Need good trout recipes

7mm08mo

The family and I went camping and floating this past weekend near one of our states trout parks. I slipped away with my dad and went to the trout to park and caught a few. Never trout fished much let alone cooked them I need help. Any recipes appreciated. Thanks. Also trout fishing is a lot of fun even with the oppressive heat we have had.

Best recipe I've found for trout is to throw them back in the water or give them to someone else to eat

Best recipe I've found for trout is to throw them back in the water or give them to someone else to eat

I'll take those and your geese :cool:

Trout are simple...I wrap them in foil with some lemon pepper and butter in the cavity and do them on the grill or in some campfire coals. I also sometimes fillet them them and get the pin bones out and cook them in the oven over rice and veggies with old bay and butter.

Heavily seasoned and fried to a crisp in bacon grease was how Grandma always cooked them.

Lay out a piece of foil. Slice a lemon and an apple into rounds. Lay down a bed of apples and lemons on the foil. Take a whole gutted trout salt the inside cavity put in a couple of thin pats of butter add pepper line the cavity with slices of apple and lemon top that off with a bunch of sage. Lay the trout in the foil on top of the lemons and apples. Dust with salt and pepper add a couple more pats of butter and sage on top. Close up the coals and put it on the heat. You'll have to look up times for cooking based on the size of your fish. Good luck and enjoy.

We like them best when cooked over coals and seasoned with garlic salt and pepper. My wife absolutely loves them smoked.

Who would give back trout. You wrap in them foil and add a little lemon, season if you want, Cannot go wrong. Trout over a camp fire is the best meal ever!

If I was going to eat trout I would cook them on a shingle then remove the fish and eat the shingle! Just messing I do like a brookie over a campfire every once and a while. Tinfoil, butter and seasonings. I Also agree that blue grouse get the vote for best campfire meal

Depends on the size and your ability to fillet.

For a small trout - 6 - 10 inches - gut it, skewer on a willow or branch you have whittled on, then roast over the fire. No spices, no dishes, when the skin pulls off just eat with your fingers.

Larger trout I like to fillet - cut into 2x2 inch cubes, make a batter out of bisquick and beer, then fry.

For breakfast, coat in flour, and fry in the bacon grease and serve between english muffins and eggs.

Not all trout are created equal. A fresh stocked rainbow is dog food to me. Mushy, white meat makes me gag!

My preference is char first (brookie, laker) and then bigger/older rainbows/cutts.

20160613_101514.jpg

Any salmon recipe works for trout.

My favorite is a Dijon mustard, honey (or brown sugar), a little oil, salt/pepper, and cyane to taste. Mix ingredients, lather on a fillet and marinade for a few hours, grill skin side down, or skinless, fry in a hot pan one side, flip, lather on some more and finish in a hot oven.

Pretty decent smoked as well, not a lot of oil though. I've eaten lots of trout, but not many until recently, forgot how much I like them. I guy gets spoiled eating salmon.

Whole fish on the grill stuffed with rosemary, lemon and galric......rub with oilive oil and salt and pepper them and grill till done.......Man I love trout

I pan fry at home though the ingredients travel well so could cook the same way on a campout. I filet the trout so boneless. Got in the habit of doing that when had little ones around the house.

I substitute panko bread crumbs during the dredge step and this results in a nice crispy texture.

I substitute peanut oil as can handle a higher temperature than most oils. Hotter means crisper. I cook for about 2 minutes a side for filets.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/pan_fried_trout.html

Thanks guys it's on the grill now. There's also deer tenderloin and zucchini. The tenderloin is a backup in case the trout isn't good. If it is the tenderloin will be lunch tomorrow.

image.jpg
We added wild onion we collected earlier in the day up high, salt/pepper and oil. Butter and a slice of lemon is good too when in civilization.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back