Nebraska moose

sbhooper

We have had a moose wandering around this area now for some time. This seems to be happening more and more. I can never remember for most of my life, having moose roaming through Nebraska.

I personally think this phenomena is occurring more frequently due to the high numbers of wolves pressuring the moose in the mountains of Wyoming. I think that they are leaving the mountains for the safety of lower river systems.

The other theory by Game and Parks-which to me is BS-is that they are being driven out by larger bulls during the rut. If this crap was true, then it would have been happening forever.

Comments?

Doubtful its wolves...the nearest herd to Nebraska is the Snowies and in particular the moose that live between Cheyenne and Laramie. Not many, if any, wolves in that country.

I think it has more to do with moose occupying a good portion of their habitat and just the nature of some individuals to wander.

We have had a moose wandering around this area now for some time. This seems to be happening more and more. I can never remember for most of my life, having moose roaming through Nebraska.

I personally think this phenomena is occurring more frequently due to the high numbers of wolves pressuring the moose in the mountains of Wyoming. I think that they are leaving the mountains for the safety of lower river systems.

The other theory by Game and Parks-which to me is BS-is that they are being driven out by larger bulls during the rut. If this crap was true, then it would have been happening forever.

Comments?

I would think Moose tend to wonder, especially young bulls looking for mates.

I remember seeing pictures of one just outside of Carlin, Nevada near a gold mine. It would be a decent journey from more moose friendly country in Idaho to the high desert of Nevada. 75 miles or so.

Moose love low wet areas with plenty of food. MN has the much larger Canada Moose while the western mountains have the Shiras Moose. Lots of moose thriving in North Dakota and other areas with fewer wolves.

Moose will wander in search of mates rather than being pushed by other means. The fact that there are more moose in Nebraska shows that its more than a wandering bull. Seems like they are likely pushing out of other terrains.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back