Nebraska “slam” attempt

I'm really upset I'm not hunting in NE this year due to the nasty fire that happened but I'm really starting to regret it as I'm thinking I need to meet you. You sound like a good hunting buddy to have in camp ;)
I’m kinda like Walmart. If you’re feeling bad about yourself just hang out with me for a while and you’ll realize just how much better you are.

Covered just short 6 miles this morning, no sightings or bugles. 83 now on its way to 95. My guide and I decided we’re gonna head an hour or so west of here to see if we can get eyes on a big buck antelope on some ground I have permission on.

The switch will flip on the elk sooner or later.

View attachment 237131Pickup: check
Tractor for extraction and loading: check
Full tax write off for the whole hunt: check

Gotta take this tractor to a dealer almost where I’m going so I figured I’d kill 2 birds with 1 stone. West bound and down.
87,000 new IRS agents are drawing straws to see who gets to audit you next year. 😀

I'm really upset I'm not hunting in NE this year due to the nasty fire that happened but I'm really starting to regret it as I'm thinking I need to meet you. You sound like a good hunting buddy to have in camp ;)
THATS crazy talk for ya!

I going to NE next week for grouses, but I'm gonna keep low and outa sight. Feels kinda dangerous with him out roaming around.

How did chasing lopes go @Stocker ? Where you been?
That got scraped not long after I posted. I spotted a bull bedded in a small cedar draw. I couldn’t tell exactly how big he was so I made a loop to get close to him. Eventually I got to a spot I could peek over at about 70 yards. It was that 6x1 or 2. I got back out and asked my mother in law if she wanted to make a move to him. She decided the mile and a half of mostly flat ground was too much. (They are WT tree stand hunters) so I was a little frustrated by the lack of effort. My son was starting to feel it in his legs after that so he decided to “glass” from the truck with the rest of them.

I threw some snacks and water in my pack and went into the canyons, against everything I’d been told. Every person I’ve talked to up here says the elk don’t go into the canyons after the corn is tall enough to hide in. I was just thinking with the heat they may lay down in the bottom of it along the main creek or one of the cool springs in the fingers. I spent about 7 hours poking around, following the creek, going up the narrow fingers, hitting any open meadows or benches. As the fingers narrow it is just choked cedars and scrub oak trees. You almost have to crawl through it. Turns out they are right. I’m not saying there’s no elk in them, but I never cut a track or seen any sign they’ve been there recently. It only makes sense. They have all the food, water, and cover they could want up on the flats so why go up and down in there.

I got up out of there about 7:30. I was 3/4 of a mile from a pivot I have permission on and 5 from the truck. I walked over to the pivot corner with s shelter belt and a bull has been in there raking trees and a scrape.

Pretty uneventful day, but I guess I scratched that itch of knowing if they were going into the canyons or not.

As frustrating as the “right place, right time” game is to me it appears that’s where this is headed with them buried in the corn. It’ll eventually change and they’ll start being out more during daylight the further we get into September. I just like the run and gun, find them and kill the style more than let’s just sit here and hope they pop out style.

Probably would’ve found the elk if I’d have taken #MTNops and #Kepthsmmering

0FF283AA-A739-409A-92A5-12111CDC810C.jpeg692C76F2-ADD6-44E2-B025-DD0184006C27.jpegA0386ADF-CFBB-4BA6-B35B-EB0D5B8AAEAF.jpeg2E0C4570-9484-4F7D-B046-EF0EB99173EA.jpeg5E3088E9-AFAF-4F55-BCDA-B06A9EA8BF83.jpeg

That got scraped not long after I posted. I spotted a bull bedded in a small cedar draw. I couldn’t tell exactly how big he was so I made a loop to get close to him. Eventually I got to a spot I could peek over at about 70 yards. It was that 6x1 or 2. I got back out and asked my mother in law if she wanted to make a move to him. She decided the mile and a half of mostly flat ground was too much. (They are WT tree stand hunters) so I was a little frustrated by the lack of effort. My son was starting to feel it in his legs after that so he decided to “glass” from the truck with the rest of them.

I threw some snacks and water in my pack and went into the canyons, against everything I’d been told. Every person I’ve talked to up here says the elk don’t go into the canyons after the corn is tall enough to hide in. I was just thinking with the heat they may lay down in the bottom of it along the main creek or one of the cool springs in the fingers. I spent about 7 hours poking around, following the creek, going up the narrow fingers, hitting any open meadows or benches. As the fingers narrow it is just choked cedars and scrub oak trees. You almost have to crawl through it. Turns out they are right. I’m not saying there’s no elk in them, but I never cut a track or seen any sign they’ve been there recently. It only makes sense. They have all the food, water, and cover they could want up on the flats so why go up and down in there.

I got up out of there about 7:30. I was 3/4 of a mile from a pivot I have permission on and 5 from the truck. I walked over to the pivot corner with s shelter belt and a bull has been in there raking trees and a scrape.

Pretty uneventful day, but I guess I scratched that itch of knowing if they were going into the canyons or not.

As frustrating as the “right place, right time” game is to me it appears that’s where this is headed with them buried in the corn. It’ll eventually change and they’ll start being out more during daylight the further we get into September. I just like the run and gun, find them and kill the style more than let’s just sit here and hope they pop out style.

Probably would’ve found the elk if I’d have taken #MTNops and #Kepthsmmering

View attachment 237430View attachment 237431View attachment 237432View attachment 237433View attachment 237434
I don't know of this lengthy and detailed hunt update helps or hurts this thread. Mixed emotions

90 degree afternoon wasn’t a waste. We went on a little dove hunt and my son killed his first grouse. Killed this one and rocked another on 2 shots. Woulda taken me a box to do that. View attachment 237574
well duh, he clearly is a superior hunter than you. Remember he is the guide. Just listen and follow what he does and you might have a chance

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back