Nebraska “slam” attempt

I’ve been fortunate enough to hunt quite a bit. Never anything exotic or Alaska, but a lot of hunting. I’ve had some great days. Killing nice deer, antelope, and elk with a bow, some with a rifle. When you see a kid put in the work to be successful and the excitement they have it’s all worth it. I told my wife tonight if I never fill another tag, but I can have my kids, or any other kid with me that can I’d be just fine.

Hell, we had a great time watching turkeys fly down and watching fat red squirrels fighting. It’s just fun to be out, and it’s more fun with someone who doesn’t take it for granted.

Congrats to both you and your son! Quite the day! The raft story just makes it that much better and it’s actually believable coming from one of your posts! 🤣

I always imagine that animals somehow find a way to have the last laugh before they succumb to a gunshot. This was a good example but a notched tag is a notched tag. Congrats! Good luck keeping the girls off of him this week!

Congrats to both you and your son! Quite the day! The raft story just makes it that much better and it’s actually believable coming from one of your posts! 🤣

I was telling my wife how hard it was to get out and how tired I was from getting it out, then dragging it down across the creek and to the truck. She looks at me like only she can do and says “you wouldn’t have it any other way” and rolls her eyes. She’s right. There’s something about the struggle that makes it better. 🤣

Another little tidbit is the rifle he used. My family before my dad didn’t really hunt. My dad bought a ruger M77 mark II 243 and killed his first big buck with it. I killed my first deer with it, he gave me the rifle. (Which created an obsession with Ruger M77’s). So I had my son use that rifle, when we got done I told him it was his now. We’ll see how long that rifle can get someone’s 1st deer.

Always cool to have a family heirloom involved.

He has an extra good story about how you had to Huck Finn his deer out of the drink, but I would have made him wade out for the buck. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have kids. :)

Always cool to have a family heirloom involved.

He has an extra good story about how you had to Huck Finn his deer out of the drink, but I would have made him wade out for the buck. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have kids. :)
The pond got dig out a few years ago and I bet it’s 10-15’ deep across most of it. I could got him a life jacket and made him swim it back though. 🤣

Another little tidbit is the rifle he used. My family before my dad didn’t really hunt. My dad bought a ruger M77 mark II 243 and killed his first big buck with it. I killed my first deer with it, he gave me the rifle. (Which created an obsession with Ruger M77’s). So I had my son use that rifle, when we got done I told him it was his now. We’ll see how long that rifle can get someone’s 1st deer.
Funny I tried to get my daughter to use the gun I used to kill my first handful of bucks.
At first glance she said, "that looks broken. Does it even work?"
"Of course!" Well, it actually didn't but I eventually got it fixed.
Upon shooting it, "I'd rather not hunt if that's my option."

The snow has turned up an insane amount of deer. A few single raghorns straggling around. No cows. Some guys say the herds are east. Some west, some say they haven’t been here yet, some say they’re gone. I do know they left the area we usually find them and where I killed my bull last year the first week of September and haven’t been back. Very frustrating with the large mounts of private that don’t allow hunting to get any idea where the elk are.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back