Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

National debt / balanced budget?

Sounds like a sales tax.

all i know is that if the lions share of us americans in the middle class found a way to get our employers to pay our 75-150k salaries entirely in stocks and options. then, we get our banks to then give us collateralized zero interest loans in equivalent amounts that don't get taxed as income that we use to pay our mortgages and buy food... then holy chit congress would write a bill to tax those loans as income faster than i can log into hunt talk when i first sit down at my desk in the morning.

You can't say bootstraps anymore....

I've never known a person who genuinely wanted to work that was unable to find some sort of work and eventually build that into better work. . . .

giphy-downsized.gif

I've never known a person who genuinely wanted to work that was unable to find some sort of work and eventually build that into better work. . . .

giphy.gif
I have met people that have been dragged down my their circumstances. One of the smartest hardest working kids I know... just could not escape his crazy family bs :(

His choice not to cut them out of his life... but also..

all i know is that if the lions share of us americans in the middle class found a way to get our employers to pay our 75-150k salaries entirely in stocks and options. then, we get our banks to then give us collateralized zero interest loans in equivalent amounts that don't get taxed as income that we use to pay our mortgages and buy food... then holy chit congress would write a bill to tax those loans as income faster than i can log into hunt talk when i first sit down at my desk in the morning.
Give it whirl, and see what happens.

Congress doesn't write bills... @Ben Lamb footnote*

I have met people that have been dragged down my their circumstances. One of the smartest hardest working kids I know... just could not escape his crazy family bs :(

His choice not to cut them out of his life... but also..

" . . . genuinely. . ."

I'm being facetious for sure . . . but also. . .

I'm not saying it's easy either. But either the long term goal is more important or it isn't. Priorities, etc. And sometimes life just sucks it out of you and some people have it harder than others. My absolutism was the most facetious part, but I think the point generally stands.

I'm a survival of the fittest and pick yourself up by your bootstraps kind of guy. So I'm going to sit on the sideline and watch this one unfold. lol
You must have missed all the "When can I retire?" threads. LOL. I don't think the national debt is going to be paid back by people picking themselves up by the bootstraps.

Enjoyed the fast food economics discussion. Great points by everyone.

I agree with the general take of fast food restaurants having lost their corner on the market for cheap labor. In a lot of ways I think digital age gig type jobs (Uber type jobs) have replaced those fast food jobs as an easy-to-aquire income for students, teenagers etc.

I would also assume fast food looks a lot different five years from now, as I don't think fast food can make their jobs desirable enough to craft a useful workforce to run fast food restaurants at preCovid standards. I think we'll continue to see them lean into a kiosk model with simple and streamlined menus, minimal human staffing and more and more work performed by computers.

At the same time though, (and part of why I feel little sympathy for "help wanted" fast food places) Chic fil a has gone in the opposite direction, kinda, while still implementing a bunch of postCovid changes. They've all reconfigured drive thru lines, replaced drive thru windows with doorways, sort of de-emphasized indoor dining etc. But they're still all staffed to the gills, mostly with high schoolers. You'll never see less than ten people on shift working in a Chic fil a, and that's not counting kitchen staff. Most fast food places it's like two or three at a time max nowadays.

Exception that proves the rule I guess.

Man I’ve been at work all day and missed out on the debate! So clearly we agree the Roth is the way to go! And yes—this belongs in the money and finances section on a hunting site because as soon as I can retire I plan on spending the rest of my retirement days squandering the remaining cash on decoys, dogs, guns, tags, and sherpas!

Just to add to this. Even here in small town North Dakota about every place is hiring. But like the one article says i know several people who have applied for jobs with not even a call back. There are a few businesses that are on social media always apologizing their hours change due to staffing issues, but there are people i know had their kids apply there without even a call back "fast food places".

Makes a guy wonder in how many instances business are choosing to just not operate in the traditional manner/hours because they pandemic proved they could.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back