Help with gun decision for my son

If you reload your options expand significantly since you can start with light bullets and minimal charges. I did that with my Grandson at 11 he is 13 and I couldn't load his 30-06 heavy enough to bother him now. We started with 110 grain "sissy loads" for quite a while. These days he is shooting a Barnes 150 TTSX that goes over 3000 FPS and he rings the 600 yard gong without too much difficulty. Starting with the lightest loads is always a good idea so your son feels like recoil on the rifle is minimal he won't notice the change when you move up the bullet weight.

Size and recoil tolerance don't seem to have much relation to me. Gal hunter friend goes maybe 125 lbs and handled my lightweight 375 H&H like it was no big deal. We trained her for a TV hunting competition and she kicked butt with the rifles in the contest even though she was a novice shooter. It helped that she is an accomplished archery hunter and natural marksman.

I'd agree that the 7mm-08 is tough to beat as a deer caliber for the rest of his life and he can move up for elk if he feels the need. The 7-08 is fine for elk too but I would hesitate to extend the range past 300-350 yards. I love Brownings and a wood stocked X bolt would likely make him the happiest kid on the block. The Weatherby Vanguard with the Howa action is nicer to me than the Howa ( I have both) but they aren't really light rifles. For $1,000 I might shop around for a Sako in one of your calibers but you may want to let him handle a bunch of rifles you would consider and see what works best.

When a newby asks me about an elk rifle I recommend the Tikka in 300 WSM but I like to be able to take longer shots if conditions are right I recommend the 7-08 if they want a deer only rifle and if they want to be a one gun hunter a 30-06.

I’ve killed most of my elk with a 270. I use factory ammo. My 11 yo scrawny son shot his deer with it this fall, he has no complaints of the recoil. Shot his first deer with a 7x57. He’s already said he’ll be using the 270 on future hunts.

OMG this is one of the craziest threads I have ever seen....You live in MN...You MIGHT hunt out west a few times...and are WAY over thinking this IMO...I have no clue what hunting you do in MN, but a 30-06 is generally the mainstay here and will work just fine in ANY state. Get a 30-06 and call it a day.... :)

OMG this is one of the craziest threads I have ever seen....You live in MN...You MIGHT hunt out west a few times...and are WAY over thinking this IMO...I have no clue what hunting you do in MN, but a 30-06 is generally the mainstay here and will work just fine in ANY state. Get a 30-06 and call it a day.... :)

A 7mm08 will kill anything in MN with half the recoil and a third less powder. Also good out west for 'lope & elk. The Tikka T3X is a great choice for any of these cartridges.

Last edited:
If u watch randy newbergs older hunting shows he is using a remington 700 not howa and i think its in 270 to many people get caught up in what they see on tv or the internet or what they read in reloading books just like jim shockey he hunts with a nosler rifle but his personal gun that he bought is a custom remington 700 from there custom shop its a titanium rifle in 338 ultra mag so my advice is 270 win and dont be afraid of remington there a reason why all the custom action manufacturers there actions are remington clones cause they work even a howa is a copy cat remington

i guess the first thing that needs to be established is whether he prefers a long or short action, then go from there. personally i like LA calibers, and i have both a 270 and a 30-06, both are very capable, with both calibers i've taken deer, black bear, and hogs no problem. in the 30-06 i use a 168gr Barnes t-tsx, the 270 loves 130gr. t-tsx, never needed to go up or down on the 270, a good quality mono- and or bonded bullet in 130gr is all you'll ever need for the 270. as for the 30-06, i feel that a good bullet in 165-168 grain is all one needs, a good compromise between the 150 and 180 grainers. seriously speaking, who wants to have to resight a rifle every time you feel the need to change bullet weights. find a load that shoots the most accurate and stick with it.

I have taken several elk, several caribou, and lots of deer with a .270 Browning A-Bolt. I think the newer X-Bolt is a better rifle.

I'd recommend a Winchester in 7mm/08, If you should decide on a Remington better hurry, they may not be around long.

Deer in MN is not a consideration as we hunt in the shotgun only zone.

