Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Need help with choice of weapon

quiet22

I had reduced my arsenal down to a mere single Marlin 45-70 GS JM in the last few months (good up to 200 yds). I have been studying having one 300-400 yd rifle for general hunting (deer/elk etc). I've debated about 270/308, 7mm-08, 3006 and manbuns. I've seen a stainless Weatherby 308 24" cheap, a 270 Howa black 22" cheap, a 270 Win sporter 'cheaper', a new Tikka T3x lite blued manbun cheap ($475) and a Browning 7mm-08 micro hunter (old stock like new) blued/walnut in the low 600's.

I'm concerned on weight and rust reduction....but mostly on being able to carry out to 400 max with a standard Leupold Vx1 type scope. I'm in my 60's....I'm not a daily hunter..but I do like to hike and carry via sling, so I would love your thoughts......and thank you!

If your worried about rust I'd go with the weatherby. Otherwise any of those would be a fine choice. I have a micro A-bolt that shoots great. You may want to take a closer look though barrel migh be shorter than your wanting. On second thought any of them but the man bun would be good. Otherwise you'll have to tuck your ears in your flat brimmed hat and use words like "bro". Nobody wants that.

Last edited:
There are plenty of used Savages out there in the $300 range.
Not as pretty as the Browning, but they are shooters.

While the 30-06, and 270 will certainly get the job done, the 308 and 7mm-08 will do the same with less recoil.

My opinion...
If you have the $600 to spend, i'd find a used Savage for $300 in 7mm-08, sell the VX1, and upgrade to a VX3.

There are plenty of used Savages out there in the $300 range.
Not as pretty as the Browning, but they are shooters.

While the 30-06, and 270 will certainly get the job done, the 308 and 7mm-08 will do the same with less recoil.

My opinion...
If you have the $600 to spend, i'd find a used Savage for $300 in 7mm-08, sell the VX1, and upgrade to a VX3.
That's pretty good advice right there.

I was wanting a 6.5 to compliment my 300 mag (H&H) for class 2 purposes, and was on the fence between a manbun and the Swede it replicates. But I've since come to the conclusion that for my needs a 7mm-08 would make a fantastic one-horse stable for all class 2 & 3 game. I keep reading that guides and PHs prefer a cartridge the shooter is comfortable with rather than something they bought for the trip. The rarity of an elk draw in these parts and the distance for me to get out west makes this a better solution for me. (The 6.5s are adequate for elk, I know, but not legally adequate in Kentucky - just in case, someday...)

I had reduced my arsenal down to a mere single Marlin 45-70 GS JM in the last few months (good up to 200 yds). I have been studying having one 300-400 yd rifle for general hunting (deer/elk etc). I've debated about 270/308, 7mm-08, 3006 and manbuns. I've seen a stainless Weatherby 308 24" cheap, a 270 Howa black 22" cheap, a 270 Win sporter 'cheaper', a new Tikka T3x lite blued manbun cheap ($475) and a Browning 7mm-08 micro hunter (old stock like new) blued/walnut in the low 600's.

I'm concerned on weight and rust reduction....but mostly on being able to carry out to 400 max with a standard Leupold Vx1 type scope. I'm in my 60's....I'm not a daily hunter..but I do like to hike and carry via sling, so I would love your thoughts......and thank you!

If you're concerned with weight you can eliminate amost all except the Tikka T3x Lite and the Browning. Truthfully, I'd be all over that browning if it were me. But to fit your needs, hard to beat a .308 or a .30-06.

I'm a fan of the .308 as a general purpose big game rifle. It's not like the .308 is a big stand-out in any one particular specialized area, it just does everything well. That stainless Weatherby with a 24" barrel would be everything you need.

However, I haven't had super luck with Vanguards. I assume that Weatherby you mentioned is a Vanguard?

What and where are you hunting? I agree that the cartridges listed will handle most anything. If you're regularly hunting moose and are in griz country I'd opt for something in .30-06 out of the cartridges you listed, but there probably isn't a wrong choice.

Thank you for your many excellent thoughts. There seems to be quite a number of views and recommendations. I'm torn between light/plastic/SS vs some beautiful piece of wood/weight/barrel length yada yada. I hunt Cali mainly...so weather can vary.....looking to have a 400 yd. reach with adequate energy up to elk.

Thank you for your many excellent thoughts. There seems to be quite a number of views and recommendations. I'm torn between light/plastic/SS vs some beautiful piece of wood/weight/barrel length yada yada. I hunt Cali mainly...so weather can vary.....looking to have a 400 yd. reach with adequate energy up to elk.
Anything you mentioned will do what you want. I personally consider the 6.5CM to be a little on the lighter side for elk, but some would say that about the .308 which tends to be my personal fave.

To be a little flatter shooting out to 400y I would choose the .270 - but all of those rifles will kill an elk.

30-06 has killed everything here and abroad for years. Bullet selection is good and ammo is available everywhere. 270 is another great caliber. I own a 6.5CM and am in the process of getting rid of it as I find that the rifle sits in the safe as I always hunt with my old trusty '06.

Rust has never been an issue for me because I take care of my rifles. None of my rifles have any special coatings or are stainless.

Best thing you can do is go to your local shop, handle a few rifles and see what feels best in your hands. Operate the bolt, etc and then make a decision of what rifle you like best.

If I plan on shooting beyond 200yds I like to shoot flat, so I’d lean .270Win, .280Rem, or .30-06 over the manbun or the .308Win. Also, while a 140gr 6.5mm bullet will do just fine on an elk, I would feel even better about 155gr+.

That said, it’s just a leaning on both counts. With factory ammo, the 30-06 has very little advantage over the .308Win, especially in the 150gr-168gr range, and if you go much over that you aren’t shooting all that flat with either one. I shot my deer this year at 300yds with a .308win producing a muzzle velocity of a whopping 2450fps, so it’s not like you HAVE to shoot flat. It’s just nice.

If I was picking the cartridge I’d be looking really hard at the .270 or .280. If I was picking the rifle, I’d be looking really hard at Tikka and Howa for a gun you aren’t going to modify, or a Rem 700 if you thought you might ever tinker with it. I’d probably pick the rifle I wanted and allow that to dictate the cartridge choice. The 6.5CM, 7-08, and .308 will all get the job done if you find yourself wanting a S/A. I’ve never been bothered by L/As and think that issue is overblown.

It’s really in excess of 300yds that flatter trajectories start to be a significant advantage, but you said out to 400yds. It’s possible to shoot well beyond that with a rainbow trajectory, but to say that there’s no advantage to shooting flat at 300yds+ would be incorrect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back