.

CO issues Landowner elk tags In late June into early July so, depending on your feelings about such things, you might chase that option but will most likely cost more than the MT tag.

Good luck with the journey. If you want, share your plans and results. Getting an elk on the ground is a noble goal and some spend several years hunting public land before they connect. I always have an adventure on my hunts and eat tag soup from time to time without any regrets as long as I keep trying.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back