Caribou Gear Tarp

Need help with choice of weapon

Well..........the moment came......and thank you to all who have tried to help/direct me. I just purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard S2 stainless 270 win 24" barrel. Wish me luck! (paid $405 bidding on GB). Maybe it's time to sell my mint JM GS 45-70 from 2004.

Good choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have two S2 SS Vanguards, one in .308 Win and the other in .223. I've shot 3-9x scopes on several of my hunting rifles for over 40 years. A few years ago I put a Leupold 4.5-14x on my .300 Weatherby. Then I put one on my Rem 700 7 mm RM, then I put another on my .308 Vanguard. I have a 3-9x Leupold on my .223 Vanguard. I free floated both of these rifles, as I have done with all of my other rifles.

I spend a lot of time at our range shooting the 200, 300, and 430 yard gongs with my .308 and .223. There is not much difference in shooting the 100 and 200 yard gongs with 3x and 4.5x settings, but there is a noticeable difference between 9x and 14x at the 430 yard target.

What kind of communist state is California? You have to be tested to buy lead ammunition?

If you don't need to, I wouldn't be too quick in selling your .45-70. It might come in handy some day.

Last edited:
I’m 55 and hunt mostly UT and MT hill country. My hunting arsenal consists of a single rifle - Tikka T3X lite SS in 300WSM. It’s an easy carry rifle, super smooth action and does tight groups out to 300 yds. It’s overkill for deer hunting, but I’ve always been one to get super comfortable with a gun and use it for everything. I’d feel great with this gun hunting anything from coyotes to pigs to deer, elk, moose or bear. It’s all about confidence in the shot, and this gun does it for me. Not the cheapest ammo if you’re going factory, but reasonable if you handload. If you’re limited to factory ammo, I’d look at a different caliber that is less expensive. To me, you need to find a gun and caliber that you’re comfortable (physically and financially) putting at least 500 rounds per year down range. That’s the only way to build confidence.

8AD8EC4B-1F4F-454D-A2D7-0D525864DCDA.jpegThought I would post a photo of the new Weatherby 270 win Vanguard SS. It sits next to my 45-70 GS JM 2004 and a Weihrauch HW 30s ss and a Ruger GP100. I used a new (already owned) Leupold Marksman 3-9, some Weaver bases and rings. The only thing I have noticed thus far was a carbon dirty barrel (I imagine it's pre-fired/tested before shipping)....and a roughness to my naked eye to some of the interior barrel surface...hope it's not rust as it shipped new in package from Georgia. (who knows how long it was stored...it is a Paso Robles stamped barrel). I ran some Hoppe's 9...got some black carbon...didn't get any brown like rust......I guess I will have to wait till the gun range opens again after Covid emergency to run the 'favorite' factory ammo test and sight in the scope. Thought you might enjoy the view.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back