Caribou Gear Tarp

Nearly impossible to draw Wyo. Antelope areas

wk4036

I have been looking at the draw odds from last year trying to pick an area that is pretty hard to draw with 10 points so I can use that area for my 1st choice as to retain my points so I can come out again next year, so do any of you have anything to add other than the posted odds from last year?
Area 60 looks to be hard to draw.
Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
I have successfully not drawn unit 60 two years in a row. Maybe someday I’ll accidentally draw it, but it won’t be this year.

As you’ve already stated, based on your goals, it pretty much starts and ends with the draw odds. In 2019, 60 appears to have been the best bet for your goals. The only thing I can really offer is to see how the 2020 tag allocations play out at the end of April/early May. Although I’d wager 60 (or maybe 61) will likely be right up there as a top option. Good luck.

How many points do you have?
Not anywhere near enough to draw it. Either 2 or 3, I think. Last year that was a 13 point unit, and there are still 8 people who had 13 points last year and didn't draw it. So it's probably a 14 point unit for 2020. But I guess you could pull that ONE NR random tag.

Your aren't going to draw 60. What unit are you holding out for with 10 points? There are so many good places to hunt with B&C potential with that many points.

I have been looking at the draw odds from last year trying to pick an area that is pretty hard to draw with 10 points so I can use that area for my 1st choice as to retain my points so I can come out again next year, so do any of you have anything to add other than the posted odds from last year?
Area 60 looks to be hard to draw.
Thanks, Frank

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but I'm not sure I understand the question completely. It sounds like you're looking to get a tag this year and keep your points for the next year, so your plan is to draw this year's tag with your second choice. But, do you mean that you're hoping to hunt 68 this year? (I'm pretty sure that would be impossible). So, are you planning on hunting an easy-to-draw unit that you just didn't name, this year? Or, are you not hunting this year, in which case, why not just buy a point?

I was planning to use 68 as my second choice and hopefully hunt this year, do points have any impact on a person's 2nd or 3rd choice of areas?

Last edited:
WY looks at all first choice applications before moving on to second choices. There won’t be any 68 tags left after all first-choice applications are considered.

Last edited:
Yeah, better burn them on 68 now. You will probably never catch up to the other units that take more points. You may also never catch up to 68 ever again, so might want to explore some new areas after this years hunt.

I’d burn your points on an upper tier area now and get out there. 68 is a solid option. There my be some other areas that may interest you also with that number of points. PM me if you are interested in any other recommendations.

I think the best way to pick a high point unit is to check it out. Your idea of getting a second choice makes sense so while you're there just plan on scouting some other areas for future hunts.

Back