MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Need a recipe for whole deer shanks

Dave N

All of this talk lately of deer shoulder and shanks has me wanting to try it myself for something different. I'm butchering my deer and kept the whole shanks to make for dinner tomorrow. Yeah, I know. Not much time for replies. I've seen hints and bits and pieces of how you guys make them but not really a complete "recipe". If I don't get any great sounding ideas I'll kind of wing it with the crockpot and see what we can get. Fair warning. I don't like wine in my food. I have no saw to cut the shanks into pieces. Just about anything else is open for thought. I also have a smoker but will be spending the majority of my time this weekend processing 2 whitetail and don't really want to feed the fire if I don't have to. No, I don't have a pellet grill! :(

I'll put more in the freezer for another time so any and all replies will be welcomed. Please and thank you!

I used this recipe for whole shanks a couple weeks ago. Used canned fire roasted tomatoes. I'm sure you can omit the wine andMaybe use a little lemon juice to deglaze.

The sauce/almost soup made a great gravy for mashed taters as well.

Slow cooker if you have one, other wise braised for around 4-6 hours.
Cover in water, add some onions and salt/pepper.
I then shred the meat with a fork, add some bar-b-que sauce and put the mix in a burger bun with cheese and onions, lovely!
Cheers
Richard

Theres a good easy recipe in one of the meateater episodes with Remi Warren. They prepare an elk shank in a slow cooker with a bunch of veggies. Pretty tasty and simple!

Have them cooking right now. Combined a couple ideas into one. If it turns out OK I'll post up what I did. If it's crap, we have leftover turkey breast from yesterday! ;)

I used this recipe for whole shanks a couple weeks ago. Used canned fire roasted tomatoes. I'm sure you can omit the wine andMaybe use a little lemon juice to deglaze.

The sauce/almost soup made a great gravy for mashed taters as well.
That looks like a great recipe.Thanks for sharing that. Looks like there might be some antelope osso-bucco this weekend!

Well, we didn't need the leftovers! Damn, I'm good! Looks like I'll be keeping my shanks for meals from now on and not grinding them for burger.

Seasoned them with Montreal Steak seasoning and browned them in some oil. Transferred the shanks to a slow cooker with a cut up onion, carrots, celery, minced garlic and black pepper. Added 2 cans of beef broth then added water until not quite covered in liquid. Turned cooker to high for 2 hours then down to low. After about 6 hours it was bubbling pretty good so I turned it down to warm. The shanks were fall apart tender at this point. Drained off some liquid and made a gravy for mashed potatoes and to top the meat with. Very good meal!

Things to do differently next time. Needed more seasoning. Maybe skip the water and use more beef broth. Add more garlic perhaps. May even try adding a sliced jalapeno for a little kick. For sure it's a good way to use the shanks. Faster than trimming for burger, and it's a whole different meal than normal. Plenty of recipes on the web as well as your ideas. In the end I just kind of did what I thought would taste good, and wasn't far off!

Well, we didn't need the leftovers! Damn, I'm good! Looks like I'll be keeping my shanks for meals from now on and not grinding them for burger.

Seasoned them with Montreal Steak seasoning and browned them in some oil. Transferred the shanks to a slow cooker with a cut up onion, carrots, celery, minced garlic and black pepper. Added 2 cans of beef broth then added water until not quite covered in liquid. Turned cooker to high for 2 hours then down to low. After about 6 hours it was bubbling pretty good so I turned it down to warm. The shanks were fall apart tender at this point. Drained off some liquid and made a gravy for mashed potatoes and to top the meat with. Very good meal!

Things to do differently next time. Needed more seasoning. Maybe skip the water and use more beef broth. Add more garlic perhaps. May even try adding a sliced jalapeno for a little kick. For sure it's a good way to use the shanks. Faster than trimming for burger, and it's a whole different meal than normal. Plenty of recipes on the web as well as your ideas. In the end I just kind of did what I thought would taste good, and wasn't far off!
Pretty much exactly what I do with mine but use my Instant Pot pressure cooker instead of the crockpot. Also found that you really can't over season them, I use a TON of garlic in mine now

Yep. That's pretty much the standard way I cook shanks. It's always delicious. I add a few teaspoons of salt to the water. I like to add the meat and gravy to noodles with a dollop of sour cream. Kids love it. Not sure if you did this, but I also cut open the bone so the marrow adds flavor to the stock. When the liquid turns to meat jello in the fridge, you know you did it right.

Yep, we used some leftovers for the noodle dish. Also mixed a little gravy with some shredded meat for a quick sandwich lunch. I now have more shank packages in the freezer! Quicker and easier than trying to make burger!

Yep, we used some leftovers for the noodle dish. Also mixed a little gravy with some shredded meat for a quick sandwich lunch. I now have more shank packages in the freezer! Quicker and easier than trying to make burger!

So 6 hours total or 2 on high, 6 on low?

Did you take any pics? Did you cook all 4 at once?

I saved my shanks to save time and people kept talking them up. Thanks for sharing!

About 2 hours on high then 4 on low before turning it to warm. Dinner was still almost 2 hours away! They went faster than I thought. Guess I pulled them after just shy of 8 hours total. Bones damn near came out clean. Next time I'll turn it to low after the first hour and check for tenderness before turning down to warm. This cooker was big enough for all 4 at once. The rear shanks I had to find a hacksaw to cut off about 1 1/2" of the end so they would fit. I don't have any pics but I think the wife does. I'll have to ask. Plenty of meat for 2 people! I packaged 1 front and 1 rear shank together for our next meals.

As with most of the other people on the post, braising is the key to good shoulders and shanks (neck too). I coat my shoulders in a blend of ground chili peppers (not for the heat, for the flavor), sear the outside, and slow roast them in home-ade hot-sauce, beer and turkey stock. 200 degrees for several hours will have the meat falling off of the bone. I generally pick the meat and make homemade tortillas for some crowd pleasing street tacos. If you wanna REALLY go the extra mile, take the braising liquid and simmer it down, when well reduced add a bit of butter, red wine vinegar, and flour to thicken. Drizzle that over the meat, it's awesome.

If spicy is not your thing but you want something different, try adapting a tagine. The slow process of this method of cooking is great for any tough cut, and the blend of spices is certain to intrigue bored palates.

Just thinking of braised shanks for the weekend. Have a bunch.
I sometimes go the crockpot route. Pretty much like stated but I cook longer and use beef stock/water. Letting out steam cooks broth down & thickens at the end,but you gotta check it.
With the cold temps it will be in a cast pot in the oven after stovetop braising/browning.
Hanks recipe.

Made them again tonight. More garlic and diced up a jalapeno pepper. Couple bay leaves. Still not what I'm looking for. Needs more flavor yet! Still good, still tender, but still a bit bland. Guess I'm too picky!20200328_171942.jpg

My little kids call Oso Bucco made with shanks "awesome busco!" They love it and I love it with the addition of the grematola recipe from Meateater cookbook. Served with Polenta, I use Jiffy cornbread mix instead of just cornmeal because it is so sweet and flavorful, and I use deer stock instead of water for more flavor.

Had a small bowl for lunch yesterday and by adding a little black pepper it woke up the taste. Going to add some sour cream to the gravy (plus pepper) and serve it over some egg noodles tonight.

Back