Great comments and it has made me think. Seems like the 7-08, 270, and 3006 all are recommended about the same with the 308 and 7 mag lagging behind. Slight advantage to the 270 and 3006 on ammo options but slight advantage to the 7-08 in that I already own one so we could possibly share ammo. I will have to look into the Sako A7. Hadn’t thought about that one. An XBolt is high on the list. While I may be over thinking it, isn’t that what March and April are for?��

I did a lot of research about buying my sons first rifle. I decided to put on layaway a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact in 7mm-08. It only weighs about 6 lbs and I have heard good things about the 7mm-08 on elk, deer, bear, etc. it will be rifle my daughter or wife can use, or even myself when hunting remote areas in the timber. Have fun hunting with your son. A 270, 25-06 would be great on big game also.

Deer in MN is not a consideration as we hunt in the shotgun only zone.

Great comments and it has made me think. Seems like the 7-08, 270, and 3006 all are recommended about the same with the 308 and 7 mag lagging behind. Slight advantage to the 270 and 3006 on ammo options but slight advantage to the 7-08 in that I already own one so we could possibly share ammo. I will have to look into the Sako A7. Hadn’t thought about that one. An XBolt is high on the list. While I may be over thinking it, isn’t that what March and April are for?��

If you already own a 7-08, I'd keep it in the same caliber. You mentioned not wanting to handload. If you have the same caliber you can share ammo when one of you runs low.

i guess the first thing that needs to be established is whether he prefers a long or short action, then go from there. personally i like LA calibers, and i have both a 270 and a 30-06, both are very capable, with both calibers i've taken deer, black bear, and hogs no problem. in the 30-06 i use a 168gr Barnes t-tsx, the 270 loves 130gr. t-tsx, never needed to go up or down on the 270, a good quality mono- and or bonded bullet in 130gr is all you'll ever need for the 270. as for the 30-06, i feel that a good bullet in 165-168 grain is all one needs, a good compromise between the 150 and 180 grainers. seriously speaking, who wants to have to resight a rifle every time you feel the need to change bullet weights. find a load that shoots the most accurate and stick with it.

Other than recoil, what does a 10yr old know about what he like's?

Everything you mentioned will work. But, A 7-08 with 140 gr accubonds or 150 gr partitions will kill anything up to moose out to 350 yards with the lightest recoil which will aid in developing good shooting habits. My daughter started with a 7-08 at 11, at 16 she is shooting out to 1 mile with a 7rm.. 7-08 are just fun too shoot..

Like your son I like wood stocks too! If you do get a wood stocked rifle I would have your gunsmith pillar and glass bed the action and smooth up the trigger to about 3 pounds - 3 1/2 pounds. It's a little extra but I think it's well worth it having these small extra steps taken so it gives the rifle a good platform to start from.

The Ruger Hawkeye is a good solid rifle with an excellent scope mounting system. Hard to beat a 280 Remington or 30-06 for a rifle for your son. 140 gr. Partitions or Accubonds in the 280 Remington will kill everything he would hunt as would 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds in the 30-06. https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeStandard/models.html

Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter is another excellent rifle. http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...del-70-Current-Products/model-70-sporter.html The 25-06 would be another chambering to consider. With a 120 gr. Nosler Partition it's a hunting machine. I've killed a couple elk with that cartridge or bullet. It's flat shooting and won't beat you up shooting it.

Montana Rifle Company I feel builds a nice rifle. I don't have one YET but hopefully soon. I've handled several and I like the classic Model 70 actions and triggers on these rifles. They have many different chamberings but again it would be hard to beat the 280 Remington, 30-06, or maybe the 280 AI. All three are great rounds with recoil that a kid to adult can handle. http://montanarifleco.com/index.php/asr/

Remington Model 700 CDL is the best looking rifle I think Remington makes. 25-06 or 30-06 would work really well in this rifle.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-cdl

IMO, there's not enough difference between the 270, 7-08, and 308 ballistically to matter. What one will do, the others will do. That said, since you are not a handloader I'd suggest the 308 or 270 due to ammo availibility and variety. The 7-08 isn't a bad choice for a non-handloader, but would probably take a bit more foresight in finding ammo. Since I see the 3 as a tossup, I'd let the rifle dictate which you go with. Find the rifle that he likes and fits him well then see which of the 3 chamberings you can find it in. For example, if you are thinking of a Tikka, all are made on the same reciever so there's no real advantages of the 7-08 or 308 being a short action.

After much thought and reading, I have narrowed it down to the 7-08 and the 270. I am leaning 7-08 mainly because of how fun to shoot it is due to less recoil. With a kid, that is never a bad thing. Recoil is not going to bother him as he gets older, but it sure could scare him now and I don't want that!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back