Native American opposition to constitutional right to hunt.

Nunyacreek

Listening to a story tonight on NPR about the Native American caucus in the Montana legislature they mentioned that they had opposed the effort to a constitutional right to hunt in Montana. I know very little about the proposed constitutional amendment but was curious about this opposition. I presume it is a sovereignty issue, but couldn’t immediately see how it might affect sovereignty. Anybody have a better explanation or some background? Is there a thread on this that I missed? Just wondering.

There is already that Montana Constitutional right, but the proposal was to amend and expand it somewhat, specifically to include "trapping". The most vocal opponents of the amendment were those opposed to the "trapping" additional language. 'Not sure of the specific opposition by Native American Caucus, but there may be articles to be found which would clarify.

There was also concerns around the "including the right to use PRESENT means and methods" language and its possible implications for future management goals, season structures, etc.

Back