Caribou Gear

Visiting Montana

BenP

So my cousin is getting married in Montana (somewhere near Lewistown I believe) come this mid-May and the plan is for my, at that time, 11 yr old and my self to fly out there and hopefully have 7-12 days to explore and enjoy that large state and maybe head down to Wyoming as well. If I happen upon some money then the whole family will go, but it's not cheap to fly a family of 5.

With that I would like to do some fly fishing, hiking and exploring. I know it's still winter weather during that time which will probably hinder some of my explorations but wanted to get some ideas of places I should go to see and or fish. Would like to see Glacier National Park but I'm sure the weather won't be great for that especially for a flat lander that hasn't seen snow over 10" deep. Also if there are places recommended to stay at or camp at would help out too.

Another question that could probably be somewhat easy to find on FWP website but my son should be good to fish under my license or would he need his own?

If there is anyone out there that would want to help out or meet up then I'm game for adventures. Any other advice is cool too.

Maybe if I'm lucky I will get a glimpse of the legendary @Beaver Hunter in his natural environment, I will strive for photo evidence so I can prove to all you nay-sayers of his legendariness. Albeit if I can find Hunt Talk Man, I will become a legend myself.

I drove to MT in Aug 2021 with my daughter and two friends. Camped at Western Glacier Camp Ground. I tried booking stuff on east side more than six months before and everything was booked solid. Western Glacier was fine. So entering GNP at I believe 0600 costs money. Have to have a pass (car and/or individual). We figured it out quickly and would drive in at 0530, head to a trail head for the day and sleep in the truck for a couple hours. Once everyone woke up, we'd make bfast on the back of the truck, have our clothes and packs already packed (the night before) and do our hike. Logan pass the the hikes up there, amazing. Avalanche was super fun and easy. We did not get over to Many Glacier and I've ready and been told it's awesome. If you can get hikes in over there, do it.

I do not know how it will be during the time of year you are going, but I think you're right. It will have snow. When we went, it was packed. Another reason to go in early, just to get a parking spot at trail heads. Lots of tourists.

Camel backs, trekking poles, and knowledge of trail heads that have bathrooms is a good idea. Good luck and have fun.

So my cousin is getting married in Montana (somewhere near Lewistown I believe) come this mid-May and the plan is for my, at that time, 11 yr old and my self to fly out there and hopefully have 7-12 days to explore and enjoy that large state and maybe head down to Wyoming as well. If I happen upon some money then the whole family will go, but it's not cheap to fly a family of 5.

With that I would like to do some fly fishing, hiking and exploring. I know it's still winter weather during that time which will probably hinder some of my explorations but wanted to get some ideas of places I should go to see and or fish. Would like to see Glacier National Park but I'm sure the weather won't be great for that especially for a flat lander that hasn't seen snow over 10" deep. Also if there are places recommended to stay at or camp at would help out too.

Another question that could probably be somewhat easy to find on FWP website but my son should be good to fish under my license or would he need his own?

If there is anyone out there that would want to help out or meet up then I'm game for adventures. Any other advice is cool too.

Maybe if I'm lucky I will get a glimpse of the legendary @Beaver Hunter in his natural environment, I will strive for photo evidence so I can prove to all you nay-sayers of his legendariness. Albeit if I can find Hunt Talk Man, I will become a legend myself.
I’m on the other end of the state, as is ol’ beaverhorn.. I look forward to the pics of your travels!

Hiking and fishing options are fairly limited in May and largely dependent on remaining snowpack and runoff conditions. Feel free to contact me next May and Id be happy to point to some doable hikes depending on remaining snow and let you know what is fishing.

Edit: For the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, I mean. I wouldnt know about Glacier area during that timeframe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back