Need Info: Kenai Fishing lures

the nikster

My wife and I leave next Saturday for Soldotna on a 9 day fishing trip. We have 1 day halibut and 2 days guided Salmon/Steelhead fishing scheduled. During the other days I wish to fish while my girl rests. We are staying on 2 acres with a couple hundred feet of Kenai river frontage and the guide/outfitter says I can fish all I want! I wish to come home absolutely SICK of fishing and catching, what lures do you suppose I should take? I know I could wait till I get there but I think they may be about 1/2 price here- if I can find the right things-or do you think I should just wait?

For silvers my hands down favorite is a Blue Fox #4 with a silver blade and red, orange, or pink middle. Get a couple with green too and maybe one or two with a gold blade, wouldn't hurt to have a couple #5s either. I use a 7.5' med/heavy rod with 14lb test line. A lot of people use silver pixie spoons, also by Blue Fox, with a red or green middle. The Kenai will have a little more current than the streams I'm used to fishing so a heavier spoon may work a little better.
BTW you will save money by getting them at home and a lot of places will be sold out too. Good luck.

Thanks TB.
I will try to pick up anything I can find. Thanks alot!
I will take lots of photos and share them freely!
I have several photos I'd like to share, how do I?

I just got back from there last week, where are you staying? At Riverbend?
The river had a late run of reds going on, so you'll just need a hook w/some yarn on(to qualify as a lure) and weight to snag them in the mouth on the last bit of downstream swing. Silvers were hitting salmon roe fished the same way or the blue fox thing works, be advised there are enough pinks this year to be able to walk across the river on them in some spots. Have a good time.

Pink or orange Pixie spoons for silvers will work. Cast upstream and let them fall a bit before starting a slow retrieve. Fun stuff.

Excellent advice folks, thanks.
We leave in the morning and plan to be fishing Sunday afternoon.
I did pick up some blue fox's and pixees.
Expecting loads of good times.

Got back from my Alaskan trip last week and had a great time!!!
I limited on halibut-all monsters in the 20 lb range. And I limited on silvers 2 days and caught a silver in the Russian all by myself. I got good advice from this forum and fished out of riverbend. guided by Gary Kernan at Fish on! Gary and his guide Bill put you on fish fast and only a moron can't catch'em.
here's a couple pics, I do have some really good pics of fish, elk, etc too!!

Attachments

• ht 1.JPG
    ht 1.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 103
  • ht 2.JPG
    ht 2.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 97
  • ht 3.JPG
    ht 3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 98
  • ht 4.JPG
    ht 4.JPG